St. Anthony's Triathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 20s
Overall Rank = 814/3549
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 76/235
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Showered and had a cup and a half of coffee. Mixed up 4 scoops of Perpeteum and filled my water bottles. Grabbed a banana and my Transition bag. Left the house at approximately 5:10am.

This was my first race out of town. I never had a mechanic look at my bike to see if I put it back together properly. I did ride it twice and it felt fine although I had to adjust the front deraileur at the house to get it to shift without rubbing. It must have gotten banged or pressed in the case.

No mechanic was my first mistake...more about that later. Next time, definitely have a mechanic check out the bike.
Event warmup:

None, unless you count the visit to the port-o-can or the .5 mile walk to the swim start. Actually, I count the walk to the swim start.
Swim
  • 32m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a good swim for me. Usually, I am in the very back of the age group. I was squarely in the middle this time, which lets me know the training in the pool is paying off. I paced myself well and was able to really push near the end without feeling like I left everything in the water.

I didn't get caught by the leaders of the following wave until I was almost at the second turn, yellow buoy. That let me know I was doing fairly well.

I did feel like I forgot to kick at times, but the wetsuit and salt water kept me upright. Good sighting, never got off course, and was able to navigate the right side of the course (buoys on the left at all times) without getting run over by too many swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

kick more, keep practicing
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

good transition...just over 2 minutes...anything below 2 minutes is great.

Took 3 Endurolytes with my transition bottle before leaving.

I didn't start pulling off my wetsuit until I was into transition. On races with longer chutes into the transition, I am able to get the suit to my waste during the run up. I suppose I could try and get it off a little faster next year.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 37s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.51 km/hr
Comments:

Here's where it gets interesting. In pre-race transition, I almost forgot to put my computer back onto the bike. I did that, but as soon as I got on the bike in the race, the computer popped off on the cobbles. I didn't want to stop and get it so I just rode without knowing my cadence. I figured I could try and find it after the race since it was right after the bike start. Probably a mistake...next time I should stop and grab it. It definitely threw me off my game during the first 5 miles.

So i was cruising along until the speed bump section. I saw people going around the bumps on the right side between the bump and the curb. I followed and made it successfully for at least 4 of them. Then - CRASH. Big skid all the way across the road. My tire got caught off the road and in the flat gutter area. Trying to get back onto the road, I lost it. NEXT TIME JUST SLOW A BIT AND GO OVER THE DAMN SPEED TABLES!

I gather my glasses and grabbed my bike. The fall occurred on the right side so the drive train, pedal, and base bar took most of the blow. The chain was off. I reset it and tried to spin the crank. I was stuck in my 53/11. There was a second there where I thought I might not be able to continue. I honestly didn't even think about my body or my injuries. I tried the shifters and neither moved either deraileur at all. I figured I could ride in the big gear since the race was flat so I got back on the bike and merged back into traffic. I was pretty scraped up.

The rest of the ride was at a low cadence, but my speed must have been good because my average was still respectable. I think I could have averaged 22 without the crash. At least now I can say I've raced an event with a single-speed.

At the end, I turned back onto the cobbles to the finish. I leaned down to unstrap my right foot without a problem, but felt real unsteady trying to reach for the left. Some guy crashed on the cobbles right in front of me. Not wanting to crash twice, I decided to leave my feet in the shoes and remove them in transition. This was the smartest decision I made all day.

I only brought one water bottle with me on the ride. That was plenty because of the short distance. There was also a bottle hand-up so I used that to pour on my head and wounds and drink a little. I ate one HoneyStinger near mile 20 for a little fuel going into the run.

Not crash. Go over the speed bumps.

Knowing where the finish and the cobbles are, I need to unstrap and pull my feet out before making the last right hand turn so I can dismount properly and move quickly into transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

The bike dismount was bad, as I said above. The switch to running shoes, hat and race belt was quick. This transition time was good.

Took 3 more Endurolytes.

unstrap shoes and run in faster.
Run
  • 46m 37s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 40s  min/km
Comments:

Knowing it was only 10k, I only slowed at 2 water stops for a sip. I grabbed water at almost every station thought to pour over my wounds. I felt my right quad tighten around mile 4 so I made sure to get fluids at the next stop. That kept any cramps away and let me push the speed to finish.

The new Avia race lite shoes were great. Mile 1 was fast- a little over 7. I slowed for 2 and 3 but picked it up again when I hit the turn around. I did a good job slowing picking up the pace all the way back in. I felt like I did not leave too much out on the course because I was really pushing it during the last mile. I may have been able to run a faster mile 2. I had been shooting for a 45 min. 10k. I guess I still have that goal to reach this season.

run a faster mile 2 and 3.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel, water, gatorade. Found Robin, Dad, and Murray. Showed them by road rash and reluctantly decided to go to the medical tent for wound clean up. Next year, have Robin bring sunscreen for post race because the wait to get into transition can be a long one.

Got some food and shared it with them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the crash and the involuntary conversion of my 10 speed cassette to a single 53/11 speed rig.

Event comments:

Even with the crash, I posted a new PR by about 12 minutes. But this race was flat and the Austin Tri is not.

Absolutely great race. Will definitely make this an annual.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:16 | 1500 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 134/235
Overall: 0/3549
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit - Blue70
Course: The swim course was good. On Sat. I swam in my suit from the swim exit out to the yellow turn around buoy and back. The water was calm on Saturday but I still noticed a sizable current coming into the shore. The swim out was definitely tougher than the swim in. On race day, the chop was up a good bit and I figured the current would be a little stronger than the day before. The course was well designed. About 500 out, 500 across, and 500 back in. Good number of buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:37 | 40 kms | 33.51 km/hr
Age Group: 110/235
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: flat. some turns, but nothing highly unusual for an urban course. starts and ends with cobbles and has speed tables/bumps in middle sections.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:37 | 10 kms | 04m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 57/235
Course: Nice - sunny to start, shady in the middle, flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes