General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Our Veterans...Sea Isle City Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri for Our Veterans...Sea Isle City Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sea Isle City, New Jersey
United States
Sea Isle City
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 19s
Overall Rank = 17/350
Age Group = Military
Age Group Rank = 3/45
Pre-race routine:

Nice when the race is 2 blocks from your house.
Event warmup:

Light swim to get used to cold water..58 degrees.
Swim
  • 09m 20s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I hate run in starts. They get my HR way up and it takes me 20-30 secs to catch my breath. Much rather wade have in or swimming start. Beach had gully that you ran into and then out of and continued on to the surf. Having not done any sprint work in the past year, I was really going slow to keep my breathing down. Once I hit the flag I was about 15 people deep in my wave. I then felt great and swam extremely straight. I came out 4th in the wave. If it were a wade in start I believe I would have been in the top 2, but you have to race the course! Seemed like running and then swimming was easy when I was a kid. Not anymore! Took off wetsuit at waters edge so I lost some time. Not sure if this made it easier or not. Then we had a 300 yard run to transition through the soft sand so the times are slower than a normal 400m swim.
What would you do differently?:

After IMLP training I can do more speedwork and maybe be better at swimming after a dash.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

First race with shoes on pedals. Did ok and took about 2 blocks to get locked in fully. Best transition time I have ever had so I guess it was somewhat successful.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 32s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 20.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I was going faster than the official times show. I did not reset my computer so I can't measure if it was accurate or not. There were 3 loops and you had to turn about 12 times so that could be part of it. Only one rider broke 24MPH. Some riders I know who are strong were only at 22MPH, so I am not sure if the exact distance is correct. Time is correct.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

One shoe fell off coming in and a volunteer grabbed it for me and put it with my stuff. Put socks on since new shoes gave me blisters without them. Not a bad T2.
Run
  • 23m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Seems with my IM training I am becoming a one speed triathlete. My training runs and races are the same pace regardless of distance. I guess that means more speedwork after IM. Not a big deal as I really was doing this race for fun only.
Post race
Event comments:

A great race for a great cause. This was very well organized especially for a first time event. Lots of volunteers kept traffic off the course and directed where to go. Kudos to all the volunteers. Matt the race director did a fantastic job. Raised $30K for the injured marines. What a great experience and a priveledge it was to race alongside the injured Marines that were present. Inspiring to say the least. It was really cool to be able to run by and say Thank You to these great people.

Last updated: 2008-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:20 | 400 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 0/350
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: Box swim. Dash out and swim to first flag at 100m. Turn left swim 200M and then turn left again for last 100M.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:32 | 12.3 miles | 20.77 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops of a small box. A lot of starting and stopping. Tailwind on the way down of each loop and headwind on the way back.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:01 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Over boardwalk and down onto beach for an out and back run on the hard sand.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-25 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Subject: Tri for Our Veterans...Sea Isle City Triathlon

2008-05-26 7:37 AM
in reply to: #1423890

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Tri for Our Veterans...Sea Isle City Triathlon

Hi Monty,

Congrats on the 3rd place, strong bike / run

See you at BB.. 

Zvika

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Our Veterans...Sea Isle City Triathlon Rss Feed