Lansing, Michigan
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 14s
Overall Rank = 102/500
Age Group = 24-29
Age Group Rank = 11/34
Pre-race routine:

Swimming was my main focus over the last few weeks as I needed a lot of improvement. I regularly run and bike.
Event warmup:

1.5 mile run apx 30 minutes prior to race start. 3 or 4 minute swim just prior to heat starts.
Swim
  • 08m 54s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started great! Passed a few people then got too excited and lost focus of my breathing. I turned to my back for about 10 seconds and restarted my swimming. This happened twice. I finished the swim well, not strong, but well. I was glad to realize how *quick* the swim went.
What would you do differently?:

Need more OWS experience and practice with other people. I gotta remember to focus on my breathing when I get excited and lengthen my stroke/stride.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

I started removing my wetsuit, goggles and cap right after exiting the water.

My hand-me-down biking shoes suck and I had a problem getting the strap to stay tight. I realize that I could have spent less time in T1 if I had new shoes. My shoes also were quite slippery when walk/running out of T1.

I was pretty excited to realize that I had just completed the first leg of my first tri!

Buy new shoes.
Bike
  • 31m 47s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Rode hard. I pushed hard on the bike, hoping to make up for my slow swim. I was able to dig deep in the hills thanks to the course I've been training on.

I kept an avg cadence of 90rpms. A few times on the flat and downhill areas I knew I could go faster in a higher gear so I shifted up.

I wonder what options I have to make my bike faster? It's an old 70's model Fuji road bike, so it's already pretty light. But I cannot afford a new bike, yet...
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I wasn't quite as fast as I'd hoped to be during T1 so I tried to move more quickly during T2. Again I had a strap issue with one of my shoes. Overall I was happy.

I had my transition are noted well, but I think I may try to use my daughters sidewalk chalk next time. That may help me find my bike / transition area a bit faster.
Run
  • 24m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My calves started to cramp just into the run. I figure I used gel too late into the bike. I've had this happen with longer rides recently so I was kind of prepared for it. I knew that I could just run through it and eventually the cramping would settle. It did. Then I found my grove!

I found myself digging deep up the small hills and cruising along the boardwalk. Then I saw a photographer, gotta look like I'm pushing it here. Running back into the woods and into Scott's Woods I know that I was making good time. After the turn around I looked at my watch. I've run here quite a bit, I know it doesn't take me 6 minutes to run that back stretch back to the finish line.... I make just run my fastest 5k...

I see the finish - there's my wife and daughter, gotta go a bit faster to impress them! Then the rest of the crowd, clapping - I see some guy kneeling next to the course and he looks at me and yells 'good pace, keep it up until the finish line' I think to myself, I have some reserve in me. Then I wonder if pushing too hard now will make me sick. Just finish the run... HECK NO! This is my first tri! I'm gonna finish strong even if I do puke. I pushed harder and lengthened my stride. I felt like I was flying past the guy who told me to keep my pace.

'155 Jeremy Hagerman' I hear the announcer. That's me, I did it, I ran my first triathlon. I looked at my watch - I just ran my fastest 5k ever... after swimming and biking.

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

An easy walk. Nothing too intense.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

When I lost focus of breathing in my swim, and cramping calves at the start of the race. I wonder what my time would have been without the cramping.

Event comments:

Buoys detached from their anchors prior to the race start. So start was delayed in order to re-anchor the buoys. No big deal, but I was excited to start!

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:54 | 437 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 10/500
Performance: Average
Suit: Half Non-Tri Wetsuit
Course: U-shaped / Out and around a few buoys.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:47 | 10 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Overall: 16/500
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly smooth roads. Rode over a few newly paved roads. Good track with only 2 or 3 small climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:31 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 17/500
Performance: Good
Course: Paved course. Out and back with a short leg through Scott's Woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: Hawk Island Triathlon

2008-06-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1437930

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon

Great report and great race Jeremy. 

Soooo, what's next? 

2008-06-04 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1437930

User image

Subject: RE: Hawk Island Triathlon
Nice job on your 1st Tri. That's awesome that you PR'd your 5k especially after just having your feet worked on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hawk Island Triathlon Rss Feed