50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 15s
Overall Rank = 60/102
Age Group = M 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

This race is for a very good cause. From the website:

"The 5th Annual NYS Trooper Biathlon is the major annual fundraiser for the Kelly Children's Education Fund and the Ken Poormon Memorial Fund. Proceeds from this year's event will also benfit the John J. McKenna Fund. Mike Kelly and Ken Poormon were killed in the line of duty in Ulster County, NY on May 31, 2000. Trooper and USMC Captain John McKenna was killed in combat in Iraq on August 16, 2006"

Up at 5:30, on the road at 6, at the race site about 7 for an 8 o'clock start. Why are there only 2 other people here? The race starts at 9!?!?!? D'oh! I could have slept an extra hour. Oh well.

It was in the upper 40's and misty before the race, and I wasn't quite sure what to wear. Warm enough for shorts and short sleeves on the run, but a little cool for the bike. I ride outside all winter, even down in the teens, but I like to be warm on the bike, so I decided on t-shirt, cycling jersey and arm warmers, and tights over my tri shorts.
Event warmup:

A mile or so of easy running.
Run
  • 17m
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a little warm on the run but not bad. Waaaaay too slow. I really wanted to be a little under 8 min. pace. I should have warmed up more.
What would you do differently?:

More warm up. Run faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Too slow

Go faster
Bike
  • 52m 19s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice ride with some good scenery. Started out mostly down hill with some fast down hills for about 7 miles, and then about 3 miles of fairly flat. At mile 10 you hit a big hill. About 5 or 600 ft of climbing in a little over a mile. A challenging climb, but a really pretty part of the course; nice mountain pine forest, and to the right of the road there was a deep ravine with a mountain stream. The last 3 miles were rolling hills.

Excellent traffic control on the course.

Push harder in the fast first ten miles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I was comfortably dressed on the bike, but would have been too warm for the second run, so I took off bike jersey, arm warmers and tights.
Run
  • 17m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought my legs would be heavier from the hard climb, but I really felt pretty good. Passed a guy who turned out to be in my age group at the turnaround, so I managed to avoid DFL in my AG. Ran hard up the last hill and to the finish. As usual, I had too much left in the tank at the end, so I should have pushed myself more.

Run faster. Push myself more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water. The best thing about races where the police are involved is they always have hamburgers and hot dogs after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not good at pacing. I worry too much at the beginning of races and go too slow, and then I have too much left at the end. Plus I'm slow and don't train enough.

Event comments:

A nice race on a good course and for a very good cause. Very happy that New York Tri has gone to chip timing so all the splits are available. I will definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:00 | 02 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 0/102
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on a country road with a couple of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:11
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:52:19 | 14 miles | 16.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Loop with 1 BIG climb
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:37 | 02 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Performance: Average
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: 5th Annual TROOPER BIATHLON

2008-05-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1381807

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: 5th Annual TROOPER BIATHLON
Excellent race Anthony!!  You're right, it is hard to know how hard to push yourself in duathlons.  Just takes practice - the more races you do the better you know.  I usually tell myself to hold back a bit on the 1st run, but I like to go as hard as I can on the bike parts, just cause I'm usually so slow on the bike anyway.  Then, of course, all out on the last run!! You still ran a great race!  Nice job! 
2008-05-09 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1381807

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: 5th Annual TROOPER BIATHLON
Good looking star to the season.  Looks like they really wanted to test those legs on the bike.  Better early then late.  Nice time.  Looking forward to NYCTri.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5th Annual TROOPER BIATHLON Rss Feed