General Discussion Race Reports! » Worcester Fire Fighter Memorial 6K Road Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Worcester Fire Fighter Memorial 6K Road Race - Run3.5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Worcester, Massachusetts
United States
90+F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We had my 6 year-old niece over for a sleep-over last night, so it was a rough night. After getting elbowed and woken up by the dog *he hates thunderstorms* I just gave up and slept on the couch. It was also hot and humid. As for the pre-race routine, there wasn't one. We met my sister and BIL and other kids for breakfast. What sounded very good *THE LUMBERJACK* and tasted very good, was a BAD IDEA. More on that later!
Event warmup:

Not much, as I was very hot. We walked around the course and worked on staying cool and hydrated.
Run
  • 37m 4s
  • 3.7 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

So, as I said before, I had a HUGE breakfast. This came back to haunt me the entire way through the race. At mile 1, I felt pretty good, but at mile 1.4 or so, I was in trouble. My stomach physically hurt, like it does when I'm about to throw-up. I was burping and just trying to hold on. I started walking a bit and slowed myself down a bit. Once I hit mile 2, I started to feel a bit better, but was also getting hotter and hotter. I walked the water stops and ran the last 1 1/2 miles at a good pace.
What would you do differently?:

Use my superpowers to control the weater as opposed to make large quantities of food happen *damn* messed that one up again.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Mrs. to finish and cooled down. Then shower and nap

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Breakfast!! and heat!

Event comments:

Race was well run and was a firefighter memorial race, so despite the heat, they had all the hydrants open and it was nice!

Last updated: 2008-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:04 | 03.7 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was fairly flat, only a couple of small hills, but it was through the city and there was almost NO shade. It was VERY hot and miseralbe the entire way.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Worcester Fire Fighter Memorial 6K Road Race

2008-06-08 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1452774

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Worcester Fire Fighter Memorial 6K Road Race

Sorry about the stomach issue but big breakfast are always good. 

It was a hot and muggy day to race.  Well done. 

2008-06-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1452794

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: Worcester Fire Fighter Memorial 6K Road Race

I am impressed you managed not to hurl.  if half the table hadn't stolen bites of your corned beef hash and you'd eaten it all, you probably would have.  See how we help you out?

thanks for letting me in your car while soaking wet.      and way to gut out a reasonable race anyway.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Worcester Fire Fighter Memorial 6K Road Race Rss Feed