The Federal Cup
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 1s
Overall Rank = 26/211
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 6 and made a smoothie. Did the standard multiple bathroom trips and headed to the Fed Center. Got there about 7:15, parked and got my bib. Found Tim and wandered around. They were slowly getting things set up.
Event warmup:

30 minutes before the scheduled race time I went out for a warm up run. Did the first 3/4 mile or so and hit a port o potty out there. Ran another mile and stopped at another one. At this point I was going to be able to get back, change and get to the start line with about 3 minutes to spare - just about perfect. I get back and find out that due to late arrivals and a large number of race day registrations they back it up 15 minutes. Hmmm, Ok so I messed up my warm up timing. Went over and got my shirt and took it back to the car. Then dropped off the door prize ticket and headed back. Had my gel and water about 3 minutes before the presumed 8:30 start. People started milling about the start area. Now I had to go again but didn't want to miss the start. What to do, what to do. If I have the system cleared out I am fine, if not, I have about 10 minutes to find facilities. Finally at 8:41 we get the ready GO from Reggie Rivers
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to start on the front row of a wide street. As the faster runners settled in, I was just behind the pack of about 20 or so. I stayed in that pocket with a few people picking up and going by. I was running with about 6 folks from the 1/3 mile point to past the 1 mile, that thinned to 3 through the 2 mile mark. Then I started losing ground to the folks ahead of me and I was struggling. I just tried to maintain pace but realized I was slowing. I had a couple of people go by, but just one from my original "6 pack" . Then a couple of more went by and finally 2 more with one being a "pack" member. She ended up being the first female and was like 12 yrs old.

What would you do differently?:

I am frustrated with my self in how this one played out. I had visions of going out in 7:10 and then picking up the pace once we started going down hill and closing strong to get a 21:30 or 21:40. I also though about 6:56's and finishing in 7:30, I didn't think I would fade as much as I did.

On the other hand, this was 56 seconds faster than I raced last year and it was only 6 seconds slower than my opening 5k last weekend on a course I believe could have been short by up to .15 miles so I am going with this as my 5K PR - 30 seconds faster than my fastest 5k in 2007.
Post race
Warm down:

Was planning to go out and do anywhere from a mile to the whole course in reverse, but instead, when I found Tim (who took 3 btw - I recruited well for our team) he was on the massage tables and there were like 5 tables open so I jumped on one of them

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough proper tempo work lately, and maybe taking the first mile too quick. Also I just felt off this morning.

Event comments:

It was fun hanging with a podium finisher. Funny, they only announced/awarded second place team for the walkers every other category they stuck with first.
At the end of the door prizes Reggie got tired of pulling numbers of folks who were gone so he just started calling out states and was looking for the capitols. First person he heard won it. Missed out on the first one, then he called Wisconsin. This ex-chedderhead was all over Madison, so I won a gift certificate to the Red Rocks Grill, a couple of more go by then Tim nailed Trenton to get a Boulder Running Company gift certificate. So all in all, we had a profitable day. Now just to work out the child care for some date time :)

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:01 | 03.11 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/40
Overall: 26/211
Performance: Good
After the long break, the HR never registered properly. It only reached 95 the whole race. 195 would be more like it..... 6:58, 6:54, 8:06 (7:22 pace for the last 1.1)
Course: Over the streets at the Fed Center. Uphill about 100 ft the first mile then mostly downhill/flat til the end where there is a slight rise
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-17 11:29 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: The Federal Cup

2008-05-20 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1408979

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: The Federal Cup

Hey sounds like a good race you went faster than last year, better than going slower! And I love it when you win something, my Tri last weekend only gave away a gatoraid water bottle to everyone. I love it when they have the bike raffles, I guess that only happens in the smaller events.

2008-05-21 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1408979

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: The Federal Cup
great race!  great results!  the more we do these the more we learn to develop successful strategies and race to plan.  It was a solid race throughout!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Federal Cup Rss Feed