General Discussion Race Reports! » Syracuse Mountain Goat 10 mile run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Syracuse Mountain Goat 10 mile run - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Syracuse, New York
United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 55s
Overall Rank = 875/1731
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 64/101
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, took a nice shower and put on my racing outfit that I had laid out the night before. Ate a protein bar and drank some water. Laura came over at about 9am and we walked 1.5mi from my house to the race start/finish.
Event warmup:

Jogged about 200m and stretched out gently.
Run
  • 1h 26m 55s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

My first mountain goat =)

I've been cheering my father along this course since before I could remember. He's done it every year since I was little.

Running it for the first time was exciting for me, especially since the last few miles of the course go through my neighborhood and are on routes that I frequently train on.

Laura decided to race today, and we agreed to run together. I'm the one usually dashing up the hills too fast for my own good; she's the one usually kicking my butt on the last third of our long training runs. I knew it would be mutually beneficial given her experience vs my newbieness.

The first mile was running in a mob, followed by nine more miles of running in a smaller mob. There was plenty of room on the road once the pack thinned out a little, but I don't recall any gaps forming. Just solid people the whole way!

We went in with the goal of running low 8-minute miles and gradually increasing to about 9. Given all my training this year has been at 9+ minutes per mile, this was ambitious. I had no idea how many miles I would be good for at that pace... I just had to trust my training and my running partner =)

There are several long, gradual hills on the course. The old course used to include running to the summit of two water tower hills, but the route was changed because the road was too narrow for the volume of runners the race now attracts.

Laura and I stuck together the whole way! During the race I felt as if I could have taken off, but tonight I feel my legs and I'm really glad that I didn't. I really don't have the experience to know how hard I can push right now before my body will give out. I'll save that experience for my 'A' races! *with proper training
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and caught up with some other racers; found my parents and enjoyed food/water.

Event comments:

This race has come a long way - This year had 1700+ runners in the 10 miler and was well organized. The start was about 10 minutes late, but that was fine. Weird that it starts at 10:15am, I think I would have preferred and earlier time.

Last updated: 2008-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:55 | 10 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/101
Overall: 0/1731
Performance:
Splits: 8:28,8:12,9:00,8:10,8:18,9:01,9:29,9:14,7:59,9:01 Avg HR by mile: 162,161,168,164,162,162,163,161,161,159,163
Course: The course is aptly called the 'mountain goat'. Beginning in downtown Syracuse it exits downtown to the South and tours two of the largest hills in the area. Plenty of long, gradual hills along the way to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes