KITH
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 3s
Overall Rank = 129/228
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 49/88
Pre-race routine:

Hit the bathroom two times and sat in the car for awhile so as not to get too chilled. Stretched my left quad, which was feeling really painful. I was worried on this race because of the leg issue I'd been dealing with all week. But who can resist a race called "The 12ks of Christmas?" I mean really!
Event warmup:

Stretching and light jogging. Got a 5 minute chair massage which really hurt and tickled at the same time. Still, I felt looser, and it came with 2 free half hour massages! Bonus! I'm going to take them up on that one when I return from California.
Run
  • 1h 10m 3s
  • 12 kms
  • 05m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Started out feeling just wrong. I thought to myself, "This is going to be the first race that I haven't enjoyed." I was kind of bummed by that. I had my new Toady with me (iPod) and he sang to me "Big Bad Voodoo Daddy" for the first 2ks, but then he gave out. Fortunately, being the ever-aging girl scout, I had a backup strapped to my fuel belt! I switched the headphones to the RIO and listened to Abba the rest of the race. Abba is very motivating. If you're in the mood for it, the fast funky beat keeps you moving at a nice clip. If you're not in the mood for it, you just run faster so it will be over sooner.

About km 3 my left quad started setting into the run. I'd been having problems with it all week because after a hard run on Wednesday I did 30 minutes of leg work, like a dolt. Then on Thursday I ran 4 miles, like a dolt. Then on Friday I rested, but on Saturday I ran 5 miles, like a dolt. So I'm lucky my leg didn't just say "Up yours, Klementsen!" when I asked it to run 12ks, even if it was a cute title.

Fortunately about the same I started feeling better, physically, the precipitation stopped mamby pambying around and it rained good and proper! I mean come on! Are we Washingtonians or NOT? Don't give us this "mist" crap! If you're gonna rain, commit dammit! So that meant the rest of the run was spent looking down to avoid puddles, lakes, and the ever-growing river that ran past us in the gutters.

Second half of the race rocked. Once I hit 6ks my mental enjoyment matched my physical enjoyment (or maybe it was just "Dancing Queen" playing in my head) and I was able to really put the pedal to the medal, for me. Splits for the second half were excellent, with a number of sub 9 miles. Since this was a hilly course, that is an awesome pace for me! Actually the hills really helped work the knots out of my quad. I think I'm actually starting to enjoy hill running.

The last 2ks I really pushed it and came in very strong. As I rounded the corner leading back into the park, there was a welcome sight! Roy was standing in the rain, soaked to the skin, holding up a notebook that had "Go Tory" written on it in big fat letters! I smiled as big as I could and laughed and clapped and yelled out "I love you!" He snapped my picture and I ran in. Post race we waited around for the drawing. Since there were so few runners, there's always a better chance of winning something. Well of course I did win something, a 3 month membership to Bally's Gym in Kirkland, land of the Kirks. Unfortunately it's a little out of my way to drive 45 minutes to a gym. Ah well! I did get two bananas and some bagels and a Clif bar!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe been a little kinder to my legs the week before.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of stretching to work out that quad. Coffee at Starbucks. Shopping therapy. I looked HOT in my running tights, race shirt, and wet hair crammed under my hat. Yeah baby!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My leg, the rain, hills...but honestly I'm pretty pleased with my pace.

Event comments:

This is only the 2nd year of the 12ks of Christmas. I'd do it again next year, but it wouldn't be a priority. I'd like to see it get better, though. I'm sure it will! The 12ks marked off with hand painted signs with the 12 days of Christmas characters on it (you know, lords-a-leaping, ladies dancing, etc) was a really fun touch.

Last updated: 2004-12-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:03 | 12 kms | 05m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 49/88
Overall: 129/228
Performance: Good
Started out very slow, but really picked up second half. Definitely did negative splits, by far.
Course: Hilly and very very wet. Wet and hilly. The first part felt like we were running through a fog bank. Lake Washington was on the East and you could hardly see the water, it was so foggy. I hoped it would get better once we were in town. Nope, it started to rain good and proper! What the heck? We were running up hills with torrents of water rushing past us on the right. It made for a difficult course because you had to watch for puddles and slick spots as you ran, so you couldn't enjoy the scenery...which you couldn't see anyhow because it was so foggy. In short, not a very fun course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes