General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Creek Short Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Creek Short Course Triathlon - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo Creek, Colorado
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 32s
Overall Rank = 35/164
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 6. It rained overnight, so things were a bit damp. Got the coffee going and had a pop tart for breakfast. Got the bike ready and all my gear in my bag to go from the campsite to the transition area
Event warmup:

I ran half of the run course nice and easy just to let my legs know the hills that were in store. Drank some gatorade and had a power bar about 1.5 hour before the start. Then did some hill repeats from transition up the road on the run course.
Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Best OWS to date! I was worried a bit and didn't know how this would go. It was pretty chaotic at first and full contact for sure, but I stayed relaxed and didn't panic and had an awesome swim! I even swam pretty straight. I'm just really, really pleased with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Wanted to be under 2 min. Legs were a bit wobbly after the swim, but got the wetsuit off and helmet on, bike shoes on, race belt on, camel back on, and got out of there.

I thought about wearing socks since I had blisters but decided I didn't want to waste more time. Just need to practice getting out of the wetsuit a little faster.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 12s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 10.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode with a camel bak this year. It made a huge difference. I took a little more time in transition, but the hydration helped a lot. I lost my water bottle of gatorade jumping over a waterbar in the road on the way down. I ate a gel right before the big climb back up.

I stayed steady and felt like I had a good ride. I kept thinking I could have pushed more on the single track. I was behind a couple guys that were going slower than I wanted to go, but I decided to try to stay steady and save a little for the run. I knew the run was going to be hard, plus the climb up the hill is hard too.

I would have passed the guys in front of me on the single track and tried to cut some time off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Got into transition and didn't see many bikes, that made me feel good. Got my shoes off and thought about putting socks on because of my blisters, but didn't want to waste any time, so I just put the shoes on barefoot and tookoff.

Nothing
Run
  • 19m 56s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I hit the run pretty good. Made it up the first hill and then was climbing over some logs getting onto the trail section and Ryan Ignatz passed me. He was flying. I ran well, but some of the uphill parts, I had to walk for a minute. It was just tough. Then I stubbed my toe on a rock and almost took a header into the trees. Made it to the waterfall and down the side of it without any problems. I got to the aid station and needed water. Grabbed two cups and they were both gatorade. I needed water. Oh well. Hit the road at the bottom and tried to pick up the pace. Got passed by a guy in made group. Couldn't keep up with him. Then got passed again. I stayed with this guy until right before the finish. I couldn't out kick him. He beat me by 4 seconds.

Just do more trail running to get used to the uneven terrain and the altitude.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Got some food and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more mountain biking and trail running experience.

Event comments:

This is my 3rd triathlon ever. I'm really pleased with my results. I conquered the fear I have of Open water mass swimming and had a great swim. Last year the swim was shortened quite a bit due to water temp below 60 degrees. My run was 4.5 min faster this year. My bike was 5 min faster. If I calc my swim pace from last year, my swim was about 3 min faster. So, I was a good 12.5 min faster than last year for the same distance. I'm really happy with that result. Top 10 in my age group makes me very happy.

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 880 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 0/164
Performance: Good
First time ever swam with a HRM. It seemed pretty accurate. Average HR was 157.
Suit: ProMotion full wetsuit
Course: 390 out to first bouy, 100 yards across to second bouy, 390 back to shore
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:12 | 11.2 miles | 10.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/23
Average hr 166
Wind: None
Course: This course starts out on the forest service road. About a half mile flat, then plunge downhill 3 miles with twists and turns and loose rock and huge holes in the road. I got to be ready for anything. Then it's flat for about another mile. Then it turns into single track climbing for a couple miles. Then downhill about a half mile, then climb back up the same road that you plunge down for 3 miles straight. Just a killer. Granny gear all the way. A real leg burner!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:56 | 02.5 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/23
Average hr 171
Course: Trail run. First half mile is uphill into the woods and then it goes along a hiking trail with rollers and stumps and logs and rocks. Then about halfway, you get to the top of the waterfall. You run down the side of the waterfall on huge steps cut into the side of the hill. Then you run though the trees and then onto the main dirt road for the last mile back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Buffalo Creek Short Course Triathlon

2008-06-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1483818

User image

Veteran
Rocky Mountains
Subject: RE: Buffalo Creek Short Course Triathlon

Hey Man,

Congrats!

Sorry I didn't get to meet you face to face.

RU planning on the Butte or Indian Peaks

2008-06-23 2:35 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Sounds like you made a great improvement from last year.  Congratulations finishing your 3rd triathlon.  Nice job!
2008-06-23 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Very solid throughout. I suck at mtn biking... not the climbing but the descending. Good job on the swim too... I bet its tough getting position on the bike for us slower swimmers.

Keep it up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Creek Short Course Triathlon Rss Feed