S.P.A.R.C of Volusia
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up with my son at 6:00am. He ate an oatmeal bar and was very nervous. I ate a banana and drank some water. Since the race is a block from our house, we decided to jog over and get his race packet. We did that and saw a bunch of people that we know. He started to get excited so we jogged back to our house, pinned his number on and went back to the start.
Event warmup:

My son is 8 years old so there is no real warmup! I tried to get him to stretch but he said they don't do that in PE at school so he didn't want to do it today. ha ha ha Ahhh, to be young again and have such pliable muscles.
Run
  • 40m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

We jogged and walked and sprinted and walked. It was an interesting strategy that I hope I never do again but it was fun to run with a kid!
What would you do differently?:

I ran with my son in his first-ever 5K. I wouldn't have changed a thing or traded this experience for anything!!
Post race
Warm down:

No warm-down if you are 8 years old! He drank a grape soda since all of the gatorade was gone. He also ate some cookies and 1/2 a bagel. They had a kiddie dash that my 4 yr old ran in. Then, I went for a run with some of the other runners.

Event comments:

The race is growing each year. I will continue to run it as long as we live in the area!

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:08 | 03 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Our time at mile 2 was 26:20.
Course: Great winding course out on the street and then back. The last 1/2 mile was on a hard-packed shell road with large oaks covering the path.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-06 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: SPARC 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SPARC 5K Rss Feed