General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 5s
Overall Rank = 5886/30083
Age Group = M30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 740/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up had some eggo waffles and gatorade. Drove down from the in-laws in Carmel. Hung out at the Westin hotel lobby until a little before 7:00am. The wife and I headed to our corral. Since this was a the first time we've run this race we were in the N corral.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little and jogged in place in the corral.
Run
  • 1h 55m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The race itself was very well organized and it was neat to run on the Speedway. You get a perspective that not many people get. However, this was by far and away the most crowded race I've ever ran. My wife commented that this was more crowded than the Chicago Marathon. Starting in the N corral put us towards the back. I'm not sure how they assign corrals, but my wife and I can run a 1:50 half marathon and we were stuck with walkers. We came up on people walking already at the half mile mark. I couldn't get any rhythm going as I was constantly running into people. According to my watch we ran an extra .2 mile, my guess is from all the zig zagging trying to get around people.

Aside from the crowd I thought the course was decent. They had clocks on every mile marker and had more water and gatorade stops than any race I've run. Overall, I'm not really sure I'd want to run this race again. Unless I can get a spot in a different corral or they do something to spread people out, maybe have a minute gap between each corral.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure what I could do differently as it was too crowded to get any type of stride or rhythm going.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish met up with my wife and in-laws. My wife beat me by three minutes :( and walked around the post race festivities.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sheer amount of people on the course

Event comments:

I'd give this race a much higher ranking if they could limit the size or figure out a way to thin the crowd on the course.

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:05 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 740/
Overall: 5886/30083
Performance: Average
Course: The course began in downtown Indy and wrapped through the neighborhoods out to the Speedway. From the Speedway you headed back downtown to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

2008-05-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1381873

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
Not sure if you know this, check out this seeding info if you decide to do it next year...

http://www.500festival.com/marathon/EntryFeesandInformation.asp

You can qualify for the "corrals" - if you can do a 1:50 then you come close to the "L3" - I am not sure which letter corral that refers to but it couldn't hurt. If you knew this already my apologies.

Good job on your race and your wife too - especially after she beat you (For what its worth I could never admit that publicly)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed