US Army
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 45m 49s
Overall Rank = 4/21
Age Group = 36-40
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Awoke at 0450 and ate a bowl of raisen bran and a banana. Popped 800mg of Ibuprofen. Loaded bus for Camp Casey at 0530. Arrived at Camp Caey at 0700.
Event warmup:

Easy stretching and ate another banana one hour before start. Had one powerbar gel 15 minutes before start.
Run
  • 3h 45m 49s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

First few miles were at an 8:00 to 8:10 pace. Kept trying to slow it down as I was shooting for a sub 4 hour pace but had finished in 4:06 at this same race last year, my first marathon. Last year I went out too fast in the first 3 to 5 miles and it really caught up with me around mile 20. Settled into a good pace and kept at it by mile 3. Often had to slow it down a bit as I would speed up without realizing it.

I ate a gel every 30 minutes and had some hard candy as well. Worked out perfectly for me and I would do this again.
What would you do differently?:

My long run pre-race was 16 miles the week before. I would have liked to have had three more weeks to prepare so I could have done an 18 miler and a 20 miler and then tapered for a week, but, Airborne school came right when I was about to start training for the marathon so that was not possible.
Post race
Warm down:

A lot of walking around and drinking a lot of Accelerade and Propel.

Had a nice long hot shower not too long after race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My left ITB really kicked in about mile 22. I think if I had been able to do a few more long runs pre-race I would have done better.

Event comments:

Great race for me as I beat my time from last year on the same exact course by 21 minutes and managed a 3:45 on my second marathon!

Last updated: 2008-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:45:49 | 26.2 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 4/21
Performance: Good
Did not wear HRM for the race. Felt good running without the strap.
Course: Two laps on 13.1 mile course. Moderate hill from mile 5 to 8 and then very, very steep, 1.75 mile long climb starting around mile 8.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes