Mach Tenn Running Club
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 26s
Overall Rank = 301/352
Age Group = Under 40 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

I committed the ultimate sin. I overslept on race day. I actually woke up an hour before I was scheduled to get up. I decided to try to sleep for the next hour. For some reason I didn't hear my alarm clock and I woke up 45 minutes late. Fortunately I had everything packed in the car and my clothes laid out. I jumped in the shower, quickly got ready and I hit the road. I arrived at the race site only 10 minutes later than I had orginally planned. I didn't let the oversleeping ruin my mood. The only difference it made was that I had to eat a light breakfast on the road instead of the meal I had planned on having. I still had plenty of time to get my race numbers marked, transition set up, and get warmed up.
Event warmup:

I did some light stretching then swam 50 yards.
Swim
  • 29m 49s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Do I start with the positive or the negative? OK, let me start with the positive....I am alive today and able to write this race report. I absolutely knew going into this race that I am not a good (or even average) long distance swimmer. I have struggled from day 1 of training and I have yet to feel comfortable pacing myself for long distances.

Another positive is that I felt great for the first 150 yards. I felt as if I was going at a good pace, my stroke felt good, and my breathing felt sufficient. 150 into the swim I hit that wall. I didn't panic, I turned over on my back and tried to catch my breath. There were too many people trying to swim and they were running over me. I decided the best thing to do was grab hold of one of the kayaks and catch my breath. It took me a minute or so to catch my breath, then I moved on.

Went I approached the 250 yard mark I realized how much longer I had to swim. To be honest, negative thoughts entered my mind. I caught myself saying there is no way I will complete this swim. Immediately I pushed those negative thoughts out of my mind. My whole goal coming into this race was to "survive the swim". I was very realistic about my skill level. I just wanted to survive the swim and then see what energy I had left for the bike and run.

I started using any and every stroke know to man. I think I may have invented a few new stroke too. I did eventually finish the swim, but I had the 4th slowest time of the day. My legs were already tired and I was starting to wonder how much I would have left in the tank for the bike and run.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep swim training. I know I will get better.

I rank my swim "below average" instead of "bad" just because I DID complete the swim. I had my doubts pre-race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I walked up the hill to the transition area. I could have been a little faster in transition, but I wanted to make sure to get myself mentally prepared for the bike. The swim took a lot out of me and re-grouping was in my best interest. It is a strategy that I feel paid off in the long run.

Not much.
Bike
  • 58m 20s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into the race I knew the bike is where I would make up some time. My legs were drained from not being efficient on the swim, but I decided to HTFU and push myself on the bike. There was only one person who passed me. He was wearing #4 (I was wearing #248). I have no idea how he ended up behind me. Besides this one guy, no one else passed me. I figure I passed 30-35 people on the bike leg. I seemed to gain most of my ground going up the hills.

Get better at swimming. The swim took a lot of energy out of me. I feel my bike leg would have been stronger if I didn't use as much energy on the swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

I was very pleased with T2.

Not much. I did forget my race belt and visor for a split second. I had to back track a couple of steps to get these items. It may have cost me 3 or 4 seconds, but nothing major.
Run
  • 49m 42s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was ok. I had to walk a lot more than I planned. A combination of the heat, the hills, and the amount of energy I spent earlier in the race slowed me down. By the time I started the run my goal was to just finish. I knew my goal of finishing under 2 hours was gone at this point.

I need to run train more. Also, need to swim more efficiently so I have more energy for later in the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate pizza and drank beer!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I knew my entire performance in the race would be determined on how badly I struggled with the swim. I was hoping to do better on the swim, but I wa also realistic.

I will continue to swim train. If I can get my swim up to "average" I will be able to better dertermine what I need to work on in the bike and run.

Event comments:

The race was very well organized. Everyone seemed to have a good time. I would not consider this a "beginner's" race, but the difficulty level is not too tough. The hills do add a challenge to the bike and run.

Last updated: 2008-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:49 | 1056 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 348/352
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: The course was an open water swim in Wood's Reservior. The lay-out was triangular in shape and we started in an individual start with a person going in the water about every 3 seconds.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:20 | 16 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 0/352
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:42 | 04 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 0/352
Performance: Below average
Course: Very hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-10 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: Mach Tenn Triathlon

2008-06-10 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1456757

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Mach Tenn Triathlon
Great job out there!! Just keep it up and it will all come together!!! SO what else are you racing this year?
2008-06-10 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I'm doing the McMinnville Tri, Cedars of Lebanon Tri, Manchester Star Tri, and Music City Tri (if I can get my swimming up to par), plus the Middle Half (Murfreesboro Half Marathon).

What about you?

2008-06-10 3:22 PM

Veteran
Georga
Great Job J.T. I am glad to see you didn't quit, "AA is for quiters" and this isn't AA this is triathlon and you did it! Even though you don't like your swim time that is still not a bad pace. I read somewhere that a triathlon is never won during the swim leg, so keep up the good work.
Andrew
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mach Tenn Triathlon Rss Feed