United States
St. Anthony's Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 19m 32s
Overall Rank = 2898/3545
Age Group = Clyde: 30-39
Age Group Rank = 58/72
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Ate some oatmeal and 1/2 bagel with peanut butter. Rode with brother and friends to race site; couple of pit stops on way to transition, then got everything set up, wheels pumped, and headed to the swim.
Event warmup:

Did a short swim off the beach.
Swim
  • 33m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt strong and steady in the water. Settled in relatively quickly to a good pace and my breathing felt comfortable. First time I've thought about technique and breathing as I swam...rather than just thinking about getting through it. The wave spread out fairly quickly so I didn't have too many swimmers to either get around or coming over my back. Eventually started catching a few swimmers in earlier waves, and during the last stretch had a few in the wave behind me catch up.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was pleased with my swim relative to my goal.
Transition 1
  • 05m 9s
Comments:

Had a problem getting my left shoe clipped in. Took a few tries to get cleat to lock.

Much better in transition than last season. Actually ran through this year, which I didn't do in last years events. It is funny trying to get shoes on when equilibrium is still a bit off, but I stayed upright!

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 27m 14s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing like the bike to reveal how slow I really am! I passed a rider here and there, but I must have gotten a look at the bikes of half the field as riders came by me! A lot of nice bikes out there too. Nothing like hearing those disc wheels coming up from behind. A few riders decided, that, although the lanes were wide enough they prefer passing within inches of me. Not quite sure about that.

Did have one scare skimming a speed bump in losing a bit of control and riding off the road into the drain gulley. Coming back onto the road jolted the bike and I was a bit concerned I'd puncture a tire. Fortunately wasn't a problem.

My time actually was pretty good in relation to my training. I just need to get faster. I've got too much ego to keep doing these and get passed like that!

Just need to train more and get better!
Transition 2
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Went to put on race belt and realized that I hadn't re-adjusted it after letting my son use it in the Meek and Mighty on Sat. Not a big problem, just added a few seconds as I adjusted.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 09m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This became about survival! The first mile I had to work just to banish the negative thoughts, cause 6 miles seemed overwhelming! Strategy was to run to each aid station and walk through as I hydrated. Did that for the first 2 miles, but then had to walk a bit more here and there. I tried to keep it to just a few steps and then get back into a jog.

Started to feel some cramping in my quads in the middle of the run. Would really be noticable when I'd walk getting water/Gatorade. First time I've felt that. However, it was gone by the last 2 miles.

Considering that I walked a few more times than normal, and I was completely cooked, I was surprised my run time wasn't slower than it was.

Train more...do more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much other than drink plenty of water and Gatorade and get something to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me

Event comments:

I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of this event. As brutal as the run was, and as happy as I was to get to that finish line and have the race over, my first thought was "I'll be back next year and I'm going to be much faster!"

This was the longest event I've done and getting to that finish line was awesome. I look forward to getting better and being back again in '09!

Last updated: 2008-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:25 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/72
Overall: 0/3545
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU
Course: Out along the peer, left parellel to the beach, back toward the seawall.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:27:14 | 24.85 miles | 17.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 66/72
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Through the streets and parks of downtown St. Pete. From what I've heard a bit more technical this year as there were more turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:09:05 | 06.21 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/72
Performance: Below average
Course: Down the waterway and through nearby community before doubling back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-27 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #1365184

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Congrats on your finish.  Looks like you were pretty happy overall and you just can't beat that feeling. 
2008-04-27 7:04 PM
in reply to: #1365184

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Nice job on the race!! It was my first oly too and it was quite the cooker on the run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed