General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silver Springs or Moss Park? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-17 3:33 PM

User image

The Irish Scrapper
Palm Harbor, FL
Subject: Silver Springs or Moss Park?

I have to plan an Oly Duathlon for late August/early September.  My best choices are either one in Silver Springs or one in Moss Park.  I originally planned to do Moss Park in July, but I need more time to train.  Travel wise, they are about the same distance from my home. 

I am looking for a course that is flat and shady.  I know Moss Park has both, but does anyone know anything about Silver Springs?  The Ocala area can be hilly!  If both courses are comparable, then I can choose by the best date. 

Can anyone opine?!?!?!? 

2008-06-24 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1472564

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Silver Springs or Moss Park?
I had no idea there was a tri at Silver Springs until I read your post - now I'm signed up for the one in August! It seems like most of the hills are on the west side of town by the horse farms, but looking at the map, there may be a huge bridge on the bike course - the one on 40 that goes over the river. The run looks pretty shady - mostly through the Silver Springs park wit a little bit through a very sunny parking lot and on a road. I'm not familiar with Moss Park, so I can't compare the two areas.

Edited by shhtri 2008-06-24 8:11 AM
2008-06-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1485674

User image

The Irish Scrapper
Palm Harbor, FL
Hey cool!  Are you from that area?  Glad you're signed up.  I still haven't decided yet...I don't know what to dooooooo!!!
2008-06-24 8:33 AM
in reply to: #1485697

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah, I grew up in Ocala and used to swim in that river as a kid. (Brrrr!) It's nice to have a race in that area that may be kind of shady - I did a HIM in Orlando and it was hot and sunny and miserable!

Where is the Moss Park race?

2008-06-24 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Moss Park is in the south side of Orlando.  Near the airport off the Greenway and Narcoosee road.
2008-07-03 3:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I'm planning on doing the Moss Park tri in 3 weeks, but know nothing of the course, except it being shaded and a lake swim.  I'll let you know how it was when I finish.

2008-07-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1507245

User image

The Irish Scrapper
Palm Harbor, FL
Great!  Yes, please let me know what you think of the course.  My only concerns are the bike and run since I'm doing the Duathlon.  Good luck!
2008-07-08 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

i live just a couple miles from Silver Springs and i'm all but sure i'm gonna do the August race.   This must be a new event as i've never heard of them before.

As far as the bike route, i thought at first it wouldn't cross the Oklawaha bridge.....but i'm not for sure.   I just can't imagine they would have riders make that cross.   No way most novice riders (including myself) could make it across or go down at the speeds you would gain coming off it.

For the run, i've ran a charity 5k in the park a few times and i'm sure its the same route.   If so, flat and shady.

I'm gonna email the hosts of the race and ask about the biking.

I'll post back when i find out for sure.

2008-07-08 8:33 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

ok, for anyone interested....i got an email from the race host and he explained the biking route.

the route will not take you over the bridge.   it's a 10k out and back.  i know the route and can say it's all relativly flat and will be a good ride.

the swim start is near the glass bottom boat attraction and the run is inside the park (as i mentioned in my earlier post).

i'm definitely doing the August race.

2008-07-10 10:01 AM

User image

The Irish Scrapper
Palm Harbor, FL
Great information, thank you!  That will help me decide which race to do, especially if I want to push it back to September.
2008-07-10 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

I did Moss Park a couple years ago.  It was a nice course.  The swim is in a lake, and it is really murky, no visability at all, and cold.  The bike is kinda technical, lots of twists and turns, outside the park through some nice residential neighborhoods.  There were home owners actually sitting in lawn chairs cheering as you went by, that was kinda' cool.  The course was well marked and well secured with local law enforcement when i did it.  The run was inside of the park and most of the run is under canopied trees on hard packed gravel.

I enjoyed it, of course it was also my first race ever.

2008-07-11 10:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I'm signed up for the Oly next weekend, it's my first of that distance, second overall.  Hope I'm ready. 
2008-07-24 1:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I took part in the Moss Park Oly this past weekend.  The swim was nice although the water was sweet tea brown so visiblity is very low.  The temperature was nice, don't know the temp, but it wasn't too hot and not to cold, perfect.  It was a two loop swim,  on the way out, it was directly east, so sighting the bouy was directly in the sun.  There is a little bit of a run from the lake to transition that is through some woods and down a clay road, not bad to run on at all.  The ride was nice and flat on rural roads though some neighborhoods.   There were people and police at every corner directing participants and  traffic.  The ride was also a 2 loop ride, so unfortunately at the end of the second loop, the people were confused who were directing you back into the park.  The run is through the park on clay roads, it's nicely shaded and they had 2 water stations set up with gatorade or water.  The run also was 2 loops around the park.  Overall, the tri was well managed and had a good group of volunteers.  I had fun and would do it again.  It was a small triathlon with few participants, and there weren't a lot of people watching, but everyone that was there, was cheering everyone on.  Happy feeling everywhere!!!
2008-07-30 12:33 PM

User image

New user

I did the Silver Springs tri this past weekend and it was very nice. The event was slightly unorganized as this was the first race at the park and they were only approved to do the race 2 weeks ago. The next 2 events should be much better.

The swim portion was spectacular! The spring pumps out 1 million gallons an hour and we swam downstream! I've never felt so fast in the water. The 750 meters took the leader under 5 minutes. I normally swim a 1:35/100m pace and completed this swim under 8 minutes. The water was crystal clear, you could see 50 m in front of you under water. Sea turtles and fish were swimming under you, luckily no gators in sight!

The bike was out and back on smooth and slightly hilly roads.

The run was 2 laps around the park. The giraffes, bears and monkeys along the route made for a quick run. The run could have used better marking but will be fixed by the next race.

There were only 36 people in the tri portion of the race (they also ran a duathlon simultaneously).

See you at the next race.
2008-07-30 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

I actually went and watched this and thought it was highly unorganized.   I was standing by the bike transition where they were marking down athletes coming in for their bikes...and the guy marking times had to get a pen from a spectator because his ran out of ink in the middle of marking down times.

Also, the runner leading the first leg of the Dual took an extra lap around the course because there was noone out there to tell him where to go.   He was highly pissed when he made it to the bike transition and they told him what had happened.

I was considering doing the August race, but i've changed my mind.   I realize it was the first, but man they seemed lost when i was watching them scramble during the race.    They needed more help to run the event than they had.

The swim did look fun, but way too easy.   You could probably lay on your back and float all the way down the river in 20 minutes.

I'll probably go out and watch the September race to see if they worked the kinks out, but i'm doing Daytona the week they are doing race #2 in the series.

2008-07-30 7:14 PM

User image

New user

I did see that duathlon guy after the race and he wasn't too pleased. Since I'm never in the lead, it's usually not an issue for me. The swim was definitely not 750m, probably more like 500m, but very easy. It was nice to not travel so far for a race so I'll keep supporting it. Great tri for a beginner.

2008-08-14 3:15 PM

User image

If anyone does the race this weekend in Silver Springs, let me know, I'm not sure if I should sign up for the early september one, but I want to get the new bike to a race .....

2008-08-18 10:48 PM

User image

I still want to hear about the silver springs this past weekend, give me some comments, I don't know if I should do it !!!!

Thanks

2008-08-19 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
I did a race report, but here's the quick summary: good race, small, no frills, really neat swim, okay bike, neat but twisty run. I'm thinking about doing the September race but might do one of our local century rides instead.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silver Springs or Moss Park? Rss Feed