General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP - bike handle bars shake like crazy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-08 11:59 AM

User image

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: HELP - bike handle bars shake like crazy
Everyone,

So I did my second sprint triathlon yesterday (it went well by the way). The bike course was all paved, but in sections the road was terribly bumpy. Like shake you off your bike bumpy. I had to slow down a bit to navigate for fear of losing control. It was only really bad for a mile or two I'd guess, but perhaps half the course was more bumpy than I'm used to (I tend to ride on nice smooth ashpalt paved streets around town).

But anyways, I noticed something during the bumpy portions, my handle bars would shake like crazy. No problem when I had both hands on the hoods, but as soon as I went one handed to get a drink, the side that I let go of would start vibrating and shaking, to the point where it would make lots of rattling noises and I'd feel it in my other hand. It wasn't a chip seal road, but I'd imagine that I would have the same problem on chip seal.

So I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal. My bike is a brand new Specialized Allez Elite, bought from a good LBS in the area, so I assume it was assembled correctly. I've "inspected" the fork and head tube to look for anything loose and I don't see anything that seems like it would indicate a problem, but I'm no bike mechanic for sure. So it's left me a bit concerned. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike

2008-06-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: #1452340

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Subject: RE: HELP - bike handle bars shake like crazy
Easy test to see if the front end is not clamped down tight enough is to hold the front brake tight and try and lightly push the bike forward and backward. If it is loose you will feel the front end rocking back and forth, if it is tight it would feel as you expect, that you can't push it forward.

If it does rock back and forth loosen the two bolts behind the stem that clamp it to the steerer tube and tighten the bolt on top of the steerer tube (not TOO much though just a turn our two) retighten the bolts behind the stem and retest.
2008-06-08 12:47 PM

Veteran
CA
I think I've had this happen before on a mountain bike, and it was related to the bolt on top of the steerer tube. Take Robot's advice and see what it does for you. I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't do the trick.
2008-06-08 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1452345

User image

Albuquerque, NM
robot - 2008-06-08 11:04 AM

Easy test to see if the front end is not clamped down tight enough is to hold the front brake tight and try and lightly push the bike forward and backward. If it is loose you will feel the front end rocking back and forth, if it is tight it would feel as you expect, that you can't push it forward.

If it does rock back and forth loosen the two bolts behind the stem that clamp it to the steerer tube and tighten the bolt on top of the steerer tube (not TOO much though just a turn our two) retighten the bolts behind the stem and retest.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. Is there a torque spec for this bolt, or should I just tighten it a bit and see what happens?

Thanks,
Mike
2008-06-08 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1453018

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Spankster01 - 2008-06-08 7:30 PM

robot - 2008-06-08 11:04 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. Is there a torque spec for this bolt, or should I just tighten it a bit and see what happens?

Thanks,
Mike

I am sure there is, unfortunately I don't know it... I just go with trial and error you will know you have gone too far if you feel alot of resistance when turning back and forth after retightening.
2008-06-09 5:09 AM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I have a vibration in my handlebars, also. But being a total newbie AND a female (lol)...I have no clue what a steerer tube bolt is. Can somebody please post a picture of what this part on the bike looks like, so I can tighten the bolts down??? Thanks a bunch!

Linda

Edited by nscrbug 2008-06-09 5:11 AM

2008-06-09 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1453233

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

nscrbug - 2008-06-09 3:09 AM I have a vibration in my handlebars, also. But being a total newbie AND a female (lol)...I have no clue what a steerer tube bolt is. Can somebody please post a picture of what this part on the bike looks like, so I can tighten the bolts down??? Thanks a bunch! Linda

This should help. 

(steering bolt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
steering bolt.jpg (66KB - 20 downloads)
2008-06-09 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Dont forget to loosen the two bolts on the stem first. Tightening the top bolt will do nothing unless the others are loosened first. The bolt on the cap just draws the fork and the stem together so it doesn't take much pressure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP - bike handle bars shake like crazy Rss Feed