General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching Prices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-15 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Coaching Prices
I am seriously considering having a coach now that I am getting into longer distances. I have briefly looked around at different coaches and the majority seem pretty pricey. I'm not opposed to paying a higher price if it is worth my while, but what is a reasonable price to pay for an online coach. Are there any coaches that you recommend? I would have to have an online coach since I live out here in the East Sticks of Texas and don't know of any coaches in the area.

2004-12-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: #92964

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Coaching Prices
grvfrog - 2004-12-15 2:25 PM

I am seriously considering having a coach now that I am getting into longer distances. I have briefly looked around at different coaches and the majority seem pretty pricey. I'm not opposed to paying a higher price if it is worth my while, but what is a reasonable price to pay for an online coach. Are there any coaches that you recommend? I would have to have an online coach since I live out here in the East Sticks of Texas and don't know of any coaches in the area.

I train at a center in Houston with my swim and bike coaches 2-3 times a week. I train 6 days a week in all. The training assessment and plan is provided by Peak Centre of Canada. The can do a satellite training program where you come to Houston once a month or every other month for assessments so they can adjust your training plan. It's well worth it for me. There's a few IM vets that train there that have taken a lot of time off of their PB at the IM distance. Here are the links:

http://www.trivantage.us
http://www.peakcentre.ca

The Trivantage site details all of the services. I am on the multisport plan. Good Luck!!

Bill
2004-12-15 4:25 PM
in reply to: #92998

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
What is the cost of the the http://www.peakcentre.ca?

I did not see on the website.

Dave
2004-12-15 4:58 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Costs are variable, but I believe all of the Peak programs are listed on the Trivantage site with the cost. You actually pay Trivantage for their service and the Peak program is included in the cost. I'm on the multisport program, which includes the Peak Running, Peak Power Cycling, Total Immersion Masters Swimming, the lactate test, and of course access to the endless pools and Computrainer.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the facilities, training,etc.. I've been training there for a few months. I live 100 miles from the training center and I drive there 2-3 times a week. My work schedule is flexible. I pick my work shifts around my training! It's also 2 blocks from a Central Market and about 2 miles from Whole Foods. I eat and shop after I train!!
2004-12-15 7:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Hey, east Texas neighbor (I live in Shreveport)! I use Marty Gaal, an on-line coach, and I pay him $60 per month. In return, I get training plans and feedback on whatever I email him about (races, injuries, etc.)

I hired him following my last tri of the season, but I have gotten faster in my 5K races, and I feel more accountable for my workouts and weight-training. And, yes, I know that I could do this all on my own. My preference is to get the workout in and pay for the research.

However, at this level, I'm not purchasing day-to-day access, nor do I expect rapid feedback. He is actually really good at getting back to me, but based on the contract, he doesn't need to. I've been very pleased.

A huge HOWEVER: you are young with unlimited potential, especially on the bike. I have no idea if he would meet your needs. My sense is that he would, but I have no idea since I'm older and of limited potential.
2004-12-15 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
I am using Mike Plumb with Tripower.org for my IM training. I pay $75/ month. The cool part is he checks my logs here at BT and he keeps his logs here as well. I know Mike has trained a lot of people from experienced triathletes to absolute beginners and he taylors your workouts based around your schedule and your needs. I know Steve- has a coach, but I have no idea what he is paying.
Hope that helps
Tom

2004-12-15 10:20 PM

Austin, TX .... Y'all
I think this is a matter of you get what you pay for. For me cycling of all things was the hardest to improve, so I sought out a cycling coach that knew I was also doing the swimming and running. Believe me, finding an expert on something makes a huge difference. I ended up using a guy here in Austin,TX. www.KevinLivingston.com . If cycling is your weakness he's great. If swimming is, start with the total immersion dvd or go to one of there "sessions". Pricey, but once again...you get what you pay for. As far as running, I have to believe that's just a matter of getting off your butt and doing it....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching Prices Rss Feed