Texas 4000
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 04m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had some cereal and a protein bar for breakfast, gathered my gear and did a mechanical check.
Event warmup:

Rode 4 miles to the ride start for check-in
Bike
  • 5h 04m 26s
  • 72.42 miles
  • 14.27 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 25 miles were pretty nice and easy with the wind to our backs. After the 2nd stop, we turned west and had a lot of hills with a crosswind - this was a very tough leg for me. I had a very hard time getting my legs back under me after the rest and the hills were not long or terribly steep, but they were unrelenting. After we turned north again, things flattened out some more and the ride was easier. The last couple of miles had some short steep hills into the wind that were a bit tough.
What would you do differently?:

I need to keep training on the hills and continue to lose weight. I'm getting better, but these rides are still challenging!
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and too much weight!

Event comments:

My compliments to the organizers on the rest stops. We had fabulous supplies - fruit smoothies, panera bagels, plenty of fruit, good cold water and plenty of ice, gatorade, pretzels, cookies, etc. The volunteers were so cheerful and helpful, and even had a great time with music and dancing and generally having a good time. There was shaded seating at every stop - this was top notch!

The food at the end was great - Smokey Mo's barbecue. It was was well organized - no long lines for food and plenty of friendly volunteers. There was great shaded seating, a nice rotunda with great atmosphere for relaxing, and the live music was very nice. All around, this was a great experience!

Last updated: 2008-05-22 12:00 AM
Biking
05:04:26 | 72.42 miles | 14.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: North through Liberty Hill and Joppa, then west to Burnet, north and then east into Lampasas and then west again to the Pillar Bluff Winery
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right