Ultramax
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 3/94
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Good 'ol brown sugar and maple oatmeal. also packed my standard pb&j sammich to snack on. Didn't have to get up until about 7am, so that was nice, because this race didn't start until 10am.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, I hung out in the car for a while, obsessing over what to wear. It was going to be windy and bitchin' cold out there, so dressing appropriately would be key.

Ran 1.5-2 miles at an easy pace, just trying to get this chill out of me. Ranger5oh and I did this together and added a few pickups to really get ready for the start.
Run
  • 10m 57s
  • 1.7 miles
  • 06m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out towards the front of the front, and then let the lead group go. I was already pushing LT, and burning up with my crazy layers of clothes. In fact, I offered them for sale about 5 minutes into the race, at very reasonable prices. No takers.
I was caught between "hold back" and "don't let the front pack get too far away" during this run. I knew some of the runners wouldn't be able to keep their lead on the bike, so I was happy to have some people to chase early on. I spend the last mile of this run trying to "bridge up" to the leaders, but not blow up my HR TOO much. I think I finished the first run in about 14th place.
What would you do differently?:

I might push it a little harder, to keep closer to the leaders. Once out of sight, the also get out of mind, and that's no good.
Also, I would wear less clothes for a run-only event, than I did for this. I'm just saying.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Swapped shoes, slapped the helmet on, and I was out. No fussing around.

Would have tried the flying leap onto the bike, but with it being wet, and only having ridden outside 2x this season, I saved myself the embarrassment.
Bike
  • 52m 58s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan was to be a little conservative for the first 8 miles, then PUSH to the finish. I kept this in mind on the way out. I was chomping at the bit to let loose, even though I was already breathing loudly, and making my legs hurt.
I passed just a couple people during the first half of the ride, so I figured this was good. I think I only got passed once permanently. I knew if I could hold position early on, I'd definitely make up some time during the final 10 miles when I really got after it. On the way back, with the wind, when I suspect other people were happy to see their speed increase because of the tailwind, I wanted more. I kept pushing and pushing, reelling people in the whole time. There weren't too many out there, though, I soon realized. I could see the lead motorcycle ahead in the distance, and I was shocked to count only 5 cyclists out in front! I kept pushing.
At the 15 mile mark, a front tire emerged beside me. What the hell? I was already going FAST I thought. But I was feeling good, and I was under strict instructions to PUSH. So I did. I never let him draw even with me. He sat in my draft produced by the cross-wind briefly. I cranked harder to drop him. I thought he was gone. Until a minute or two later. He was back. That's it! This time he gets put away for good. I downshifted and mashed. 26mph. Not enough. 27mph, that's better. 28mph. He faded behind me... and I was that much closer to the guys in front of me. I was gaining.

Can't say I'd change the plan or the execution. I gave a huge amount of effort considering there was a run to get done at the end.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Again, no messing around. Switched shoes and ditched the helmet and I was gone.
Run
  • 11m 7s
  • 1.7 miles
  • 06m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Now I was feeling some hurt! My breathing was shallow and labored. I sounded out of sync I'm sure. But my footsteps were quick and deliberate. Those 2 guys I was chasing who were so close together only had a 25yd gap on me at this point. Don't fold now! Somebody told me I was in 5th place. I surged and moved my way into 4th. I told the guy he had a great ride, and I just couldn't catch him no matter what I did. He replied, "Thanks. I'm paying for it now." He faded back as I ran as hard as I could without inducing vomiting.
I was finally starting to settle into a good pace, and the run was almost over. There's not much room for mistakes, or comebacks in a race like this. With a mile to go, I caught and passed the last guy I could see. He said, "Good race." I couldn't even muster up a word, and now I feel bad about that. My breathing was a mess, and I was on the verge of puking.
A girl on mt.bike was leading me into the finish, telling me I was in third place, and that the finish line was straight ahead on this street. I was enjoying the moment, but suffering in the breathing department! Moments later, she told me that there was one guy closing on me, just 10 seconds back. Yikes!
I dug a little deeper and pumped my arms furiously to hold him off. Dry heaving at the line, having gone as hard as I could, at last I finished. It took longer than expected because of the weather, but... I did it!
I finally got a podium finish.

Not sure what I could do differently. Maybe there will be some lessons learned in the next few days.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged around and stretched very lightly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe if I were training for sprints and such, I could be faster. But all things considered, I'm thrilled with me finish.

Event comments:

Ultramax always does a great job of getting things done right. They even had the results posted online BEFORE I got home. It was well done.

Last updated: 2008-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:10:57 | 01.7 miles | 06m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/94
Performance: Average
Avg HR - 174
Course: Flat route through some New Town neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
T1
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:52:58 | 18 miles | 20.39 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Avg - 172
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Very flat out and back course with several turns. Every couple miles would either be a nasty head/cross-wind, or a great push from the back. Speed fluctuated constantly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:07 | 01.7 miles | 06m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 170
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-13 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: John Howard New Town Duathlon

2008-04-13 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1334356

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: John Howard New Town Duathlon
WOW. You seriously are crazy! Congrats on the podium finish! Awesome race report
2008-04-14 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO

GREAT JOB!!... 3rd place overall... whoop whoop!!!

congrats

Josh

2008-04-16 10:33 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
very, very nice!  impressive effort (both physical and mental)!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Howard New Town Duathlon Rss Feed