General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chamois Towels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-08 5:59 PM

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: Chamois Towels
I was given a super absorbant Speedo chamois towel for Christmas, which seems to work great at absorbing water, but it's very small, like drying off with a kleenex. Once I'm done I wring it out and hang it on a towel rack at home, and it dries and hardens up like a piece of stiff cardboard. The first time I hung it on my drying rack it dried to a flat sheet, so I couldn't even fit it in my gym bag. It came in a plastic tube container, and was very pliable. Am I using this thing right? There were no directions with it.

One thing I've found is that it works well at sucking water out of my swim shorts when I roll them up in it and squeeze it a bit. I'm just not sure how it's meant to be used and cared for.

Any help would be appreciated.

2005-01-08 9:12 PM
in reply to: #100938

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: RE: Chamois Towels

I use a chamois for drying my car and I keep it in a zip-lock bag so it will stay pliable.  I wring it out as much as possible and zip it in the bag.  A week or so later when I wash my car again it's still moiste and ready to do it's job.  I'd say keep it in the plastic container it came in.  Also, (according to my car chamois knowledge) you can wash it in the washing machine with normal detergent.  I throw it in with my clothes when it gets dirty.  They say not to put it in the dryer because the residual fabric softener in there will adhere to it and will streak your finish.  I just put it back in the zip lock right out of the washer.

Happy drying.

2005-01-09 9:11 AM

The above poster is correct, leave it a little damp in a ziplock or the original container. Or you can just moisten it bit before you put it in your gym bag.
2005-01-09 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Often the platic containers they come in have holes in the bottom so it can "breathe" and not mildew. Just wring it out good, roll it up, and slide it back in the container. It should be ready for use the next time you need it. ;-)
2005-01-09 2:09 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Does it stink like a towel if you put it back in the container moist?
2005-01-09 7:07 PM

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thanks for the advice.

I'll let you know if it goes sour like a regular towel does when I forget to take it out of my bag when I get home.

J.

2005-01-10 3:34 AM

User image

Nah, they don't go sour. If they do, just rinse them out with a little dish soap.

Sometimes it takes two or three rings to get yourself dry though.

Works great on cars too!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chamois Towels Rss Feed