American Heart Association
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 13/143
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 545 for an 800 race start. Showered, ate breakfast, and psyched myself up until 645. Did a walk/jog over to the race, and got there by 715. Mostly stretched and walked around until the start, though I did do a 5 minute jog at 735.
Run
  • 41m 26s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 08s  min/km
Comments:

1st 5K: 19:49 (6:22 pace)
2nd 5K: 21:37 (6:57 pace)

I'd been injured this spring, and unable to run for 6 weeks straight due to an IT-Band problem. I've been running again for about a month, but have only been able to increase mileage very slowly. I knew I was no where near the shape I was in before I got injured going into the race, but I wanted to do it anyway to get a baseline, and see where I'm at.

Since I wasn't really sure what kind of shape I was in I guessed and tried to shoot for 40 minutes. I didn't know anything about the course going in, so I decided to aim for a steady pace, with even splits.

The way out felt good until about mile 2.5, when the wheels started coming off. I hit 2 miles in 12:27 and felt fabulous, just guess I didn't have the endurance to do that while going uphill. I slowly faded, and came into the 5K mark (at the top of the hill) at 19:49. I hadn't done much speed training prior to the race, and had just been trying to get my endurance up. So, the fast pace, going uphill, just took it out of my legs.

On the way back, I started slowing down (even more) significantly, moving from about to about a 7:00 pace, and was getting passed left and right. I kind of just hung on as well as I could, and tried to finish strong. Ended up at a 6:40 average pace.

I'm sure if I had known some things (like the course), I could have shaved some time off, but mostly I'm just not where I was early this spring. I'm happy to have a baseline to work with, and to get ready for my first tri in 2 weeks. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this race, despite the time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I didn't know anything about the course or my fitness level, so I guessed the best I could and did well enough considering.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk/jog home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury.

Last updated: 2008-06-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:26 | 10 kms | 04m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 13/143
Overall: 143/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Slight, but steady, uphill on the way out. Slight, but steady, downhill on the way back. Steep enough that you felt it on the way up, but shallow enough that it didn't feel like you were actually on a downhill on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?