View Member's Race Log
Bagram AFB,
Afghanistan
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0430 to get a power bar in my system before the race. Went to the bathroom, sat around a little bit, went to the bathroom again, and finally headed out to run down to the race site.
Event warmup:

We were running a little late, so I only got 1.34 miles in for a warmup. I normally would have done a full 2 miles, but I was at least over 10 minutes which is what mattered. Nice and easy with a few pickups/strides near the end.
Run
  • 41m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out too fast, but according to the pace I thought I wanted to keep. I guess my run fitness just isn't where it needs to be. My goal time was 39 minutes, so I set out to do my 1/4 miles in 1:35. I had my Garmin autolap, so I didn't have to constantly check for pace. I stayed exactly on pace for the first 3 miles and hit the turnaround point at 19:10. I was running strong, but I could tell that my legs just didn't feel 100%. They were a little tired heading into the race even with a light week.

The way back did not go well. The course was not well marked, so after the turn around, I had to weave my way through people going the other direction. I ended up plowing head first into a very large individual. But really, I just didn't have the fitness to keep that pace for the full 10k. By mile 4 I was pulling 1:45s for the 1/4 miles. Not good. I compounded my mistake by not drinking any water during the run. Even a short 40 minute run requires some water.

I ended up with a top 10 finish, but I'm embarassed by my time.
What would you do differently?:

I know better than to start out too fast. I normally like to run negative splits, but I overestimated my fitness today. I needed to start off conservatively and then see what I had left for the last few miles.

I also need to drink some water at the first two water stops.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a light 1.2 miles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than my fitness? This race wasn't a priority, so I didn't taper or really prepare for it.

Event comments:

Nothing special, but for Afghanistan it was well done.

Last updated: 2008-05-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:12 | 06.2 miles | 06m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Ave HR: 184bpm Max HR: 191bpm
Course: The course was an out and back. There's not much choice out here. Relatively flat, but not straight, so significant amount of it was into the wind.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-17 3:41 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: GWOT Trot

2008-05-17 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1408324

Expert
Fort Bragg
Subject: RE: GWOT Trot
Smokin' 10K. That's my APFT pace. Way to go! Especially good since I've heard about that Bagram isn't all that fun to run on. A buddy of mine was at Phoenix and had a real tough time running there.
2008-05-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1408420

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: GWOT Trot
I've heard life is good down at Phoenix. Don't they even have a pool?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GWOT Trot Rss Feed