General Discussion Race Reports! » One America 500 Festival Mini-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

One America 500 Festival Mini-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
One America 500 Festival
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 58s
Overall Rank = 26,500/38,000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2044/2381
Pre-race routine:

Stuck with my normal morning routine, just wayyyyyyyyy earlier.
16 oz of double strength starbucks espresso blend, w/ FF vanilla creamer, 1 tsp of sugar
bowl of cinnamon oatmeal (w/ soy protein)/water
12 oz of water
Event warmup:

pee, pee some more, poo, overwhelming cry (aka release) all while walking to the corral... felt better afterward. I didn't really do much of a warmup... just all the wlkg from porto-johns, to bag check, to porto san ... then the corral...probably a mile in all... i felt a need to preserve all I could for the big race... since it was a my first half marathon.
Run
  • 3h 24m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt REALLY REALLY good on this run. I could have pushed myself more early on but fear of burnout prevented it. I was comfortable being comfortable-not sure if that is good or bad? Good I think, the only goals I had were to finish within the reg time and have FUN-Mission accomplished. Could of stopped less at aid stations early on for water, but I followed the 'if you feel thirsty drink' rule. I had 5 moments of utter endorphin bliss thoroughout the race.... yep I was the one yelling out WOOOOOOOOO--YEAH when others were bitching about blisters and fatigue. I also sang along to the chorus of "let's get it started"-- wayyyyy loud -- on the 500 race track... so yep i was the silly happy bitch singing "wooo hoooo in here...ah ha". Probably shouldn't have wasted energy singing and dance-running to all the bands early on in the race. I wanted that energy back in mile 12--> badly. I got a little loopy in mile 10. I thought I'd already completed it... and then I saw the 10 mile marker sign "again". damn. Funny thing was I happened to be running arnd folks who though the same thing.. maybe there was something in our water? lol. I carried a list of 13 people to inspire me for each mile. That was a great motivation to have on hand.. next time I'll laminate the list...as it became mushy paper by mile 10...and tough to read.lol.
What would you do differently?:

I would have run the first 10k harder.
Would have gotten more speed drills in training at an earlier date
Laminate the list of mile-motivation names/friends
Taken a gel right before I hit the 500 track.. or broken the rules and had one on the track. (they didn't tell participants until race day that gels were NOT allowed on the 500 track...I reallllly needed one about 1/2 way arnd. I came out of there a little faded...)

Post race
Warm down:

walked crying through the finish corrals. wandered the post-race area looking for the massage tent for what seemed like an hr... when I found it they weren't accepting any more folks in the line URGH. Later I sat and stretched for about 10 min. Had a free beer! (note to michelob... um not the time to market your lowcarb beer):)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-mind over matter; inexperience in this distance
-maybe a little stress
-excess body fat!
-Lack of a gel (per the rules) on the Indy 500 race track.
-Should have had more bottles on the fluid belt to avoid stops at water stations.
-walking all of mile 12, sucked, but was necessary
-Got a lower left calf cramp right before mm 13! stopped to stretch it for a minute - GOOD THING as it would have shut me down if I hadnt

Event comments:

My rank for the female division was: 13,053 out of 15,736 ! (I think this is cool).
I slowly walked 98% of mile 12... which had a pretty negative affect on my overall time... but my body made that happen... i recovered and bounced back to run in mi 13.1
This was fun and emotional. I balled after I crossed the finish line and pre-race just for making it there. Had a great moment in telling some little boy that he should never let anyone tell him he can't do anything. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:24:58 | 13.1 miles | 15m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 2044/2381
Overall: 26500/38,000
Performance: Good
I would have this data if my STUPID NEW GARMIN FORERUNNER50 had ACTUALLY WORKED RIGHT and not ERASED ALL MY RACE DATA when I tried to sync it the first time. god! I do know that while tracking laps through the race I had a solid 12min pace going through mile 5. In fact, mile one was 12 m on the nose & b4 I checked my watch, I thought I was running @ a slower - "safe" pace. *I do a RUN/WALK method based off of the Galloway training.. so what you see for times is a pace which includes 12-13 mins of running+ a 1-2 min recovery walk.
Course: Flat city! :) the only incline was upon entry to the 500 motor speedway. It's good to stay near the inner ring of the 500 race track as the sides are elevated/banked... so if you're anywhere from the middle to the outside you'll be running on an uneven surface... so to speak. The whole course was clean as a whistle; supporters all along the route. Bands with great music, dance groups, cheerleaders all along the way. so fun....except near the end I was sticking to the ground from the left over cups/gatorade spilled at aid stations. Went through some rough Indy neighborhoods in the final miles. I never felt unsafe though because they had national guardsmen and/or police at every intersection. 3 folks fell out arnd me throughout the course and EMS/Police/National Guardsman were on the scence within seconds.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3 lbs
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-25 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: One America 500 Festival Mini-Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » One America 500 Festival Mini-Marathon Rss Feed