General Discussion Race Reports! » Pure Austin Splash and Dash Summer Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pure Austin Splash and Dash Summer Series - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Jack and Adams
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 29s
Overall Rank = 33/47
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Did Ironman Arizona on Sunday so I was looking for a way to get out and get the blood moving and the lactic acid feel out of my legs. My 10-year-old, Madison wanted to run, so we entered the race as a relay. I swam and she ran. We were the only relay so we won our age group. It didn't matter because it was a blast and Madi was stoked.
Event warmup:

I did about 200 yards of easy swimming then some 25 yard efforts. Madi did some stretching and short jogging, then waited for me to finish the swim.
Swim
  • 10m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got right behind the super star local athletes and decided to just see if I could hold some feet for as long as possible. There was only 47 people who started so the open water start was easy and quick. It was a real joy compared to IMAZ. I was able to jump on some feet from the very beginning and go about half way with no problems. I dropped off the feet after the fast boys decided to up the pace at the end. At that point, I just eased back and cruised into the swim finish to hand off to Madison for the run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I think we had the fastest transition since I didn't have to change and Madison was ready to go:)
Run
  • 21m 49s
  • 1.86 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This is Madison (10 years old): As my dad swam towards the end of the water I was happy, scared, and excited. When I started running up the water shoot I started gaining power. I wasn't used to running on a gravel trail and it was hard and I started looseing energy. As I was running 10 people passed me and 2 people (my dad's friend Richard, amd some other guy in a red speedo) lapped me. Every one was saying great job and I said thanks. THe last 3/4 of the last lap I met a very nice lady, Jennifer. I ran to the finish with her. When I was done I took a couple breaths then asked for water. Once I was watered up we walked back to the start and I got a cookie and sprite. I said hi to a boy I used to do gymnastics with and then Dad and I went to Chilis for dinner. The day after I heard the same question over and over again, "what's that on your arm." "It's my # from the race" I would respond. That day was fun and I want to do it again with my Dad. The only hard part was running up hill, in gravel!

Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the start and got a hot dog and some chips, then topped it off with some cookies and a drink. Then Madison and I went to Chili's for dinner. I guess we worked up an appetite. I was fun to hang out with some local racers in such a small race. We both want to do this every month to see how we can improve.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing and Ironman 2 days before and no run training yet for Madison.

Event comments:

This was a great idea and something that we will continue to do every month. There is no pressure and small enough to enjoy for a Dad and a daughter to do together. I could care less where we finish. It was just fun to be out there with Madi and seeing her run with the BIG folks.

Last updated: 2008-04-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:40 | 820 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 7/47
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: Clockwise loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit:
Getting into shoes:
Running
00:21:49 | 01.86 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 41/47
Performance: Good
Course: 3x 1 km loops around the lake on a gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-17 3:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Pure Austin Splash and Dash Summer Series

2008-04-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1345575

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Subject: RE: Pure Austin Splash and Dash Summer Series
How fun! I"m planning on doing it in May.
2008-04-18 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
How fun that sounds! I'll have to check this out...maybe I should do 3 of them so each one of my kids will get a turn. Tell Madison congratulations for me!
2008-04-18 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Sounds like your daughter maybe should give you a few tips on running Mike! 

Very cool for you to get out with your daughter and race.  Kudos for encouraging your kids to lead an active lifestyle!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pure Austin Splash and Dash Summer Series Rss Feed