General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poor Vision--How to handle the transition? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-30 11:12 AM

Regular
New York, NY
Subject: Poor Vision--How to handle the transition?
Hi Everyone--

I'm new here, and new to triathalons. I have my eye on a few sprint triathalons coming up in my area this summer, and plan to begin training in the next few weeks. I'm very excited! I've been reading online and found answers to all my questions/concerns except this one:

I am extremely extremely nearsighted. I can't wear contacts, so when I swim I basically go "blind." I'd then wear my glasses for the biking and running parts of the race. I'm not too concerned about swimming blind, but how am I going to find my bike (and my glasses) after the swim?! From what I have read, its a challenge to find your bike even if you can see, and without my glasses, everything is just a blur of colors.

Has anyone dealt with this particular problem? Will there be a place I can pick up my glasses immediately after getting out of the water? Or do I need to invest in something like prescription swim goggles (this seems excessive, but perhaps it is the only solution)?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

--Jennifer

2004-12-30 11:18 AM
in reply to: #97256

User image

Subject: RE: Poor Vision--How to handle the transition?
Stick your glasses under your wetsuit leg, up by the calf. Pull them out when you emerge.

I've had a prescription scuba mask for decades, but have seen divers use a line of silicone cement to fix old lenses to the faceplate of a mask.... I bet you could take some old lenses to a lab and have them cut the outline to fit into some of the larger swim goggles. Be very carefull when mixing materials, e.g., attaching glass to plastic or vice versa.

Good luck!
2004-12-30 11:19 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Any reason why you "can't" wear contacts? I'm as nearsighted as they come, but have worn contacts for thiry-five years now.

Prescription goggles are an option, and may not be as extreme or as expensive as you think. Do a search here, the subject has come up in the past couple of months and several posters cited some affordable sources for prescription goggles.

2004-12-30 11:32 AM

Regular
New York, NY
Scratched my cornea when I was 16, unfortunately, and haven't been able to put a contact lens in that eye ever since. And the laser surgery hasn't been perfected yet for people who are as nearsighted as I.

I think for my first race I'll try the simple solution of sticking my glasses in my wetsuit. If I decide to do more races, then prescription goggles would probably be worth the investment.

Thanks for the help!

--Jennifer
2004-12-30 11:41 AM

I LOVE my prescription goggles. I cannot find the website where I ordered them, but the brand is VIEW. Not only can I see to get to the transition area, but I can see when in the water, the buoy markiers, other swimmers, and the finish line. It adds a LOT of confidence. They are very inexpensive and do each lens separately to wihtn .5 of your prescription.; there may be others out there, but these are the only ones I have experience with and am very satisfiede.
2004-12-30 11:54 AM

Regular
Norwalk, CA
http://www.aquagoggles.com I got my goggles here. They will do up to a -9 in half increments and can pair different strengths for each eye. They are $19.95 + $5 shipping. They work really well, I am a -2 and I am blind in the water without them.

2004-12-30 4:32 PM

Regular
New York, NY
I'm around an -8.5 in one eye, but a -10.5 in the other. I didn't think I could buy anything that strong for only $20, but the -9 should be good enough for swimming and locating my bike. Thanks everyone for your help on this.

--Jennifer

Edited by jtat17 2004-12-30 4:33 PM
2004-12-30 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Hey Jennifer,

I have some -6.0 goggles being shipped as we speak. Both of my eyes are weaker than that, (-7.5, -9.0) but I snorkled with a -6.0 mask last month and realized how much of a difference it makes. The one's I ordered were from SportsBasement, with my USAT $25 coupon. They cost $17. I've seen some that can be made as strong as -9.0, like the above mentioned Aquagoggles. I'll probably give them a try next time around.

You will be truely amazed at how much better you can see, even with only -6.0 goggles! Go for it!

Edited by HookedOnTri 2004-12-30 9:19 PM
2004-12-30 9:26 PM

User image

Out of curiousity, I asked a team doc your question.

How many years has passed since you scratched your cornea?
If it was superficial, it would've healed in 48 hours.

Do you know what layer of your cornea was scratched?
Is it in the center of the cornea or off to the side?

Having a scratched cornea rarely means you permanently cannot wear contact lenses.

Your prescription is within the range of contact lens correction. Accuvue disposables go to -12.0
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poor Vision--How to handle the transition? Rss Feed