BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-04-28 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1354433

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Shepherd's mentor group - Full up!

Great job so far folks!

Sharyn - Your husband deserves major oatmeal cookies for the Ipod! Music really helps motivate me on the harder workouts, I think you'll like it!

Anne - I think you'll do just fine at your zoo 5k. (My first 5k was at a zoo too!) Just remember to go out slower than you think you should, then when you hit the halfway point, speed up. When you see the finish line, just dig in and sprint. It feels good!

Kristen - Good luck on the 5k in two days! Are you antsy yet? The last 5k I ran in (last october) was the first one I was able to run the whole thing. Slow and steady (I think some walkers finished before me!) but I did it. It's a great feeling of accomplishment. We can't wait to hear the details here on the thread and in your log!

Mary - hopefully you got your swim in, but good for you on a contingency plan for tomorrow morning.

To all with Ipods/mp3 players - There's a free podcast that offers techno-ish music at a beat that's good to run or bike to. It's Podrunner. I've used his mixes on some of my long rides and runs to help zone out.

As for me, I ran today (mostly due to the idea that I knew that you all were doing such a good job staying on task with your workouts). I took my dog (in the icon) on the run. She usually hates running, but I've decided to give her another shot. We ran 1/2 a mile before she was a bit worn, so we walked a bit, ran some, walked some. Then we hopped on the horse trail next to the multi-use path and walked down it back home. When we got to the apartment complex gate, I noticed that there was an open area to the right of the trail, so we checked it out. I let Tala off lead and we played a little bit of chase. Good for handler and dog alike! We'll be going on more runs together - I'd like to build her mileage to 3 miles so that she'll be my running buddy on my shorter evening runs.

2008-04-28 8:06 PM

User image

Naples, FL
I did manage to go to the spin class tonight and really enjoyed it. Fortunately I got there early and another lady taking the class showed me how to set up and use the bike, because when the instructor arrived he immediately turned up the music , turned out the lights and hit it. It wasn't until the class was over that he saw me and said ..Oh, are you new?!!! grrrrrr....

BTW, I weigh in at Weight Watchers every Mon. morning and I lost .6 lbs for a total of 7.4 lbs in 3 weeks! I am very excited!

Now that I am writing this, I can't remember names!!!! I wanted to encourage the one who is doing the 5k soon! It sounds like a fun event, to run at the zoo! I just signed myself up for a 5K on July 4th. I have never run any distance before.....so I definitely have my work cut out for me! I will be watching your progress to see how you do and learn any tips!!!

ttyl
Sharyn
2008-04-28 8:09 PM

User image

Naples, FL
Ok, had to come back after checking! Anne is running at the zoo in 2 weeks and Kristen has a race on Wed. Good luck to both you guys!!
2008-04-29 5:28 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
I went to my master swim group last night and there was only two of us. The instructor/coach spent a lot of time with me on breathing (I need to learn to exhale). The whole class for me was breathing drills. It rocked! I felt so much better about my swimming after the class. I only did 700yds in an hour because they were snail paced drills but that is why I go to the class. I know he will make me better and eventually faster.

Today is a running day for me. What kind of fun workouts does everyone have today? Great day to all!
2008-04-29 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
jo- way to go on the breathing drills!

kristen- good luck tomorrow! i'm sure your times will be a big improvement over last year.

the zoo race is at the toledo zoo- I see two of you are in Michigan and I'm only five minutes from the border. I need to look up the name of the race, but my husband and I are looking at a tri in East Tawas in September- it's their first year, but it would be my second tri this summer and it's very close to my mom's cottage. Once I find the name I'll post it. I can't remember anything and I blame it on sleep deprivation!

Great job on the spinning class- I keep wanting to call everyone by their user names, so sorry about that. But great job Sharyn!

And the weight loss- AWESOME! I give you tons and tons and tons of credit for doing Weight watchers- I am a weight watchers drop out. I just had to get my nutrition in order on my own a few years ago for health reasons. I was terrible at weight watchers and cheated on my points all the time.

Mary, hope you got your swim in.

I slacked yesterday- everyone is sick, snot is pouring everywhere. I have a recovery week this week so yesterday was a 35 minute bike. Today I'm hoping to do some of that bike in the basement on the trainers (with the baby in the pack and play), then stick the baby in the jog stroller and get in a quick run- schedule says 17minutes. We'll see. But that is what is on my schedule today.

Great job to Kate on your run with the dog! My dogs laugh at me and tell me to go get them a Snausage when I pick up their leashes. They do NOT run.
2008-04-29 9:52 AM

User image

Naples, FL
Anne, I am cracking up about your dogs telling you to get snausages! too funny!

Not sure what kind of workout I can get in today. I have a bit of a sore throat again this morning. I worked out a lot yesterday. I will probably try to do a walking DVD during DD's nap this afternoon.

I was a high school math and science teacher for 14 years before having my daughter, so now, to keep up on my skills and make a little extra money, I tutor 2 nights a week. I have 2 students to work with tonight. Once summer hits, I will have more evenings to work out.

Our condo has a pool, but I need to figure out the length so when I swim laps, I know how far I am going. It isn't the best pool for swimming laps, but it is all I have now, and it will do. Living this far south in Florida, the pool is open all year (heated for those "chilly"days)

Have a great day you guys!!!
Sharyn

2008-04-29 9:52 AM

User image

Naples, FL
Anne, I am cracking up about your dogs telling you to get snausages! too funny!

Not sure what kind of workout I can get in today. I have a bit of a sore throat again this morning. I worked out a lot yesterday. I will probably try to do a walking DVD during DD's nap this afternoon.

I was a high school math and science teacher for 14 years before having my daughter, so now, to keep up on my skills and make a little extra money, I tutor 2 nights a week. I have 2 students to work with tonight. Once summer hits, I will have more evenings to work out.

Our condo has a pool, but I need to figure out the length so when I swim laps, I know how far I am going. It isn't the best pool for swimming laps, but it is all I have now, and it will do. Living this far south in Florida, the pool is open all year (heated for those "chilly"days)

Have a great day you guys!!!
Sharyn
2008-04-29 9:53 AM

User image

Naples, FL
weird..it posted twice???
2008-04-29 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

I got in a swim this afternoon. A friend and I are doing walking intervals down at the lake this evening. Making progress!

Shepherd, that's great you can get your dog to run with you. Good to have a buddy. My dog would be outraged if I even suggested it.Surprised She's a stop-and-sniff sort.

Sharyn, good going on the weightloss! I'm glad you got some help with the bike in spinning class. Don't ya just hate the seats? Hope your sore throat is better.

Jo, that's so nice to have that much time with your coach. I'm thinking of going to a "stroke refinement" class at the community pool. Lord knows my stroke could use something! I feel like such a klutz, I'm worried that I won't be advanced enough for the class, but I thiink I'll get nerve up and try it.

Anne, I hope you folks are feeling better today. Well done, getting in your training with all that. Sounds like your dog and mine have alot in common!

Mary

2008-04-29 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Mary-I highly recommend a swim class. I called the gym for private lessons because I thought I was really bad and they recommended talking to the coach for the master swim group. It was the best thing I did for myself and much cheaper than lessons. I asked him to watch me swim and tell me if he thought I needed private lessons or if he would take me in the group. I highly encourage you to observe a class and/or talk with the instructor before thinking its too advanced. Good Luck! jo
2008-04-29 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Sharyn - Good on you for the spin class. I'm glad another class member helped you out with it! Also awesome job on working that weight off. My mother-in-law is a Weight Watcher and recently got to lifetime status. I went to a meeting with her and it strikes me as a really positive environment (well, except for the scales at the front with strategically-placed tissue boxes)

I also didn't know you were a former HS teacher! I'm a high school biology teacher, this year is my first year teaching high schoolers (I'm used to teaching college labs). It's a whole new world. But the kids are more or less good at heart. One told me today that he killed a small rattlesnake in his pool yesterday. He cut the head off and he said he thought about bringing the head and body to me, but he was afraid he'd get in trouble with the administrators. I told him that I appreciated the sentiment.  

Jo - sounds like the small turnout was a blessing rather than a curse! Drills can get tedious, but sticking with it will help a bunch (I wonder where I put my Total Immersion drill book...) Did your run go well?

Anne - Take care of the sick/wounded first! It's important to be more or less well when you train, otherwise the stress of training can make you more sick. Take it easy (especially because it's your recovery week)

Mary - Hopefully your walk at the lake was enjoyable tonight. Did you get eaten alive by the bugs?

As for me today, I rode my bike... 20 miles!! Originally I was planning on making about 14, but when I reached the 7 mile point, I decided I would at least push to the 9 mile mark before turning around, so that I could have the confidence boost of doing the length of my ride for my race in June. When I hit 9, I decided I should do 10. Then I turned around and came home. So today I rode further than I ever have, by about 6 miles! My legs did the usual protest until about 3 miles in, then they were fine. My arms, wrists, elbows, and shoulders were pretty stiff and my girl parts were hurting. I need some Chamois Butter for these kinds of rides, the regular bodyglide didn't cut it. I'm about to go get my recovery Chocolate Milk...

I'm about to make my rounds to your logs (Jo - I still can't see your's. :-) and then hit the shower and bed.  

2008-04-29 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

Kate, wow--20 miles. Good going. I know what you mean about our girl parts. They have yet to invent a bike saddle with enough cushion in the right spots.

it's just dinnertime here in Seattle, so I haven't gone for the walk yet. And thank goodness mosquitoes aren't much of a problem, unless it gets really hot. It's in the 50s right now and the rain has stopped--going to be great weather for the walk. I'm looking forward to it.

Jo, thanks for your ideas on the swim class. I'll definitely give it a try.

Mary

2008-04-30 5:09 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Kate, way to go with the biking. My girl parts are sore just reading about your experience. About 1 month ago I found out that you are supposed to go commando with bike shorts. I never knew. Keep up the good work. I have a tri seat on my bike but even that hurts.

I ran 2 miles last night. I am doing a 5k plan that I took off of runner's world smart coach. I don't know why you can't see my log. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Also, how do you put a picture up as an avatar. I notice you all have pictures and I can't figure out how to do that.

Have a great Wednesday everyone and Have FUN training! jo
2008-04-30 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I agree with Jo and talking to the coach before a class- I was a competitive swimmer in my very younger years but ended up taking a class with my husband to improve stroke technique. I thought I was too good for his silly class- you have to understand I originally taught my husband to swim and he was still horrible. Anyway, the coach improved my husband's swim tech 200%! And then when I saw how good he was, I signed up for the class and now I'm flying through the water! A lot has changed since my old swim team days.

Speaking of swim, that is what I have on the schedule today. Luckily when I go the kiddo care center is pretty empty so hopefully they will still take my kiddos in spite of all the coughing. We are at least past the snotting stage and have official diagnoses- severe allergies (all of us) due to Spring in Ohio, ear infection (Baby) and sinus infection (6 year old). Antibiotics all around! So- back to my training schedule- swim this afternoon, my normal wednesday endurance ladder workout, and then this evening I hope to get a run in- just the mile loop but it will help make up time from yesterday. I'm feeling good- just allergies bugging me- I drank a ton of immune-boost-powder over the last two days and that seems to have carried me through most of whatever the kids have.

Great job to everyone yesterday! Wow Kate- 20 miles! I don't think I have ever ridden that far. And it's so funny someone brought up the commando issue- my husband constantly yells at me because I insist on wearing underpants with the bike shorts. I just get all icked out over going commando but I guess I will have to suck it up and do it when I start riding outside. Maybe this week I'll ride outside. Then I will have TONS of bike questions.
2008-04-30 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

Jo, to upload an avatar click on Control Panel. It's on the left side of the page, under the BT logo. Go to the bottom of the page that comes up. It says Upload Profile Image.

For your log, I wonder if it's on the privacy page. Click on Control Panel, then toward the top on the right side click on Edit Your Training Settings. On the page that pops up, there are four questions about who can see your logs. That might do it.

HTH,

Mary

2008-04-30 1:49 PM

User image

Naples, FL
I am taking another day to not exercise. I have a sinus headache and so much congestion. I think I will just sit with a hot tea and visualize myself running!!!

I am eagerly waiting to hear Kristen's story of her road race today......

2008-04-30 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

I did 20 minutes on the exercise bike today. My legs feel it.

Kristen, good luck on your race!

Anne, it sounds like I will get alot out of this class. I'll just pretend I fit in--and eventually maybe I will!! I'm glad you got in your swim workout. I admire your perseverance with the allergies and the little ones being sick.

Sharyn, I hear visualization works great. Maybe we could add a new dimension to triathlon training. I for one would be willing to test this out--get comfortable on the couch and away I go. Hope the sinus is better. Hot tea is a winner.

Mary

2008-04-30 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Kristen-we are anxiously awaiting your race report!

I signed up for my 5th and final tri for the season. It is on a Wednesday evening at the state recreation area that I train at. It'll be like just like training. It is so cool because I know the hills and the trails and I will know the lake when we start OWS in May (too cold yet).

Kate, my log should be visible. No swim tonight, my daughter is having a choir concert, enough said. I will try to get a run in when I get home from the concert.

Great evening to all!!!

Edited by jogo 2008-04-30 5:32 PM
2008-04-30 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Hi all - good progress today (on either the recuperating end or the training end).

Jo - I can see your logs now. YAY!

I went for a swim. I'd planned for it to be longer, but the pool closed and there was an inconsiderate parent not dealing with her kids cutting through the lap lanes. (It's a pet peeve of mine, don't worry, I was nice to the kids...)

I slept the sleep of the dead last night thanks to that ride. Totally worth it.  

2008-05-01 8:33 AM

Master

Thank you Ladies for your nice comments and inspiration. 

I beat my time from last year...but wasn't able to hit either of my goals (my goals were to not walk and to finish in under 29 minutes).  But....I had a lot of fun! 

I was kind of banking in the fact that I'd been training for a few months and am in much better shape than I was at this time last year.  But when it comes down to it, I just hadn't run enough to be ready for the 5K.  Physically....my body could probably have done it without having to walk.  But mentally, I wasn' t quite strong enough yet. 

You can view my full race report by accessing my training log from 4/30 and clicking on the Fit 5K link.

Thanks again for all of your nice comments!  The exciting thing is I know I can only get better from here.  I'm glad I have all of you to share this with as well.

2008-05-01 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

I got in my interval walk with a friend this morning down by the lake. It was only 40 degrees, but no wind so it was perfect weather. Good way to start the day. Can't say we're getting much faster, but we're getting more consistent! We'll start jogging intervals next week.

Kristen, great going on beating your time from last year. I read your race report. Glad you had a good time.

Jo, gee, you're signed up for your fifth tri and I haven't decided on one yet. Maybe I better make some decisions. I've got six on my list of possibilities. Three are recreational and only a quarter mile swim. I'm going to make one of those my first. Just not sure which month.

Kate, glad you got in your swim. That's frustrating about the kids. I'm lucky that our community pool is pretty aggressive about behavior.

Hope your day is going well,

Mary

2008-05-01 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I checked on the other tri I want to do in Sept- it's the 13th, in East Tawas, MI. Anyway, they are doing two distances- HIM and sprint, but this site is only listing the HIM race- and no way am I doing a HIM! I am hopefully overtraining for my two sprint races. We'll see when I do my 5k on the 17th. Right now I'm worried that I have not put in enough miles. No one gives you points for figuring out how to train around the schedules of two kids!

Speaking of which- the cranky sick baby is up and not napping, again. SIGH. I hope to check on logs later. Congrats on your race time, Kristin!
2008-05-01 1:54 PM

User image

Naples, FL
So I have two months until my first race ever...a 5K on July 4th. Now here's the thing...I can't remember the last time I ran..... I walk fast, power walk, jog a bit, but haven't run. Obviously, I am going to just finish the race and I have set a goal of doing it in less than 45 minutes. Is that realistic...?

I am beginning the couch to 5K plan since I have about 2 months. Here is another question...do I just run.....?LOL i know that sounds weird, but how do I know if I am running right...is it just something you do instinctively...or are there wrong and right ways....? I feel kind of like a dork for asking. I know you can get swimming lessons and even instruction on bike riding, but are their places that teach you how to run? There is a store in town called On the Run, maybe they would know. Thanks you guys (feel free to snicker )

Also....why do you wear bike shorts commando....?
2008-05-01 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Sharyn-most running stores, at least in Michigan, have running clinics. There are some good books, one called Running for Mortals. Pretty much with running, unless you are Kenyan or in that elite category, the best way is one foot in front of the other so you keep moving. Jeff Galloway has nice run/walk programs on his web site as does John Bingham. They are all worthwhile resources.

Speaking of books, I highly recommend the Slow, Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams, for pointers. That book has become my best friend (she should have added the word old to the title for me, the slow, fat, old triathlete).

I am off for a bike/run. Happy Training to everyone!!!
2008-05-01 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Sharyn, have you gotten fitted for a pair of running shoes? That's my biggest tip for everyone. Get fitted before you start running so you don't mess up your feet, shins, knees with shoes that are a bad fit. Not something you can guess on- learned the hard way!

And the couch to 5k is a great training schedule. I started out in January at around 15 minute miles- running and walking combined for my mile. Your 45 minute goal is very realistic and with two months of training you will beat it!

I have no answer on the commando bike shorts thing. Anyone?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  

of 6