General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distan - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
90'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 703/730
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 31/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate my morning star farms meatless breakfast with egg whites. Inflated my tires and left to walk to the park.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam around for a while and then had to wait because the fog was so thick. We had about 100yd visibility and eventually it cleared to about 250yd visibility. Swim was shortened but by how much I'm not sure. My best guess based on my swim cadence is that it was 1200yd versus 1600.
Swim
  • 23m 7s
  • 1200 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well enough. It was my first race this year so all the banging made it hard to get going. I felt like I did well and was on pace. I swam the most indirect route possible. Right to Left in most excellent zig zags. I couldn't see the next buoy and the kayaks were wayyyyyyyyyyy inside the buoys making sighting off of them a bad idea. Still I had fun and that's key.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really at that point.
Transition 1
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

I came out of the water without ear plugs and I was so dizzy I could barely walk. It took a few minutes to get going but once my head started to clear things were good.

Nothing except wear ear plugs
Bike
  • 1h 56m 21s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 14.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride however this is where it went wrong. I started with 1 gel figuring I would get them on the course and I wasn't too interested in eating the sport beans. Additionally I had 2 bottles of Gatorade and a bottle of water. My plan was to grab three gels at mile 8 and roll with it. I grabbed a gel at mile 1 (which in hindsight was important). Took my first gel at mile 6 and climbed away. The devil on "devils hill" was a great sight as she broke up the painful climb. So at mile 8 I see the aid station and say can I have a gel and the kid says nope we don't have any. I think hmmmm that sucks but I have gatorade. At about mile 12 I lost my first gatorade bottle when I went to put it back in the holder. It was almost empty so I figured that it was cool. I must deviate from the standard race report here... A quick FU to the idiot who was screaming at me to go faster through the right hand turn that was blocked off with cones. Part 2- My view of pathetic a woman goes by at about mile 11 and I notice that this pompous soccer mom has her own SAG vehicle and they are video taping her in their (what else) Suburban while driving down Route 3a the wrong way in an active traffic lane while she gives her play by play and likely solves the nations economic woes. That would have been an excellent crash... anyway I apologize for the distraction. I'm drinking water at this point. At mile 20 there's a aid station but again no gels and I decide to skip the gatorade because I have a bottle. At mile 20.5 I see something white and shiny... oh it's that woman's butt who is urinating on the side of the road. Funny I reach back for my gatorade bottle and there's no bottle. F--- I now realize I have 1/3 bottle of water 7 miles to go and I am completely spent on calories. I pulled back and just rode in to T2 much too easy but I had no calories to burn at that point. There were a lot of great spectators who knew that all we needed was MORE COWBELL!

Have a nutrition plan and doesn't rely on the aid stations. I was pretty stupid about that.
Transition 2
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I grabbed my fuel belt and took 3 enduralytes and a gel washing them down with some gatorade. I hit the porta potty and started my run. My legs were burnt so I decided I would walk most of the way out and if I had anything left I'd run back. I dropped a bottle out of my fuel belt at the point I was going for the sunblock and lost track of things... yep bad idea. I also elected to skip my skins. This was also a bad idea.

Wear my skins, put on sunblock.
Run
  • 1h 42m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 16m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked most of the way as I was about 3100+ calories in the hole and my sodium was gone. Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition... lesson learned.

se above
Post race
Warm down:

Towel and water bottle along with finisher medal. Walked back to transition and packed up. Went to the massage tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and no nutrition plan.

Event comments:

I finished and that was my goal so I hit it. Additionally I wasn't DFL which is nice. Living in NH and commuting 3 hours a day has made training difficult. I just need to make it happen. I had a blast but I can do better.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:07 | 1200 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 586/730
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Counter Clockwise Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:56:21 | 27.34 miles | 14.10 mile/hr
Overall: 672/730
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: fairly hilly with around 1500' of climbing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:42:19 | 06.21 miles | 16m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 715/730
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distan

2008-06-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1452820

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distan

Hey well done Chris, especially with the back luck with water bottles.  I seemed to have the same problem.  After the bottle exchange I lost a 1/2 full one.  I swear there are bottle magnets on the ground. 

Way to tough up on the run! 

2008-06-09 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Nice work!  Your report is funny!  I feel your pain re/ the water bottle - I've been there - it must have just jumped out of its cage when I wasn't looking!  Good luck with training towards the next race!
2008-06-09 8:45 AM

Expert

Dude i would have been right there with ya...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distan Rss Feed