Groton, Massachusetts
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 28s
Overall Rank = 362/371
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 47/48
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my goal race at the end of my 12 week return to running program, I backed off on training last week so I’d have nice fresh legs for the race. I vaguely remembered seeing “rolling” as part of the course description, so I thought it would be good to be fresh. Then we spent all of Saturday hauling compost around the yard for my mom. Whoops. So Saturday night, as I was getting things together for the race, my husband looks up the results from last year…. Wow, hey, good chance I might be DFL – seem to attract a fast field. Oh well, I remind myself that it’s not about the other people out there, it’s about me running my race. I’d only run a (flat) 10K once before, about a year and a half ago, and I was very poorly prepared and walked much of it.

AdCo should be nowhere near last, but will probably place lower than normal.
Event warmup:

Sunday, get to sleep in as it’s a 1 PM race start (companion kid trot, 2K, and 5K kick off earlier). Drive to Groton with a bathroom stop on the way. Find parking, pick up numbers and shirts, look at 30 person bathroom line and decide we’ll throw the shirts in the car before we get on the line. Walk outside to see a bunch of portapotties with no line… winner! Drop stuff at car, jog a little for warmup. See Team Hoyt. Wander over to the start, where we joke about the “honor system” of corrals (apparently normally they set up corrals, but did not this year). I seed myself nicely near the back (hence the difference between Monica time and Official time). Pre-race spiel talks about the course, including a pothole warning on the first tight corner, and a comment that the course is “rolling” (crowd laughs, I get scared) and to remember the groton version of heartbreak hill in mile 5. The gun was an actual gun – couple local Patriot types shot muskets to start us. I make a last minute call to run without music, although I had it with me.
Run
  • 1h 12m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1: 10:49 – way too fast. Way. Ran with a woman who organizes a local pool tri that’s new on the scene this year, let her go when I realize I am WAY ahead of where I should be, especially since there’s a nice slow rise for about half a mile. She comments that I’ll probably catch her later.
Mile 2: 11:54 - better. Hey, we are up, we are down… but there are no flats. Weird. Oh, and that weird noise? Cows mooing. First shot blok at 20 minutes, per plan (trying out the eating while running thing). Race director lady averages about 100 feet ahead of me, keeping her in my sights.
Mile 3: 11:48 - good, right on pace. Still no flat, but there’s a bagpiper off on a hillside. Gorgeous scenery. Still keeping the race director lady in view, maybe a smidge closer.
Mile 4: 12:15 – mostly uphill. Ran with a couple for a little while. They’d run the 5K earlier, she’s training for a half mary in a few weeks. Get dropped when she easily holds the pace on the net uphill. Mile 4.5 has second water stop…. Cheerleaders. Make it halfway past the line of them when one of them says, hey, it’s Monica! and they all started cheering for me. Freaked me out. Turns out AdCo gave them my race number and told them to cheer for me. About a quarter mile past the water stop, I pass race director lady. J Had another shot blok somewhere in this mile.
Mile 5: 11:48 - finally, some downhill. zip past the mile 5 marker down the steepest part of the course, flying, feeling good. Turn the corner and hey… look. It’s a hill. OK, I can do this, legs are tired but let’s work on our suffering skills (I think I’ll need them for my oly). Get up first bit, recover on the flat-ish piece.. then turn another corner and holy carp, long gradual climb. Go back into “I can suffer” mode, plug away. While I’m heading up the hill, some super speedy girl out for her cooldown runs the other way and says, looking good, running strong, you’re about halfway up. What? Only halfway up? Yikes. Keep repeating to myself that I am not going to walk.
Mile 6: 11:35 (what?) Get to the top, find some flat to recover on, try to push it a little to catch a guy I saw ahead of me on the hill who looked nearly dead. OK, caught him. Get passed by girl who looks like she’s only run about a mile. Apparently she saved a lot for the end. Around the corner to the six mile marker – realize that this is the farthest I have ever run w/out stopping.
Last .2: 2:13 – this is around a track… see AdCo, he tells me to kick it, I laugh and say there is no kick today. Push it as much as I can – look at watch and realize that I’m not going to beat 1:12 (super secret super duper goal), but I’m going to come close.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race: gave jacket to AdCo, as he finished in a great 55 minutes (better than goal) and was freezing since he’d cooled down. Cheered in race director lady. Wandered over for a post race massage, then headed out to see the niece play soccer.

Event comments:

Race was super well organized, course was very well marked, lots of volunteers, probably the friendliest crowd I’ve ever seen at a race. Despite the complete lack of flat (which turned out to be *gasp* fun), I enjoyed this race immensely. I’m now just SLIGHTLY less scared of my oly.

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:12:28 | 06.21 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 0/371
Performance: Good
Course: rolling, no flat. big hill after the 5th mile marker.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-29 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Groton Road Race

2008-04-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1370871

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: Groton Road Race
Awesome Race! You should be proud of you yourself!
2008-04-29 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Excellant race!

Nice way to get back to running and super confidence for your upcoming tri season...see you at Cranberry I hope!

Look how fast 5 & 6 were..sweet! 

2008-04-30 5:29 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Wow... you guys are doing lots of road races.  Way to go!!

Hills suck.  Haha.  But remember, what goes up must come down - I think this is from MaineRob. 

Cool to have cheerleaders to call out your name.  And cows. 

2008-04-30 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
Citrus Springs, Florida
Excellent Job!!!!  I LOVED your race report. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Groton Road Race Rss Feed