General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike accidents and near misses Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-11 9:45 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: Bike accidents and near misses

With all the reports recently of accidents and near misses and assaults, I wanted to pass on a form that I found when trying to figure out what we can do.

It is the 'improper operation' form:

Newton Police

they ask on this if you did a police report and you must show if they have a hearing.  What if like 20 of us filled these out each time someone had an incident?  wouldn't the RMV HAVE to do something??? 

2008-06-12 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1461409

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Bike accidents and near misses

Thanks Cat.  The form is good for the state of MA, right?  Not just Newton.

Guess we should all carry a small pen/piece of paper so that we can write down license pate numbers etc when something happened. 

2008-06-12 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1461733

User image

Champion
New York, NY

yup the form is statewide, just found it conveniently on the newton website.

I use my phone to grab license plates...mine is a treo, but even a regular cell send a text message, or save a text message.... 

2008-06-12 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA

An assault is one thing, and should be reported to the police and prosecuted. Accidents and near misses, I'm not sure. I know that bikes are supposed to be treated as cars, but I know that when I ride I don't stay in a lane, I don't come to complete stops at stop signs unless I have to, I sometimes will go thru reds light if there aren't any cars, I weave thru traffic (called lane splitting, and it's illegal in MA on a motorcycle, so I'm assuming it's illegal on a bicycle) etc. Basically I think if someone wanted to they could write me up more than I could write up the cars.

There are people who are courteous to cyclists and there are people who aren't. Those people aren't going to become more courteous because a bunch of cyclists filed a complaint against them. It's probably only going to make them mad and cause them to be LESS courteous, or worse.

Maybe I get this attitude from riding motorcycles, but YOU are the one that is responsible for YOUR safety. You can't assume that a driver will even SEE you, let alone pass you with plenty of room, allow you to go at a light, etc.

Or maybe I'm missing your point here. It's happened before. 

2008-06-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1461789

User image

Champion
New York, NY

See I do not do what you do....

So I am talking about cars that get right next to/ behind you and honk repeatedly (harassment) - cars that make turns cutting us off without time to stop (several of those recently resulting in rib fractures....), cars that force bikes off the road....

I am so amazed, and of course I am responsible for my safety, and I ride defensively, but I am dumbstruck almost every ride, and want to fight back and make it safer for all of us out there. 

2008-06-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1461807

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
TriToy - 2008-06-12 9:06 AM

So I am talking about cars that get right next to/ behind you and honk repeatedly (harassment) - cars that make turns cutting us off without time to stop (several of those recently resulting in rib fractures....), cars that force bikes off the road....

These aren't examples of accidents, these are outright assault and assault with a deadly weapon. In these cases I'm filing charges, not an incident report. Or tracking them down myself. Luckily I haven't been forced off the road yet and the only time I was cut off was from a dead stop.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. 

2008-06-12 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
MA
TriToy - 2008-06-11 10:45 PM

What if like 20 of us filled these out each time someone had an incident? wouldn't the RMV HAVE to do something???

Can't do that unless we were all there and witnessed the incident. It says right in it improper operation of the vehicle you observed. Those last two words are very important.
2008-06-12 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
But twenty of us can get pitchforks and shovels and find Chriselam's future offender.  I call that I get to bring my ice chopper...
2008-06-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1461789

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
chriselam - 2008-06-12 7:52 AM

An assault is one thing, and should be reported to the police and prosecuted. Accidents and near misses, I'm not sure. I know that bikes are supposed to be treated as cars, but I know that when I ride I don't stay in a lane, I don't come to complete stops at stop signs unless I have to, I sometimes will go thru reds light if there aren't any cars, I weave thru traffic (called lane splitting, and it's illegal in MA on a motorcycle, so I'm assuming it's illegal on a bicycle) etc. Basically I think if someone wanted to they could write me up more than I could write up the cars.

There are people who are courteous to cyclists and there are people who aren't. Those people aren't going to become more courteous because a bunch of cyclists filed a complaint against them. It's probably only going to make them mad and cause them to be LESS courteous, or worse.

Maybe I get this attitude from riding motorcycles, but YOU are the one that is responsible for YOUR safety. You can't assume that a driver will even SEE you, let alone pass you with plenty of room, allow you to go at a light, etc.

Or maybe I'm missing your point here. It's happened before. 

Chris,

Your actions while riding the bike are the reason so many motorists dislike us.

1. Running stop signs
2. Running red lights
3. Weaving in and out of traffic

For everyones safety, please STOP doing the above mentioned things.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike accidents and near misses Rss Feed