Bismarck Triathlon
68?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 4s
Overall Rank = 10/51
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Out of bed at 7:00am. Had a bowl of yogurt and granola. 8:00am- piled into the van a hit McDonald's on the way out of town. got to the race site about 10:30 and set-up transition. 11:00 set-up transition again as they moved where we needed to go in and out. 11:30 eat some more yogurt and granola and started sipping on a Gatorade which I finished about 12:15, 15 minutes prior to start of race.
Event warmup:

Rode a three mile out and back, and set the gearing for T1.
Swam out to first buoy to get used to the water and raise the heart rate a bit.
Swim
  • 10m 56s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

At the start I had fun talking to MDGunner, but while we were talking some little guy moved in front of me. I didn't like having him there but figured I would just let him go. This turned out to be a big mistake as he was out of gas by the first buoy and had me boxed in. I was trying to get around him and kept running into MDGunner, who by the way is a hard person to move in the water :). I did catch one of MD's elbows to the nose and goggles, but the goggles took the brunt of the blow, didn't affect my race. I did stop though and let him pass then shot to the outside and out of the traffic jam. I had open swimming with an occasional draft to pick up. I was surprised how I was moving from one pack to another.
What would you do differently?:

I need to stop being so passive aggressive. I know I am a decent swimmer, but don't want to force my way to the front. I figure that person might be better , so I don't have the right to tell them to move, if they aren't better I will just pass them in the water. This mentality hurt me today as I got stuck in a bunch and lost some time on the leaders. Had to play some catch-up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Transition was good. The wetsuit didn't seem to come off as smoothly as at ALbert Lea. OVerall, can't complain about this time, especially considering my spot was on the far end of the transition from the swim exit.

Nothing
Bike
  • 35m 21s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Felt good the whole time. I felt as though I had a bit more, but didn't want to blow up the run. Had fun racing with Mhuhn. Was told later that I went out on the bike in 9th and came back in 3rd, so my bike is strong, not that I don't want it to be better.

Just need to work on maintaining the speed for more distance. Did notice slowing a bit more on some of the hills (they weren't that big either), so need to get out on the hills for training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Best transition I've ever had. My spot was really close which helped, but everything else also went really smooth.

nothing
Run
  • 27m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Again my weakness, but getting better. Started the run in 3rd overall and finished 10th. Obviously I need to continue working in this area.

Need to continue working on my run. Consistency in my weekly runs of one speed, one easy, and one long/hilly course.
Post race
Warm down:

Milled around finish-line and transition area. Talked to other BTers who I felt also did very well today. Really enjoyed being able to meet and talk with all of them. I will however not allow Mhuhn to beat me at the next one :). Great Job BT!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to have met you all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run again.

Event comments:

I liked this race and plan to return next year. Great beginner race, as there appeared to be a large number of tri-virgins there today.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:56 | 547 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 13/51
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back. Marked well.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:21 | 12.43 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 5/51
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:24 | 03.11 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 30/51
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Subject: Bismarck Triathlon

2008-06-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1452948

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: RE: Bismarck Triathlon
Great job Mike!! You've been wanting that podium finish and you did that!! I'm glad to see you have a good race day.  That's one heck of a T2!! Next year I hope you would do the Olympic
2008-06-09 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1453042

Fargo, ND

Allright brotha ... this is two events in a row we have finished under 40 seconds from each other.  Now you have given me some good motivation for the Oly in DL

Good to meet you and the other ND fools.  We need to figure out how to absorb some of the foot speed off of SneakySpeed - that boy is fast.

2008-06-09 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1452948

User image

Mike, Nice Job! Good meeting you at the race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bismarck Triathlon Rss Feed