View Member's Race Log
Herald, California
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = women 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race was on Sunday. I had to work the a.m. shift Saturday, so the game plan was to work, drive home and feed the dogs, throw my stuff in the car, make the 2 hour trip to Sacramento, check into the hotel and then have a nice dinner.

Unfortunately... first I woke up with my period. That may be TMI, but the women will understand what this means. To the guys: it means I won't be my at my best the next day. THEN I come home to find out that one of the dogs has had a bout of diarrhea on the living room carpet. So I get out the steam cleaner and spend about 30 minutes on the carpet before I walk and then feed them. Of course I have to wait for a while after feeding them before I leave to make sure they're OK and the SO doesn't walk in to more diarrhea later. I left for Sac after 6pm. Dinner was Taco Bell on the road.
Event warmup:

The hotel was fine and only 5 minutes from the park. Registration was easy and I got a good spot in transition. I'd done this race 2 years ago. That time it was about 100 degrees and I'd gotten dehydrated, so this time I brought extra water and sports drinks.

Warm up consists of 5 trips to the porta potty.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

For some reason, I couldn't get comfortable with my breathing. Usually I bilateral breathe. This time it didn't work. So I settled into just breathing every 2 strokes. I wasn't happy, but it worked. I think I was 3rd to the last out of the water, but I'm in the last wave, so it didn't bother me much.
What would you do differently?:

Not get my period the night before???
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This went fine. Most of the bikes were gone when I got there. My wetsuit came off easily. I took a few extra seconds to dry my feet, put on socks, shoes, do rag and helmet and off I went.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Right after you get out of transition there are 3 speed bumps. My aero bottle ejected on the first one. Luckily a small boy was there watching the race with his family. He ran up and grabbed it for me. As there was no easy way to put it back on, I asked him to hold it for me until the end of the race. He said he would, so I kept riding.

I had put a bottle of sports drink and one of water on the bike along with the aero bottle. I had debated whether or not to bring the extra water bottle. At this point, I was very glad I did.

The road is a nice rolling out and back. Luckily, there was no wind and it wasn't too hot yet. My breathing still wasn't up to par, though. So I couldn't push myself. I did have a nice, steady ride that I was generally happy with.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Some idiot racked their bike right in my spot. I resisted the urge to pitch the bike into the middle of the transition area and instead moved it only as much as was necessary to rack mine.

I got off my bike stuff, put on my running shoes, grabbed my visor, fuel belt and race belt and shuffled out to the run.

I'm just happy I didn't pitch that doofus' bike.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I've learned that I can't coordinate drinking from a paper cup while I run, so I wear a 4 bottle Amphipod belt with sports drink in 2 and water in 2. There are water stations about every mile on this race, which were well stocked even at the late time that I came through.

I was still feeling marginal. So I decided to chuck Plan A: "do better than last time" for Plan B: "run as much as I can and then walk". I just jogged as I could and was surprised that I did pass a number of people. I kept sipping at my fluids and at each water station I'd grab a cup and pour it over my head. It wasn't as hot as 2 years ago, but it was still much hotter than I'm used to. The run starts out on fire roads and then hits a stretch of the paved bike route. The turn around on the road is marked "mile 3". Once I got there and was still running I knew I could run the whole thing.

When you come off of the pavement you go onto some very well marked trails. I find that the most fun part of the run. You run along the edge of the reservoir and over some boardwalks before you get back onto the original fire road at about mile 5 (which is marked). There's a long, gradual uphill to just before the grass at the finish. The finish is marked by an arch with an announcer calling out your name and number and volunteers grab you and hand you cold water. I think I finished in about 3 hours overall.

Nothing. My hydration and cooling plan worked just right.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and drank some water and my recovery drink. Then I walked over to the family that had my aero bottle and chatted with them for a while. I wandered back and found the *unheated* showers, cleaned up, and started the 2+ hour drive home.

Hopefully the times will be up in a few days.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor timing by my body...

Event comments:

TBF puts on a nice race. They do this series every year, so they have it down cold. The volunteers are very friendly and helpful. The RD knows it's going to be hot, so there's enough water on the run and at the end.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: well marked triangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back with rolling hills
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Mostly on fire roads and packed trails with a small section on paved road. There's no shade anywhere.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 6:37 PM

Regular
NorCal, near Lake Tahoe, Ca
Subject: Tri For Real

2008-06-10 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1455384

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Tri For Real
Hi Syndi.  Sounds like a good race despite some irritation before and during the race.  Great job finishing strong with a solid run!  Keep up the great work.
2008-06-10 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Nice job, Syndi! If the "doofus" bike was in your rack isn't there a "finders-keepers" rule? ;-)

Congrats!
2008-06-10 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Great job!!! Sounds like you made some good decisions about hydration that really paid off. 
2008-06-10 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas

Hey Syndi - good race - Yes, can totally relate to the aggravation of the timing on that one!!  I've been hoping hoping that I'll be on the up weeks for my Tri's - one is questionable - and who knows what the stress will do!

It's tough when you have your plan and it falls through, but it looks like you just went with it and still had a good race.  Nice work in just pushing through and running the whole run, even after all that! 

2008-06-12 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Great job! I'm glad your hydration plans worked out. Sounds like a good race!

2010-06-08 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Hey, good job out there.  Sucks that Auntie Flow made her visit day before the race!  It did feel super hot compared to last year, but 90F?  Wow. 

Those speed bumps are kind of ridiculous, don'tcha think?  We're in a race, for crying out loud! 

And there are showers???  Might have made my 2.5 hour drive home a little bit nicer.  I will know for next time! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri For Real Rss Feed