GHI
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

As usual, this year's race was the same day as my spring actuarial exam. So, I didn't have much of an opportunity for anything beforehand. I studied in the morning, had my exam from 2-4, stopped by the store for a banana and granola bar then rushed downtown to get a parking spot.
Event warmup:

No time to warm up! line for the bathroom was too long...
Run
  • 33m 55s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I will say that my official time was 35:10 but I didn't actually cross the START line until 1:15, so this is my "unofficial" time. But all that I really care about since I did it for personal time - I was certainly not being depended upon by my team for a "winning" time! Also, I had a stomach bug the entire day before. I could have gone faster but was afraid of "the bug" rearing its ugly head again and throwing up.

The run itself wasn't bad. The initial run up the hill wasn't as bad as I anticipated because I was stuck in traffic and couldn't go that fast. It was the unexpected hill in the park that almost got me. For that last mile I just kept saying over and over in my head, "Pace yourself", and I made it without falling down the hill, throwing up or anything else embarassing! I didn't really expect the "pull" on the last downhill to the museum to be quite that strong. It almost had my legs going faster than they could handle!
What would you do differently?:

Do NOT get caught in the bathroom line when people are lining up! How do I avoid some of the slower crowd?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to get my free stuff...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

#1 reason was the darn stomach bug I had the day before. I was weak, probably dehydrated and my stomach hurt!
But also, just being stuck in a slow crowd at the beginning.

Event comments:

As organized as an event this big can be! I was actually pleased with the amount of water they had on the course.

Last updated: 2008-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:55 | 03.5 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Up Madison Ave from the plaza, winding course through Washington Park, and then back down Madison to the museum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes