BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-04-22 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: Shepherd's mentor group - Full up!

NAME: Shepherd AKA Kate
STORY: I started training for triathlon in spring 2006 for an August race. I'm still not 100% sure what motivated me to do it, except that I needed a challenge. The swim went good, the bike leg sucked (hills plus a bike that didn't fit me plus not training enough), and I walked the run. I finished that race and became a triathlete at about 40% body fat. I was hooked. I guess I got into it to prove that I could do something that challenging, and then stayed because I liked the challenge.
FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very understanding non-athlete.
CURRENT TRAINING: I'm focusing on sprints this year again. I really want to get more in-shape before moving up in distance. I'm down to a little less than 30% body fat with an eventual goal of about 23%. I have two women's races on the schedule and hopefully will be doing a half-marathon in the fall.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: My last major race was June of 2007, I did not finish due to knee trouble and crashing on the bike. It really was a hard blow to my ego.
2008 RACES:

Aflac Irongirl, June
Acworth Women's Tri, August
Silver Comet Half-Mary, October

WEIGHTLOSS: I started at 260, now I'm at 250. More importantly though, I started with about 48% bodyfat and now am about 29%! Still working on losing more fat though.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I care about you! We all were in your shoes at one point, looking towards that first race with a mix of fear and excitement. I want to help you shift closer to the excitement side of things and enjoy your race. If you're looking for someone to remind you of your goals, to answer your questions, and to help encourage you, look no further and join my group!

Edited by shepherd 2008-04-27 10:00 AM

2008-04-23 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1354433

Master
Subject: RE: Shepherd's mentor group - Open
Hi Kate -

I'd love to be a part of your group! My name is Kristen and I'm 28 years old. I'm from the Great Lakes State and am looking forward to completing my first sprint tri on June 1st (the Hawk Island Tri in Lansing, MI). Here is a little background on me:

I played basketball, softball and golf throughout high school. I picked up hockey while in college and continue to play. But my only experience with endurance sports was one year of cross country back in junior high.

I've been training consistently (5 days/week) for about two months...and am seeing a lot of improvement with my swimming. I finally bought a road bike...so I can log some miles outside. But I hate running (right now). I need to keep motivated so that I run 3x/week consistently and get back to actually enjoying the run! Overall...with a big push here in May, I'm confident that I'll be able to go hard at the Hawk Island Tri on June 1st. After that....I have three other sprints in mind to finish out the summer (Maumee Bay, Carls Family, and Island Lake).

I'm excited to try out my wet suit for my first open water swim...hopefully it'll happen in the next few weeks! And I'm scheduled to run a 5K in a week. Other than that...I'm excited! And I look forward your advice and inspiration!
2008-04-25 6:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

Hello, is there room for me? I was in the January Mentor program and liked the connections with other beginners.  Now that the weather is starting to turn, I want to ramp up my workouts.

I've never done a triathlon before. I come from a non-sports background, but have been running for about 6 years. Started a swim class in January and still struggle with that.

Looking for some guidance and support, motivation, etc. What do you say? Can I play with you guys?

2008-04-26 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Hi Kristen and Jenni! Welcome! You both already are using the logs here - so hooray!

Kristen - I used to hate running too. Steady progress and trying to get in a good mindset when I go out on a run really has helped me. As it gets easier, I enjoy it more. Looks like you're doing better than I am on pace though! Keep it up! Have you done an open water swim before? I'm glad that you're going ahead and practicing - a lot of people can do wonderfully in the pool but have panic attacks when they get into open water. Just try to remember - all of the swimmers will scare the fish and other creatures away from the course. The wetsuit should also give you some confidence. As for the bike - some bike shorts or tri shorts will definitely make your rides more comfortable!

Jenni - It seems you're the opposite - you're a runner! You've definitely found a good group for motivation - you can play with us. Do you have a first race scheduled yet?

What do you two have planned for this weekend?  

2008-04-26 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Can I get in?

I joined a mentor group in january and got beyond frustrated because everyone fell out except for me and a very young gent- not a whole lot in common training wise when he is 17 and I'm 33!

I'm training for my first tri- an all women's sprint in July. My husband has been doing tri's for several years and is training for his first half-Ironman this summer. I've been working since January and he has been a great help with workouts and us both balancing the kids and training (we have two girls, a 6year old and a 10 month old).

I have lots of friends who either think I'm nuts for doing this or are snippy about me getting in shape. I just want to be a good role model for my girls and get back into a routine of exercising. I'm hoping to do my first 5k since college next month.

My background- way way way back- was competitive swimming and cross country. But that was over ten years ago so I don't even really think it counts anymore! The swimming is my favorite part- i could spend hours in the pool. The bike makes my lady parts sore and cranky, even with the padded shorts. I don't dread the run, but I certainly don't look forward to it. But the bikes and the running is much better now that the weather is warming up in Ohio.

2008-04-26 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Hi, I'm jo, 43 year old from Michigan and was hoping that I could join your group. I am married, with a blended family, 5 kids ages 25-16, one graduating from HS, one graduating from college, and one getting married. I am training for ME! I have to keep telling myself how important my workouts are and that they are my time.

I am planning on doing some sprint tri's this summer. My first is also Hawk Island (then Big Fish, Carls, and Blue Water but I'd rather do Island lake and may just take the hit with the registration fee and switch). I am really going to push the training in May. I have been consistently training but don't feel like I am doing enough (5 days a week, 1 or 2 swim, 2 bike, and 2 run). I would love to be part of this group. Your story is an inspiration, what an accomplishment, losing the body fat and doing the tri's.

2008-04-26 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

Hi Kate,

I'd like to join your group. This is my third time training for a tri. Third time's a charm, right? I want to actually do one this time. Being part of your group would be a real help.

I'm late 40s, about 45 lbs. overweight, and not an athlete. I can swim, I'm not up to a half mile in the pool yet, more like a quarter mile, part of that backstroke. I can walk/run--working on running the three miles. This is the only leg I really feel comfortable with. The bike is a problem--I really hate speed and going downhill and I'm still puzzled about gears.

However, I'm determined.

It's so nice of you to volunteer to mentor us--and all the other mentors on the board. I keep hearing how friendly the tri community is. It certainly is here on the BT board.

Thanks!

Mary

2008-04-26 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1363542

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

Hey guys,

Looks like this group is filling in nicely! I however, regret to say I have to bow out (hopefully) gracefully. You all seem so nice and very interesting with such diverse backgrounds! I would love to be part of this group, but I also don't want to steal a spot from another in search of a landing spot.

I wish you all good luck in all your endeavors and I know we will be running into each other again on this site! Go get em guys!! Take care,

Jen

PS: you've got a GREAT mentor!!

2008-04-26 8:56 PM

User image

Naples, FL
Hi,

My name is Sharyn and I am a 39 year old SAHM of an almost 3 year old. I started training for a sprint triathlon but then discovered I was pregnant. Now, I am wanting to at least finish a sprint before or while I am 40.

I am 5'9 and weigh 250 lbs. I have a beach cruiser for a bike and don't even own running shoes. I used to teach swim lessons many years ago and at least feel very comfortable in the water, even though I haven't swum distances for a while.

I want to compete in a sprint that is scheduled for June of 2009. I would like to do some 5K's before that.

I rode 9 1/2 miles this morning on my bike, I push my daughter in her stroller several times a week, but haven't figured out the best way/place to swim....I am such a beginner.

I look forward to gleaning any information possible!
2008-04-27 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Shepherd's mentor group - Full up!

Welcome one and all! I'm closing this group at 5 people (well, 6 if we can get Jenni to stay...) so I can give you all the attention you deserve.

AKR18 - Sounds like you're making a good decision and well on the way to being a good role-model for your kids, too. Sometimes friends say discouraging things because they're jealous that you have the drive to do something. I say, way to go! This is one decision you will definitely be happy that you've made. With the bike, you may want to look into getting a different seat - if bike shorts aren't working (and you've given yourself enough time on the bike to get used to the seat that you have). What's your first name, so I can call you by that?

