United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 12s
Overall Rank = 240/4813
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 40/417
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early at 3:45. Ate breakfast that consisted of peanut butter on toast. Drove to Des Monies and boarded shuttle bus to the start point at approximately 5:30. The bus ride was interesting as I got to meet a few people. It's always neat to learn why others are running.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. Did a lot of walking around the start area and made sure to hydrate myself. Popped a GU energy gel about 15 minutes before race time.
Run
  • 1h 29m 12s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I was fairly pleased with this run. I went in with the goal of running 7.5 minute miles and I easily surpassed that. I'm not sure if I was fully hydrated because pretty early on I kinda got that light headed feeling around mile 5. But I got more fluids in me without causing a sideache and that subsided. About mile 7 I took another GU packet and that seemed to provide a temporary boost that I still haven't decided if its mental or not. I started passing a lot of people at that point. But about mile 10 I really started dragging. I couldn't get myself to sprint very hard to the finish, which has never happened to me before. But like I said I was very pleased with my time.
What would you do differently?:

One, visit the bathroom closer to the race start. I realized I had to go again about 4 miles into the race, but didn't want to stop. It may have subsided by the end, but could have hindered me for a few miles. I might also consider bringing my drink belt along. They had plenty of water stations, but some accelerade would have been nice.
Post race
Warm down:

Just a lot of walking. I did several loops around Nollen plaza

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bathroom issue and possibly hydration and nutrition.

Event comments:

Obviously the largest 20K race in america is very well organized. Tons of volunteers, tons of aid stations. Loved the entertainment along the route and at the finish. I will definitely be doing this race for many years to come.

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:12 | 12.43 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/417
Overall: 240/4813
Performance: Good
Course: I enjoyed the course. It was mostly downhill with a couple of challenging hills in the second half. Spectators pretty much lined the entire course which was impressive. There were even several live bands along the route. I did find the truck blaring Springsteen's Born to Run especially cheesy. I think the highlight though was a guy ringing a cowbell and asking the runners if they wanted "More Cowbell." Hilarious.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes