General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 51s
Overall Rank = 223/718
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/80
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 for a quick shower and meal. Ate some cold, maple risotto, a banana, and some coffee. Starbucks Double Shot around 6:30, and a gel shot around 7am. The start was delayed an hour due to fog, so had half a banana a few minutes before the swim.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit while waiting for the fog to lift. No time for a run, though. Not sure how far I swam total.
Swim
  • 18m 3s
  • 960 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Course was shortened due to fog. I drafted okay early on, but found myself swimming alone, and a bit inside the line, mid-way through the race. The calm water was nice, but no feet to draft on. I concentrated on maintaining good form, which paid off with a bit more speed than last year.
What would you do differently?:

I should start swimming with a Masters group, I think. My swim is lagging a bit. I should also seek out more open water experiences.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Forgot where in my row my bike was racked, and it took a while for my head to clear enough to find it. Then I felt really dizzy and nearly fell over! Not sure where that came from, but perhaps it's worth trying to do some swim/bike bricks to work out that kink.

Just move faster.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 55s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills on this course remind me why I don't consider myself a climber. No "helium in my wheels" today. But I was able to maintain a reasonable cadence up most of the hills and not blow myself up. Descending was faster this year, and the emphasis on longer rides left me feeling fresher at the end of the course. 1mph faster than last year, so I'll take it!

No substitute for climbing hills, so I just need some more saddle time on the inclines. Maybe some group rides would help me, and a bit more structure to my cycling training. On reflection, I'm not sure I have any structure to that portion of my training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Dismounted while moving, again, which is a major success for me and my poor balance. Ran in and racked the bike reasonably quickly, but forgot to put Body Glide on my feet. Major no-no, since I ran without socks.

I need to practice the transition more, so this stuff happens more smoothly. I could easily shave half a minute here.
Run
  • 45m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Shaved a full minute off my pace from last year! Concentrating on long, easy miles this spring is really paying off. I haven't done much in the way of intervals yet, and probably won't until closer to Timberman. My shins really hurt coming off the bike, and the right shin muscle totally locked up for the first 3 miles. Downhills felt really clumsy, which may be related to the shin problem.

Strength train my calf and shin muscles.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 5-10 minutes, then soaked in the (chilly!) lake for 10 minutes. Probably should have tried to strecth, but the mosquitos weren't making that easy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to get stronger on the bike, especially my climbing. Focus on taking in fluids regularly on the bike and run. Quicker T1.

Event comments:

I love the Mooseman! Keith Jordan runs an amazing race, and the location is spectacular. This is one I will keep on my calendar.

Last updated: 2008-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:03 | 960 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 231/718
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU - C:1 (full)
Course: Rectangular, left turns only, fresh-water
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:28:55 | 27.34 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Overall: 318/718
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Short, steep hills early on, changing to rolling course after 7 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:53 | 06.21 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 156/718
Performance: Good
Maintained approximately 168 bpm most of the course, up to 180 on the hills.
Course: Flat to rolling, out-and back course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 11:53 AM

New user

Andover, MA
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2008-06-09 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1454229

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance
Great job!  Nice to improve over last year's time!  See you at Timberman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed