Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
Total Time = 1h 27m 56s
Overall Rank = 176/232
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/27
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine seems to be the same. Grumble about getting up, wake up the Wife (usually the first challenge of the day!) pack up the rest of my gear, the bike, the dog, and the Wife. Try to figure out where all my stuff is packed so I know where it is - the wife packed my bag for me - Thank you dear!. Grab coffee and bagel and creamcheese, drive to the race and drink water at the same time. The it was time to setup the transition area. Of course since my bag was packed by the wife, I couldn't find anything and I setup the transition area my way.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit. I got in the VERY cold water and of course made some jokes about being more hydrodynamic once the "boys" retracted. Other than that, just the usual complaining.
Swim
  • 11m 37s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was COLD. I mean really cold, very cold, holy Sh!t cold! And yes, I'm a wus. Anyway, did I mention cold? I could barely catch my breath just standing in the water an swimming was even worse! I struggled out to the first bouy and then felt like I could swim. WRONG!. I would get about 4 strokes in and then have to breathe. My pool swims have been good, so I'm sure a lot of it is cold water. The wetsuit helped, and when I did swim, I felt VERY good and fast. I just couldn't sustain it. I was NOT last in my group (yeah!), and I wasn't passed by the women (3min behind) until after the last turn, so I consider that a success. Given my issues I wanted to break about 13:00 (worst case) and I believe my actual swim time was right around 11:37 (to out of the water. The race site has 12+ but that included the run out to transition.
What would you do differently?:

I need to sit in the water for 15 to 20 min, but with the national anthem and the cold, I was a little screwed up.
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

OK, I need to figure this out.(time is my swim minus the run to transition + time from race) I got my suit 1/2 - off in the water and ran to transition. From there, it all went to crap! I had to sit down as I was so dizzy I felt like I was going to fall over. I had to really think about putting on my shoes (need to remember little things - unvelcro shoes first, etc), my socks pissed me off as I my feet were too wet and the layers bunched and seperated. (I'd ride without, but am having blister issues, so... I also had trouble getting on my gloves (Wife says they were insided out, might be part of the problem). My biggest problem was if I had a fast transition, I would have ridden like one of those kids who spins around playing the bat game and then can't run straight. I actually had trouble with the run to the bike course, as I was dizzy. It was a good 5 min before I was ready to run well.

Not be dizzy. Have shoes open, practice with socks, think about things a bit better. my layout was good, just my execution stunk!
Bike
  • 44m 22s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 15.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, I was a little dizzy out of the blocks and up the first hill, so I took it easy. I then almost died as I picked up my water bottle and BLAM, hit a "divit" in the course. Gatoraid everywhere! Oh, well, lesson learned. I then felt really good. My legs warmed up nicely, and I felt pretty good. I have only been on the bike 4 times total, once at the store, 1 20+ mile ride, and two trainer rides, so I was happy. I kept saying "Still have to run, still have to run." This actually helped me from making sure to pass the bozo in the pants with the rear view mirror who would sprint past me and then slow down. You gota hate the tall guys who ride a lot, but don't know how to ride in a pack. I felt that I climbed really well and really enjoyed things. On the one huge downhill, I hit somewhere around 36mph, and yelled WHEEEEEEEE. I'm know I cracked up a few people I passed as I heard laughing.

There was also a duathlon, so there were a lot of bikers who hadn't swam, and I could tell that some of them were used to drafting, as there was quite a bit of that, and of pulling in close infront of me.

Bring front mounted lasers to shoot the annoying guy and drafters!

MORE TITS!! (time in the saddle)
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Again I was slow. I really think it is more to due with practice and just keeping my bearings.

Practice more. Learn how to jump of bike and take off shoes.
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 2.78 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming out of T2, I felt very sluggish. My legs were like lead and the hill didn't help. I felt like I was doing a good job of one foot infront of the other, but still felt slow. My pacing says I did OK, butI really need more bricks and hills, I've avoided them, and that will help. I felt pretty good on the downhill and then I felt my legs finally get under me. That was until the big hill around mile 2+. That sapped me and a few people blew by me. I then felt ok, coming across the last 1/2 mile or so and was trying to reel a few people in, but didn't have that much gas. As I came towards the chute, I heard someone come up behind me, and I was like, NO WAY, and sprinted the last 200 yards or so. As I pulled out on the guy, I heard him yell, "go for it" or something. Thanks 51! That was a nice push, and it felt good. He came up and high-fived me after the race. I know the course was short as I was way faster than expected, but I ran the whole way - except rock in shoe - and I surprised the Mrs. who was spectating and didn't see me finish.

Run faster :) Be better a hills. Will work on both of those.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough TITS :) I just like saying that!

Last updated: 2008-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:37 | 440 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 156/232
Performance: Below average
I'm saying 11:37 - as that was my swim time, but actual time of website has run out to transition area and shows 12+ I will do math to put in transition time.
Suit: Yes
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:22 | 11.8 miles | 15.96 mile/hr
Overall: 166/232
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was nice, but had some killer hills (to a guy who needs more TITS :) Was fun, and except for miles 4-9, all the ups were followed by nice downs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 70s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:37 | 02.78 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 175/232
Performance: Average
Course: THIS COURSE WAS SHORT. My garmin has been pretty close in all the races I've done all year, and this one said 2.78, if not, I was REALLY fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: New England Season Opener

2008-05-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1398300

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener
what a tease, mr. "will fill out report later"
2008-05-13 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Very discriptive report 
2008-05-13 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Ok, all you smart @ss's Updated bad spelling and all!
2008-05-14 6:07 AM

Awesome job! I also had trouble with dizziness after the swim, though not so bad as you I think...maybe it was the cold, I've heard it can mess with your ears..brrrr! Kudos for pulling through it and doing a great job!

Edited by moondirt 2008-05-14 6:10 AM
2008-05-14 7:18 AM

User image

Pro
MA

ok.. much better.

Hey, seriously, you did a great job.  Cold water can be got used to.  Congrats on the bike ride - new bike with only 4 rides and you crushed the course!  Way to go sprinting at the end, too.

2008-05-14 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Great report.  More descriptive than I was.  I actually wish I was in your wave, not the newbie wave.  Not a bad bike leg, considering you have only been on your bike a handful of times.  We will have to meet up at another race.
2008-05-15 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA

FYI, "set up my way"  =  stuff everywhere.     

this is much better than your first draft, my dear.

I'm sorry I missed you finish, but you looked great out there.  I might have to write 'still have to run' on my arm in sharpie for my race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Rss Feed