General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retrain body to be happy with less sleep? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-05-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1414442

User image

Expert
MA
Subject: RE: Retrain body to be happy with less sleep?
monkeyboy64 - 2008-05-20 4:36 PM

Try getting up at 4:00 every day for a while. You'll soon be craving an earlier bed time. It takes a while, but the body does make the adjustment. I knock off at 9 - 9:30 and am up at 4:00 M - F. After a few months, I even began to wake up before the alarm. Pure craziness.

I did - for years, when I was commuting in and out of Boston for college and internships. Being exhausted doesn't mean I will sleep. It just means I'm going to drag . I got up at 5:30 every morning for years and still would never get to sleep before 11pm without being sick or drunk.

2008-05-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1413236

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I'm thinking that I might be sleep deprived, since I get about 5-6.5 hours of sleep per night during the week, plus 2 naps on the bus if I can fall asleep (usually about 20-50 minutes).  But when I go to sleep at night, it still takes me at least 20 minutes to fall asleep a lot of the time (probably because of my afternoon nap and evening training).  I think it has an effect on my overall mood, recovery, motivation, and susceptibility to illness.
2008-05-20 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

I think that you have to work it out for yourself as everyone is different.  This sounds very obvious, but the more I train the more sleep I need. 

RE: cooking, get yourself a steamer, like the George Foreman one's with three tiers.  I use a similar one and all I have to do is cut up the vegies etc and the steamer does the rest in no time.  All I have to to do is add the different vegies at different times and don't need to stand over it all the time.  I have cooked all sorts with it.  Believe it or not the food tastes great and not as bland as some people might think.  You can also use your imagination and use different spices etc...

2008-05-20 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

As usual, a very interesting read!

My cooking takes a lot of prep time and clean-up time (and yes, I bought a food processor, too).  It's basically organic vegetarian foods, light cooking, low sodium, lots of variety.  Fennel to Quinoa to mung beans.  It's a lot of new recipes, so I'm trying to get the hang of them and tweak them to our tastes.  The amount of time this takes should improve with practice.

I think I will try cooking larger amounts to have leftovers more often.

Don't want to give up yoga. I love the flexibility and strength it is adding.  (The type of yoga I do moves through poses quite rapidly.)

And I believe you are all right -- you can't "reprogram" your need for sleep.  I think I am already sleep deprived based on that article someone provided.  Clearly this is an important topic for triathletes -- I saw two related blogs pop up.  :-)

2008-05-20 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1414371

User image

Veteran
chadtower - 2008-05-20 4:19 PM

snowriderinfl - 2008-05-20 2:46 PM

This means that once your head hits the pillow and you close your eyes, it should take you 7-15 minutes to fall asleep. If you fall asleep quicker then that YOU ARE SLEEP DEPRIVED.

I can't remember falling asleep in less than a half hour in many years now. Some nights it takes a full hour and there have been nights in the past where I just never fall asleep.

If you are having trouble falling asleep there are lot of things (medically called 'sleep hygiene") that you can do to help you fall asleep easier. Just a few quick suggestions: If you are stressing over the time it takes to fall asleep take the clock out of the room. Counting minutes or hours can be stressful and prevent you from falling asleep. Try taking a hot shower right before bed. Our body temperature drops as part of the mechanism of falling asleep. What is important is the temp drop not the starting temp, so heating your body up in the shower and then cooling down as you get out of the shower will help promote sleep.

For more information and suggestions go to the National Sleep Foundation web site:

http://www.sleepfoundation.org

2008-05-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1414118

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

This means that once your head hits the pillow and you close your eyes, it should take you 7-15 minutes to fall asleep. If you fall asleep quicker then that YOU ARE SLEEP DEPRIVED. If you can put your head down during the day and fall right to sleep, you are sleep deprived.

7-15, that seems long, but I guess I really need to time this because I am a champion sleeper. It takes me no time to fall asleep.  And, I'm the text book power napper.  I can put my head down, fall asleep and without any prompting wake up 15 minutes later.  I'd hardly call myself sleep deprived, I always get 7-9 hours a night, most nights it's 8.  I wake up "naturally," in other words, I need no prompting from an alarm clock.  I've been doing this for at least three years.

So I'm a bit dubious at calling me sleep deprived because I can fall asleep within 3 minutes of hitting the pillow. That said, I do lay down on the pillow and read for 30-45 minutes so maybe i"ve already trained  my brain to shut off.

BUT I do agree with other posters, OF COURSE there will be exceptions to the rule, but the idea you can "train" to live on 5 or 6 hours a night is just setting oneself up for disaster, IMHO.

2008-05-20 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
I hear what you are saying regarding falling asleep. There are two things I want to point out. First, it is near impossible self evaluate and judge time when you are sleeping or falling asleep. The only way to truly tell how long it took to fall asleep is in a sleep lab or hooked up to an Electroencephalography. This is just the way our brains work. Ask a sleep doctor if you can. It is very common in a sleep lab for a patient to self evaluate themselves and say it took them at least an hour to fall asleep, yet based on the EEG and video measurements they were asleep inside of 10 minutes.

That being said it is possible for your brain to enter sleep latency while you are reading for that 20-30 minutes.

Second, during an initial screening a Sleep doc will ask if you nap during the day. Napping is an indication that something may, I said may, be out of whack such as being sleep deprived. Even though you wake each day without an alarm there are many issues that can disrupt and fragment your sleep. Waking up in the middle of the night, even micro arousals which only last 5 seconds or less and you don't remember are enough to impact your delta and rem sleep not allowing the body to get the rest and more important repair itself the way we need.

The most important thing is how you feel during the day. You should be waking up feeling refreshed (without caffeine) and should not feel as if you could fall asleep during the day if you put your head down.

Sorry for the the brain dumping, I just love to talk about sleep.

Again, go to the National Sleep Foundation web site. It has tons of great info on sleep.
2008-05-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1415030

User image

Expert
MA
snowriderinfl - 2008-05-20 9:20 PM

There are two things I want to point out. First, it is near impossible self evaluate and judge time when you are sleeping or falling asleep. The only way to truly tell how long it took to fall asleep is in a sleep lab or hooked up to an Electroencephalography.

I should point out that I've been there, done that. All of it. The basic conclusion, by multiple doctors, is that some people just don't conform to the average stat windows. People are unique - some are on the tail end of the bell curve in some areas.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Retrain body to be happy with less sleep? Rss Feed  

of 2