General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 57s
Overall Rank = 232/616
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/27
Pre-race routine:

Had a birthday party for our 5-year-old Friday night, so by the time we got everything cleaned up and my gear packed, I got to bed later than I wanted.

Up at 5:15- coffee made, bagel & banana in the car.

Got to Oxford by about 6:10. Registration and set-up were smooth and easy. Tons of eager volunteers make this all run smoothly.
Event warmup:

Visited the toilet about 8 times. Sipped Gatorade.
Swim
  • 09m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt great about this swim. I seeded myself slightly higher than last year (based on last year's results). I passed about 8 or 10 people and (I think) got passed only once. Not as much congestion this time--so I felt like I was appropriately seeded.

Based on how I felt about the swim, and what other races have commented, I suspect the chip time for this is off. This time is over a minute slower than last year, and I certainly felt better about the swim this time. No big deal...
What would you do differently?:

I think I could swim this faster, but I am nervous about coming out of the water exhausted going into my weakest event.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

All went fine. I ripped my race number off the pin while putting my shirt on, so it took a couple extra seconds to fix that.

I don't have speed laces in my new shoes yet.
Get a race belt
Bike
  • 49m 49s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 16.26 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my weakest link. I think I've gotten better, but quite honestly, I am undertrained.

I thought this year's course was harder than last year's. The hills were particularly cruel. I made it up them, but by the end of the course I was pretty wiped out.

It started raining about halfway through my ride... This made me a bit more reserved on the downhills and made visibilty tough.

I had fun on the bike --- which is a new and kind of nice feeling.

Train more. Get a better bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

No problems.
Run
  • 24m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a hard time getting started and finding my pace. I felt exhausted (due to my struggles (undertraining) on the bike). The run is usually my strongest area, so I knew I could go faster, I just felt super-slow.

It started raining again.

Finally, right before the turnaround, I got into my groove. I started passing people and got excited about finishing strong.

I was picking runners ahead of me, targeting them to pass. I got passed by a couple of people.

There was a guy who was about 15 feet ahead of me. I had been behind him for about a mile. Finally, on the second to last turn before the sprint to finish, I made my move. I was going to pass him.

I made the turn and turned up the pace... and wiped out on the wet sidewalk. To quote myself, "aaaawwwwwww craaaaaaaaaaap!" I landed on my knee and elbow, and rolled once. The guy behind me dodged my carcass and asked if I was OK. I jumped up, quickly scanned to see how many people might have seen, and barely missed a step getting going again.

I could tell I was bleeding, but determined to finish at race pace... I almost caught up with the guy I was chasing, but didn't quite make it.

I did finish with a smile on my face... laughing at myself for falling and enjoying the rain and the enthusiasm of the crowd at the finish.

Start off stonger and find my legs sooner.

And seriously, who falls on the run?
Post race
Warm down:

I got cold pretty quickly, being wet and in the rain.

I assessed my damage. My knee was pretty bloody and looked pretty gross. My elbow and heel of my hand were scratched up but not bleeding.

I chatted with a couple guys I knew from the Y, said hi to a couple BTers, and grabbed a bagel.

I was eager to put on some dry clothes and clean up my knee, so I headed back to my car, cleaned up and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Serious lack of cycling training. Falling down.

Event comments:

THis is a great race with lots and lots of great volunteers. Thanks to all the MU students who got up early to cheer us... literally along the entire course.

IN 2007 this was my first triathlon, and I am a Miami alum, so I will probably make this a yearly race. Great job all around.

Finally... this is weird. So far this year I have run a 15K and done one tri. Both are races I did in 2007. For the 15k, my 2008 time was just about 90 seconds longer than 07. For this tri, my 2008 time was about 70 seconds slower than in 07. At least I have consistency going for me.

Last updated: 2008-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:29 | 400 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/616
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Serpentine swim up and back lanes. 8X50 meters
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:49 | 13.5 miles | 16.26 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop to SW of Oxford.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Up and back South Quad out-- repeat to return to finish
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2008-04-22 12:32 AM
in reply to: #1351496

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
congrats on a great race and sorry to hear about your fall. i think i may have said hi to you after the race (i was wearing the shorts with flames on them and standing with the white bike under the tent near the finish)

congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed