General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cumberland County, New Jersey
United States
Pirahna Sports
Total Time = 2h 06m 39s
Overall Rank = 79/163
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:50 a.m., which was too late based on distance from event. Honey Cheerios and OJ at house, Banana and coffee en-route. Nutrition felt good, skipped the usual Clif bar pre-race.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 13m 55s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

In the first race of my second season, my usual worst event has improved, but not nearly enough. Got that head down and in the water and a lot less initial panic. Didn't settle in for about 50 yards. After all winter nailing bi-lateral breathing in pool, went all left. Sighting was not good - need to check into this anti-fog business. The event planners need to rethink the swim exit as it was a complete disaster. Nice enough lake, and I don't care about the murky water, but that ramp was not even close to sufficient.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to just go for it on the swim, now that I'm starting to be less nervous about the swim. I'm always laying back and planning to catch up on the bike and run, but I need to jump on this and go all out. If I need to pull that cap, so be it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Good barefoot jog back to transistion, did decent with wetsuit, but didn't do well getting socks on. Nice run out with bike.

Might actually have to practice this a time or two before each race. Wasting too much time here.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 17s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

One ride all spring prior to this race will simply not get it. Plenty of winter running and swimming, but no biking to save the knees, then too much coaching the kids to get on the bike prior to this race. The bike was set up nice from the shop though and that was a relief.

Simply cannot do 23.5 miles with one prior ride all spring. Next year don't sign up for anything until after June 15th when Little League coaching ends.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Run
  • 31m 58s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs beat from bike. My running this winter was good, but there was simply no way to make up for the absolute lack of bike rides prior to this race. Had pace down to 7:20's at the end of last season, this might have been worst pace ever, and my run training has been consistent. Foolish to think that the lack of bike training wouldn't bite me in the butt. I thought the absence of a half-way timing mat was odd.

Get on that bike early in the spring, or wait to race until you can prepare properly.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Complete lack of biking prior to event.

Event comments:

This was a nice race, at a good location, with good organization, but the swimming ramp situation held it back. Pirahna has enough experience to know better. Not sure what happened here. If doing this next year, ask about the ramp situation prior to committing. Murky water has never bothered me in my very limited race career (1 yr), but I know it bothers some folks. Also the lack of a goody bag should be noted. Being told that they ran out, or whatever the lady said to me was a poor excuse. I liked the red shirt as a change of pace from the 400 white running race shirts I have.

Last updated: 2008-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:55 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 107/163
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: Counter-clockwise loop
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:17 | 23.5 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Overall: 91/163
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Nice, flat course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:58 | 04 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 55/163
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat, out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-09 2:57 PM

Newtown, PA
Subject: NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NEW JERSEY DEVILMANTM HALF & SPRINT TRIATHLON Rss Feed