General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fredericksburg, Virginia
United States
Marine Corps Marathon office
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 57s
Overall Rank = 1862/3822
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 0520, though as always I would have like to sleep in for at least another couple of hours. I quickly got dress and waited for the rest of the family to catch up. This was the beginning of what was going to be a very long day.
Event warmup:

I generally don't use this time very wisely. I know that I should really start, but all I can think about that early in the morning is why am I even awake yet. At minimum I should stretch my legs, or something, but no I would rather stumble around half awake.
Run
  • 2h 09m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this run knowing that I wasn't trying to PR. Since it was my wife's (Runnerg1rl7) first Half I wanted to run with her for the whole distance. Even with taking it easier than I could have it still proved to be a tough course that provided a good training run with some valuable experience to be used to make me a better runner.

The course had a fairly difficult hill towards the end, but luckily I live in Northeast PA so I have had plenty of hills to run on, so it wasn't a show stopper for my run.
What would you do differently?:

I would have eat something different the day before that hopefully wouldn't have made my stomach such a mess to run with. I am not sure what did it to me, since it was all the basic pre race stuff; pasta, bread, water, etc. Other than that it was a good running day, though I think I could have gone into it a little better hydrated.
Post race
Warm down:

Well this consisted of walking aroung the expo a little, trying to drink some bear at 0930 (Uck, never again), and a 10 min drive back to the hotel to get a shower. I really need to start stretching my legs immediatly after my runs, be it a race or training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only reason I didn't run faster was because I chose to enjoy the run with my wife, I think it was one of my better decisions as of late.

Last updated: 2008-01-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3822
Performance: Average
Course: The course was a good challenge, with some moderate hills spread throughout the entire 13.1 miles. Luckily for me, I live in a hilly area, so must of my training has some hills in it. I am glad that I wasn't caught of gaurd with those hills otherwise my legs would be very stiff right now.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-20 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Elgin,
Subject: Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon

2008-05-20 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1414309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon

Thanks for the kind words for my race report.  Your wife did a great job, I'm sure she appreciated you supporting her.

I got the beer afterwards as well, it was not that great, maybe its a Michelob thing?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon Rss Feed