United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 09m 28s
Overall Rank = 10/31
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Have to stop waiting for the race results to come out to edit these reports(or at least remember or keep my own time). This race was nearly two weeks ago and a lot of the details are fuzzy. Not going to be an easy one for me to go back and learn from now. Lesson learned I hope.

Woke up, loaded up gear and family in the car and drove the nearly two hours out to the course. Got there nice and early which is the way I prefer it. Left lots of time to think about how cold it felt with the wind.

Ate a light breakfast/lunch about two hours before the race was to begin. Ran into Paul(Schurp) and chatted for a while before warming up.

Event warmup:

Took the bike out along the race course for a 5mile warm-up. Caught a pace line on the way out which was nice and fast(22mph with draft) and then dropped back at the turn and spun back in. The two guys I rode out with would later leave me dusted on the bike in the actual race.

Was expecting the water to be quite cold and it was...got in about 15 min prior to the race kicking off and swam to get used to the cold. It was also my first time in open water again since my last race in 2007. Didn't seem to be an issue, hoped that would carry over into the race.
Swim
  • 04m 30s
  • 273 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

All times are estimated
Started up front, but out to the left of the guideline (most everyone was up front with only 32 racers (one team not included in my overall numbers).
Shout to start was given and it was straight to swimming. Very short course, but I stayed in the crawl the entire distance with no panic or breathing issues. Sighting was ok, but I did get off course on the return trip for a bit and had to correct.
Really had no idea how quickly I got out of the water, but looked back when on shore and there were a lot of folks still coming in.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing this time...was a great confidence booster over all of my reports last year even though it was a short swim course.

Placement includes exiting T1
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Guess on the time here again
started pulling off suit as I came out of the water and had it at my waist when I got to my bike. Sat down to pull off suit and had no issues. Helmet on, glasses on, shoes on(no socks). Felt like it was smooth and not rushed.
Grabbed bike and ran/shuffled to the mount line. Stopped and got onto bike (no flying mounts for this guy yet)

Get tri specific shoes and learn to get a flying mount
Bike
  • 38m
  • 13 miles
  • 20.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy vibrations Batman! The road surface was not much fun for me at all, the ride pace-wise felt good.
Passed by three people inside the first half1 mile on the course. Two of those were the guys I rode with during my warm-up, the third had an even bigger motor on a HUGE bike with what I consider to be one of the best looking wheelsets out there (Easton EC90s, man they look nice). I was happy to note that everyone that passed me looked like they should be passing folks on thier nice Tri Bikes and wheelsets (hope I can live up to that since I now have a new(to me) bike and wheelset coming).

Being passed on the bike was a first for me, and while I hate to see that my engine isn't up to par yet it primarily meant that my swim is getting better (now just have to do the same at longer distances).

Maintained my aero position (modified road bike with clip-ons, not professional fitted) most of the ride besides coming up to the hoods to give my arms a break from the vibration at one point on the return. Lost ground to all that passed me and eventually had no one in sight front or back. Started counting bodies as i was getting closer to the turn and folks were on their return leg. Way behind, but sitting in 10th overall...made me quite happy about my swim. Decent return leg, but I believe I was getting slower and was mentally cursing the road conditions.

Saw my wife and daughter near the transistion area and stuck my tounge out for her camera.

Pick a different course j/k, but seriously RIDE MORE.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Gear came off ok, but I couldn't get my shoes on for the life of me. I don't normally untie my shoes when training, just slip my foot in with socks. Figured it would be close enough over this short distance without socks or untying my shoes. Didn't work in either case when all was said and done. Don't change things on race day anyone?

Don't get cute with things I haven't done in training and remember that just because one set of shoes works barefoot it doesn't mean they all do.
Run
  • 23m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt beat and I felt all alone on the course with the folks in front of me too far ahead to ever reel in. I went into maintain my position mode and suffered a lot more on this run than I should have. I did not run a good mental race. I looked back a few times to see if I was getting run down which also told me that I was not in a good place mentally.

I indeed did have one person who was gaining and let him go with a "nice job" right at the turn around point. No chance that I was going to stay with him so I just tried to maintain. Picked it up a little on the last 1/4 mile or so, but just didn't have much I was willing to give. Smiled for my wife and the camera and headed on to the finish happy to be done.

HTFU, train more
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around while others finished. Spent some time talking with Paul and his wife and watched the Kid's Tri. After the post race awards we loaded up and headed back north

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me

Last updated: 2008-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:30 | 273 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 7/31
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: straight out and back around a row boat used to hold the distance line and bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:00 | 13 miles | 20.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 10/31
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course, mostly flat with some wind. Road surface was quite rough and made for a bit of a mental challenge on the return leg.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 100
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average