General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports Event Management
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 54s
Overall Rank = 154/259
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/29
Pre-race routine:

Get as little sleep as possible. I went to bed at 12:30, went to sleep at 3am and woke up at 4am.

Had the usual oatmeal and morning mocha. The drive to Cleveland was about 45minutes. I was among the first to arrive.
Event warmup:

Not much. Just paced and watched Lake Erie and the sun come up over the skyline.
Swim
  • 24m 16s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This sprint swim was worse than all my olympic swims-even St.A's. My conclusions are that:
1 - I was overly confident. I usually only do Olys so I thought this would be easy.
2 - Due to the nature of the start, I couldn't defog my goggles per the usual routing of spitting, rubbing, wading in for the start while rinsing. There was too much distance between the boat deck and the water to dip my goggles into. Next time I know to bring my own water to rinse my goggles before the start. SO THE ENTIRE SWIM WAS WITH FOGGED-UP GOGGLES. Combined with the sun-rise and I was blind most of the time.
3 - The pack felt 'narrow'. I can't explain it but when I did get into a good rythm I would 'just' pass people but then do to limited sighting and looking around, I got swum over...There seemed to be no 'outside' as someone else was always on the 'outside'. Usually I'm the slowest so this is not a problem...but my pace is getting better so I'm runnning into people now.
What would you do differently?:

Chemical defogging for goggles or just a water bottle rinse.
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

Took my time. Didn't make a fool of myself getting into the new pedals by falling down. People were breathing down my back, it was a narrow bike chute and I didn't fall-got right up to speed.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Bike
  • 53m 49s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Excellant course. No cars. I did not do the full course I don't think, after I was done I figured out I took a wrong turn into transition before I should have. I did ask a volunteer though.
Transition 2
  • 10m
Comments:

Slow as usual
Run
  • 33m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not like the run course. Most of the road was under construction and they striped the asphalt off leaving a lot of uneven ridges to run on.
Post race
Warm down:

A lot of walking.

Last updated: 2006-07-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:16 | 880 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 215/259
Performance: Bad
Suit: BT Shorts and Tri Top
Course: Kind of a U. We got on a boat, jumped off then swam to the start while then treading water. I was last and everyone had to wait for me as when I put on my goggles, the straps came off and I had to re-do them. Arggggg. Sorry everyone!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:49 | 16 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Overall: 0/259
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Along the highway system which was closed. It was along the Cleveland waterfront. Made for the best riding anywhere.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 10:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 0/259
Performance:
Course: On part of a closed-off rode.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Distance
*Old race report from 2006 that I a just now finished.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed