General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Rochester MN Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-05 12:54 PM

User image

Rochester, MN
Subject: Hello from Rochester MN

I am new to the tri world and am finding it to be a fun and exciting adventure thus far.  I have been a yo-yo fitness freak for most of my life.  Mostly in the gym weight training, but at times biking to work 7 mi each way and running 3-4 times a week.  This was years ago.  I never liked the idea of long distances running or riding.  But a triathlon?  That sounds cool!  A viceral test of a human being to endure three all-out challenges to get to a finish line.  I had always had an attraction to the idea.  Then I heard my hometown was going to have their first annual Rochesterfest Triathlon this year (Rochester, MN).  And I learned their are sprint distances (something I can achieve in short order!)  Plus I am a sucker for anything "first annual", I don't know why...

So, February 2008 I put down the beer and got off the couch, signed back up at my favorite fitness center at 220 lbs. and went to work.  I started with weight training (to build a bigger furnace to burn off the fat - and cuz that's what I knew), slowly added some cardio, and then alot of things happened...  I got up to a slow 3 mile run and decided I should do the Winter Be Gone Duathlon (sprint) in April.  Plus it was a "first annual" event - I had to do it.  It was a great event, cold, but fun.  Temp at starting was in the 30's!  I learned two main things at this event, I needed a new bike, my 12 yr old Schwinn Mesa mountain bike wasn't going to cut it if I ever wanted to be competitive in the bike split.  And I needed to get serious about training.  The second run was a beatch!

So it's now 4 months since I got off the couch, I am 189 lbs (31 lbs lost) and am in a weekly tri prep class led by some experienced locals that have been quite helpful.  I am working on getting up to a non-stop 400 meter freestyle before the goal race at the end of June (4 weeks or less to go!)  I may have to throw in some easier strokes to rest up, but at least I am confident that I won't drown!  Just started swimming 6 weeks ago with no experience since the standard swimming lessons as a kid and occasional recreational trips to a pool or beach...  My running is getting faster and distances are getting easier, my bike AVS is 2 mph better than my duathlon pace, due to a new Trek tri bike, and the last 15 mins of my last ride I was at 18 AVS, which would be another 2 mph improvement if it carries over to my next ride (keep your fingers crossed).  Gotta love early stages when hard work really pays big! 

Well, enough rambling, if you read all this, thanks, and you should probably get back to work now!  LOL  I am really looking forward to continuing this new adventure...Sure beats the couch!  But the beer, that's another story, I imagine there will still be a couple of those consumed along the way.  Take care and feel free to say hi, especially if you're a local to MN or WI.  -ZeusMN

Edited by ZeusMN 2008-06-05 12:58 PM

2008-06-05 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1447549

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: ---

Congratulations on getting involved and training and wanting to be healthier!

Stop on in the Wisconsin or Minnesota forums for local information anytime.  The Ironman talk forum may have a number of answers for you if you search.

Welcome, and have fun!

2008-06-05 8:47 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Hello from Rochester MN

Hey, welcome to BT!!  I wouldn't worry too much about the beer... many of us drink many a beer.  But we burn it off on the next day's bike.  So it's all good.

Congratulations on your weight loss to date, and am sure we will be congratulating you in the future when you finish your first tri.  Good luck!!

P.S.  I wanted to name our kid "Zeus" but my wife wasn't having it. 

2008-06-05 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Southeastern Minnesota
Rochester!!! WOOHOO!!!

Congrats on winterbegone. Bill puts on some great races. if your interested in joining some other guys visit Trirochester.com. we are beginners to elites. Wednesday nights @ running room 6pm people show up for group runs. if your looking to do 2 miles to longer youll never not find someone to run with. See you at rochesterfest!

2008-06-05 9:58 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Welcome to BT (from a former Rochester resident)!
2008-06-05 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Yes Welcome, Welcome, jump on in the race is fine... Yes cograts on your new found weight loss and new found adventure in TRi's. Don't worry about the swim I had a thirty year break from swimming and I'm up to about 2 miles. It's all good!

2008-06-06 3:21 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island NY
Go for it!
2008-06-06 5:15 AM

User image

Ireland

Hello from Ireland - fair play to you and well done!

I'm at the getting off the couch stage and starting training, quite a bit of weight to lose and have zero fitness levels, its soooooo scary the thoughts of doing this but I just can't seem to let the idea go and I have 100 percent determination, and your story has given me a bit of a boost, apparently it can be done!! Also I've just started swimming having never been in a pool in my life.

Keep us updated, be great to see how you get on.

2008-06-09 4:02 PM

User image

Rochester, MN

Thanks all for the warm welcome and words of encouragement! 

Andy, I think we have met already, I am in the Triathlon prep class through the Running Room that Chris and Mark are doing...  I did join the TriRochester group a couple weeks ago as well... 

Rea, It's great that I could already have inspired someone else, especially all the way over there in Ireland!  Keep up the drive and determination and don't forget to have fun!

I am trying to use the training calendar on here and having pretty good luck, It's nice to see the weekly and monthly totals!  I am not doing quite as well with the Blogging but I hope to figure that out and keep in touch that way.  I see some people have some pretty nice Blogs going...  I did manage to post some Winter Be Gone Du pics in there at least! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Rochester MN Rss Feed