Jo - It sounds like carving out a little time for yourself for training is just what you need! Raising kids is tough work! (especially teenagers - we don't have kids yet, but I do teach high school biology, so I know a little about that age). Are the two races that you want to switch run by the same director/company? If they are, try dropping the race director an e-mail and ask if you can switch to the race that you want to do. Usually the directors are really understanding and will let you do this. If you can, try to volunteer at the race that you're not doing. It's always good to give back, and you can learn a lot just by watching a race happen. Do you keep a training log here on BT? I would love to be able to check your progress and leave you inspires, but I have to be able to see it! :-)

Mary - Third time will be a charm, I know. Do you have a target race in mind for this summer? A little secret (don't tell my current bike) - I used to hate hate hate the bike. I don't know why. When I was a kid, I biked all over creation and loved it. But when I started triathlon, I lived in a really hilly area in Kansas and well, I didn't train enough on the bike, and I hated it (as a result, the really crappy time on the bike for my first race). It's still hard to go on a ride some days - I'd much rather swim or run usually. The good news is that as you put more time into the bike, you will begin to like it more and more. (Because you start to improve). Try starting with flatter terrain (if possible) and then slowly move up to trying downhills (The huge hills in Kansas scared me into a panic attack once). There's no law that says you have to zoom down hills with reckless abandon, use your brakes to keep you at a speed you're comfortable with. As for gears - can you make the bike shift them? If you can, try to find one that feels comfortable to pedal in most of the time. Then when you get tired (or hit a big hill), switch so it feels easier to pedal.

Sharyn - Does the bike have two wheels? Does it get you from point A to point B? (I'm guessing so, because you did ride 9.5 miles yesterday morning). Don't sweat the fact you have a cruiser. You can worry about your bike type after you've done your first race (or first season). Lots of people do their first race on mountain bikes or comfort bikes, so your bike will be just fine. You do need a good pair of running shoes though. I'd suggest finding a running store that does a fit consultation where they look at the mechanics of how you run before fitting you with shoes. If you want an example - Google "Big Peach Running Company" and look at their fitting philosophy. June 2009 is a long way away - do you think you could try a race around August of this year? Originally when I started training for triathlons, I wanted to train for a full year before my first race. People here on BT convinced me that looking into a late-season race would give me a good confidence boost and some practice. They were right! Just some food for thought. I'd also ask that you start recording your workouts in the logs here, so I can help encourage you by leaving inspires.

All - I'm really excited to help you achieve your plans! Let me know if you have any questions - or even - how is training going right now? (I need to hit breakfast/lunch and then get out on the bike myself today - it's been too much of a slacker week

2008-04-27 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Kate, Thank you so much for mentoring us. I am proud to be part of your group.

I will start to log my training. I am got roped into a team this year (with the promise of lots of fun and beer) and have to commit to 5 races for the season. I did an indoor tri on March 30 and I sucked. I died on the run, which is usually my strongest. I went through a post race depression for a week after the disappointment of my performance but am now back on track.

My first outdoor sprint tri (they are all sprints) is June 1, then June 22, July 20 and Aug. 24. I haven't figured out my 5th race yet. I don't think the race director will let me switch races and I will either eat the cost of the Aug. 24 race to do the other one the same day or just suck it up and do the one I don't want to.

I look forward to experiencing my first tri and appreciate the support from someone who has accomplished so much. I am so impressed by your body fat loss. I think mine is somewhere in the low 30%'s, at least it was in January.

Thanks for understanding my "me" mentality that I've had to develop to maintain my sanity with all the teenagers and young adults.

I know that all of us can accomplish our goals by supporting each other. Go Shepherd Girls, We will ROCK!!!!

2008-04-27 12:54 PM

User image

Naples, FL
Hi everyone!
Thanks Kate for taking the time to mentor us. There is a sprint-tri held here where I live every June. I figured it would be too soon to do the one this year, that's why I set my goal for June of 2009. I can try to see if there is something in August that is close to where I live.... big gulp!!! My DD will be in 3 half days of preschool a week starting the end of Aug. which will really help me find more time to train.

I woke up with a sore throat this morning, but after taking some tylenol, I feel a little better. I am hoping to go for a walk this evening...I found a loop route from my house that is right about the distance of a 5k. I want to time myself walking it comfortably, then work from there. I have been looking at the Couch to 5k program.

I will also start putting my info. into the logs here as well!

TTFN!
Sharyn
2008-04-27 2:33 PM

User image

Naples, FL
LOL....it's me again...!

I decided to do a Leslie Sansone(sp?) walking DVD instead. I did the 3 mile power walk..15 min. mile, 12 min mile and another 15 min. mile. I am wondering what a good speed for a 5k is? I know it obviously depends on your fitness level. What do you think a good time for walking would be and then what would a good time for a combo. of walking and jogging?

I think to start with I will just time myself and then each time, try to beat the previous time... Of course, sometimes I will be pushing a stroller...lol!

All right...I am beginning to ramble!
Sharyn
2008-04-27 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hello All!

Okay, I need help. I wore running shorts for the first time for an outdoor run today- for the first time since college. Anyway, the chafing! YIKES! I stopped twice- okay, partly because of the chafing and partly because I seriously hate running. So- any advice on chafing? I asked the husband and he said we should purchase bodyglide- he used that in years past (and I probably made fun of him for it). Any other ideas? Besides getting rid of my oh-so-cute inner thigh padding?

Everyone do start logging if you aren't already. I am always a bit envious of my husband's mentor group- they all comment and send inspire me messages and, though I do enjoy leaving notes for him, I'd also like to be able to leave notes for everyone in our group!

Thanks again Kate for mentoring us. Oh, and I'm Anne. Sorry about that. My user name is what happens when your husband signs you up on BT. It's my initials and his college soccer number.

2008-04-27 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Sharyn, do you have a jog stroller? I do like taking the babe with me some mornings, but so far I have not run with her in the jog stroller for more than a mile. One day it was so windy it took me forever to run the one mile- the jog stroller was catching the wind. Anyway, good for you for your workout today!!! Especially since you were not feeling well. I kind of did the couch to 5k starting in January; then I could not run a mile (I did walking and running combos) and now I'm doing the 16 week sprint 2x balanced training plan- I guess I trained to train, but it at least helped me get so I was feeling a little bit more confident. Now I'm rambling...
2008-04-27 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
AKR(Is there a name we can call you or would you rather just go by your initials?)-I have only worn running shorts once in my life and it caused chafing, never again will I wear them. I have run for many years and done a marathon so I can speak from experience, wear longer shorts or capris ( I wear cheap capris from costco). The tri bottoms are longer than running shorts so they are pretty good and they don't ride up too much. Unless you have legs without any extra padding (cellulite), you will get chafing with the running shorts. I look like a total dork but at least my inner thighs are not crying. Body glide might work but I'm too afraid to try it after my one bad chafing experience. Good Luck. P.S. I think body glide works better for men because they don't have the excess padding. jo

2008-04-27 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
thanks jo.

I'm Anne- sorry. I keep forgetting that part, and I buried my name in my last post.

I was really happy about running in my stretchy work out pants but yeah, those running shorts are not so nice. I'll look into those options!
2008-04-27 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Sorry Anne, I missed your name in your post earlier. Stretchy pants rock!!!!!!!

Okay ladies, I tried on dresses (not too fancy) for my daughter's wedding that is being held outside in New Mexico in June. I looked horrendous!!!! The dresses, in my defense, were a little frumpy and I did have socks on which is always attractive with dresses but they showed every bump and bulge that I have, ICK!!! Realisticly, anything I do, is to lose weight. That is always my secret goal. I like good food and wine. I eat very healthy foods, just way too much obviously. I have been an off the wagon lifetime member of weight watchers for years. I really don't want to go back. SO I'm putting it out there for my peeps- MY GOAL is to lose 1lb/week for the next 9 weeks. I'd like to lose 2/week but I don't want to get discouraged. I will be logging my weight and workouts and hopefully that will keep me more accountable. Thanks for listening. I know that this has nothing to do with the tri's you all are training for but ultimately it will help me to improve my training. Now I'm rambling! jo
2008-04-27 7:47 PM

User image

Naples, FL
Hey Jo!

I just joined WW a few weeks ago and have so far lost 6.8 lbs. I have always wanted to do a sprint-tri....but my main reason is to lose weight. Knowing that I am going to compete in something motivates me more than anything else. I am also going to be logging my weight as well. I don't really have any set goals (like how many pounds in a certain amount of time) but I think that a pound a week seems realistic, especially since you will be exercising!

Sharyn
2008-04-27 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

Hi folks,

Well, the fact is I'm in this to lose weight too! the tri training gives some structure to my exercise. One pound a week sounds like a great goal.

I worked in the yard yesterday. Today was odds and ends, none of which included exercise. I'll start logging tomorrow.

I look forward to getting to know you all and doing a tri together (virtually, anyway).

Mary

2008-04-28 2:42 PM

User image

Naples, FL
I walked on a treadmill today for 30 minutes and only went about 1.5 miles... I wanted to add some jogging as I was walking, but didn't feel very comfortable with the controls.....lol. I didn't want to end up flying off the back of the machine.

Here is a funny story..... I told my husband a while ago that I wanted an ipod shuffle for mother's day. It is very small and clips on to your clothes. I think it will be perfect for helping me pick up the pace of my walking/running. I even forwarded to him the website where he could order it. He didn't seem very interested in it and I thought, oh well, I will just buy it for myself if I don't get it for MD.

Fast forward to today at Target...my credit card was declined! Needless to say, I was very embarrassed and used another card and then immediately called customer service to find out what the deal was. Turns out, they thought a purchase was suspicious and froze our account until they could verify the purchase......yep...my husband made an online purchase at the Apple store! So much for the surprise! But, it came with free engraving, so the surprise will be to see what color he chose and the inscription!

If my hubby gets home in time, I am going to try and get to a spin class tonight!

2008-04-28 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
So cool about the ipod! I got an ipod nano for christmas from my husband and I LOVE IT! I even have my own running playlist to motivate me. The husband got a shuffle as a gift for being a groomsman last summer and he really likes his, too.

jo- sounds like a very reasonable goal. I started this back in january and have maybe lost ten pounds? we switched scales though so it is hard to tell (our old scale said I was quite a bit lighter and it was not so accurate. I've noticed I have lost inches more than anything - i guess because I am building muscles. But the toning and inches lost has made all of my clothes fit so much nicer. I tried on dresses recently and was not as mortified as I usually am. So- jo- it will come!!!

The weight loss is a nice by-product of the training, but not something I'm striving for right now. Instead I just want to be able to finish my race and not be last. Lofty goals, I know. But I'm starting to worry about the run, since I want to do a 5k at our zoo in two weeks and I currently have only ever run 2.5 miles.
2008-04-28 3:53 PM

Master
Hi Everyone...

I'm excited to be a part of this group! I've been training mostly on my own and it can be hard to stay motivated. I'm looking forward to sharing some fun times with all of you!

I got in the pool for a swim this morning before work (1075 meters)...and will go for a short run after work (1.5 miles). My bike was in the shop for a tune up (I bought it used last week through Craigslist), so I'll pick it up later today as well. And I became a member of REI today! I bought a pair of padded bike shorts while there.

I have my first race of the year on Wednesday....a 5K road race. I did this one last year, but I did horrible! It was a combination of having a cold and not training for over a month. I feel much more prepared this year and I think I should be able to complete the distance without having to walk. It's a very flat, fast course and a good 300-400 people run it....so I figure as long as I start out towards the front and pick someone to pace, I'll do fine.

Edited by hamiltks10 2008-04-28 3:54 PM
2008-04-28 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Sharyn, Way cool about the IPOD!! I love mine and run with it all the time. I have the best music for me and my pace. There are websites that have music suggestions for pace, it might be worth it to take a look. I am cheap so all my downloads came from every CD I could possibly borrow from friends and family.

Kristen-I am so glad you are younger than me and not in my age group. You are going to do great at Hawk Island. I struggle with swimming so 1075yds would take me forever. I do take a master swim class and over the course of an hour we do 1000-1200 yards (some freestyle, some drills) but never more than 100yds yet without having to stop. My tri group trains in Brighton if you are ever interested in OWS (not until May) and biking on Thursday nights. It is an hour plus drive for me but worth it. (I live in Troy, MI). Good luck at the 5k!

Ann-way to go with the weight/inch loss. I hope that it comes with training. I have been training since January but it is time to step it up a notch with my first tri on June 1st. Maybe stepping it up will help speed the process.

To everyone working out tonight-remember this is FUN! (at least keep telling yourself that)
2008-04-28 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

Sharyn, what a great gift! And it was a surprise--having your card declinedSurprised. I have the same feeling on a treadmill--that I'm going to go flying off. Way too dangerous for me!!

Anne, that is so great about your losing inches. About the 5k, I hear that adrenaline on race day gets a runner over the finish line, even if it's a bit farther than they've run before. Sounds like a fun place--to have it at the zoo.

Kristen, you're a good swimmer. 1075 meters is alot. I look forward to when I can do that much. Good luck on your road race Wednesday.

Jo, I'll keep telling myself this is funTongue out. Good advice. I rode the exercise bike today for 20 minutes while watching a history channel dvd from the library. It definitely made the time go faster.

I hope to get in a swim this evening, but it's not looking good. So maybe tomorrow morning.

Hope your day and your workouts are going well.

Mary

Edited by A Little Madness 2008-04-28 6:15 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shepherd's mentor group - Full up! Rss Feed  

of 6