Deland YMCA
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 38s
Overall Rank = 41/63
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:20am due to neighbors sprinkler. Tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. Got up at 4am and ate a bagel with peanut butter on it and drank some water. Got ready to go and drove to the race site which was 45 minutes away.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site and no one was there yet! I checked my paperwork and I definitely had the right day. About 20 minutes later some of the organizers started to show up. I asked them if I could help and they put me to work tying balloons which calmed my nerves a bit. I still wasn't sure if I should be racing due to fever blistes and some recent fatigue but I figured what the heck?
Swim
  • 07m 25s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were supposed to swim two laps in each lane. I did flip turns a few times and then on the third flip turn someone came under my lane rope and I swam into him. I got a little disoriented but kept going. On lap 10, there was a guy on my heels so I let him pass me which cost me about 10 seconds. When I came out of the water, I started to run and heard "no running or penalty" so I walked through the pool area and through the gym which was about 300 yards. I didn't run again until I saw the grassy area leading into the transition area about another 200 yards away. All of this time out of the pool counted toward our swim time b/c the timer was set up at the beginnining of the transition area which was a bit of a bummer.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure I would have done anything differently under the circumstances. I think I would have logged a better swim time if I didn't have the fever blisters.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I did everything as planned and got my bike off the rack quickly. After exiting the transition area, we had to run our bike across a large grassy field about 300 yards wide out to the roadway. Once there, we were allowed to jump on our bikes and go.

Nothing except pedal faster (if I could)!
Bike
  • 47m 40s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 15.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a tough time getting my shoes into my straps. There was a nasty crosswind that slowed me down considerably. We were told to ride on the shoulder of the highway but it was bumpy asphalt with some debris. We rode past farms with cows and goats which was pretty cool. I didn't pass anyone on the bike until the last mile and then I passed four people. I was passed by several men averaging 20+mph.

Bike more in windy conditions. Work on power on bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Had to dismount our bike on the road before entering the large grassy field where we had to run our bikes into transition. I was only supposed to take off my helmet and rack my bike but the bike next to mine was racked too close and it fell off so I had to pick it up and re-rack theirs and mine!

Move slower and not knock the bike next to me off the rack!
Run
  • 37m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I was totally out of energy and really feeling sick by the time I got to the first water station. I had no idea how far I had left to go but I met up with some people that were walking and we started jogging and walking together.

Not much I could have done differently given the circumstances. My lip and whole mouth/chin was sore and throbbing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just didn't feel well today. My lip (fever blisters) really bothered me in the pool b/c I couldn't breathe properly and then my lip dried out on the bike and run which made it hurt a bit.

Event comments:

The race was different with the pool swim but it was well organized and the people were all VERY nice and helpful. I plan to race it again next year and do MUCH better!

Last updated: 2008-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:25 | 328 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 0/63
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 12 laps in 25 meter outdoor swimming pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:40 | 12.3 miles | 15.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Highway ride through farmland and around an industrial airport. Rolling hills and some sharp turns. The road was rough and there was some debris on the shoulder where we were directed to ride.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:21 | 03.11 miles | 12m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Below average
Course: Jogged out of the transition area and onto the main road. My lip was really dry and hurting. I took a water bottle with me and tried to hydrate.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-22 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: Family Fit Fest
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Family Fit Fest Rss Feed