The Davis Group
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 28m 8s
Overall Rank = 688/32883
Age Group = M Open
Age Group Rank = 469/7325
Pre-race routine:

My first race! I got up at 6am, ate a kid-sized Z-Bar and drank a protein shake. Drove out to the USC campus, where it took me about 20 minutes to find parking because of the lines already at the parking structures. Over 30,000 people participated.
Event warmup:

I was pretty cold for most of the pre-race events and opening ceremonies, but I managed to get in a little bit of stretching. With about 5 minutes to go, I made the trip from the opening ceremonies where I had met my team over to the starting line area, where they had divided the group between runners and walkers. Took a couple minutes to wait in line for the bathroom, but they started the runners late anyway.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

It took me about a half mile to get past all of the people who had joined the running group and then decided to walk anyway. It was pretty cool getting to wave to Tom Selleck as we passed by the starting line, but it still took a couple minutes just to get there through the crowd. There were just so many people around! By the time I hit the first mile marker though, I was pretty much in the pack of runners.
What would you do differently?:

Push myself closer to the front so there wouldn't be as many people to dodge in the first half mile. I probably could have pushed myself a little bit earlier than the mile 3 marker as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the Coliseum grass for a bit, but then it got real crowded. Drank some water, ate some of the free chips they gave out in our goodie bags.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm only a few weeks into my run training, and I know I've been getting faster every week. I wanted to pace myself a bit, but I probably could have pushed myself a little bit more as well, because I still had energy at the end.

Last updated: 2008-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 489/7325
Overall: 688/32883
Performance: Good
Course: We ran around the USC campus, ending up inside the Memorial Coliseum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes