General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Naperville, Illinois
United States
US Women's Triathlon Series
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 46s
Overall Rank = 1894/1913
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 405/408
Pre-race routine:

I haven't had much of a pre-race routine up to this point so this part could have gone either way. I started waking up around 3:15, but finally got up at 4. The day before I had more water to drink than I have had before. But I woke up and had a Luna bar and more water. My stomach was queasy so I was amazed that I could get that down. I checked all of my transition items, checked the air in my tires and then packed up and headed out.

I got to the transition area right when it opened so I got a really good place on the bike rack. My wave was the almost as far as you could get from bike out, but it was close to swim out and run out. I guess it's a tradeoff. I got my stuff set up and then started walking the swim out, bike out and run out routes to get comfortable with them.

Being in a tri suit for the first time, I felt all but naked. I don't usually bare my upper arms in public so taking off the shirt was quite uncomfortable. I walked the transition areas like this and eventually I forgot how uncomfortable I was. Then it was time to take off the shorts...ugh! For all of you pear shaped ladies, you know exactly what I was feeling. But I did it. I walked around for 2 hours in my one piece tri suit. If I can do this, I can do anything!!

I need to remember to bring more food to an event. At about 6, I got hungry and someone was nice enough to let me have one of her Luna bars.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of a warm-up. I just got the bike out and shifted it into a lower gear. I didn't get into the water which was probably a good thing. I was already chilly, but after it rained (which caused an hour delay), I was freezing! I don't think it really hurt me though. It probably helped me to keep from getting too cold.
Swim
  • 19m 49s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

After an hour delay and an 80 minutes waiting for my wave to go, I was fairly nervous. I got into the water and it wasn't freezing as I had expected. It was cold, but bearable. But I think my adrenaline took over and I basically hyperventilated through the whole swim. It wasn't pretty. I got kicked in the head and side a couple of times but, surprisingly, it didn't freak me out. At least there was something good about the swim :)

I got to the
What would you do differently?:

I need to be sure and continue stretching while waiting for my wave to go. After the 2:20 delay, I could feel my joints and muscles getting stiff from waiting around.

I need to find a way to control the adrenaline surging through me. I think if I could have been able to catch my breath, I would have had a very good swim. As it was, I shaved 10 minutes off of my best training time. Although I wasn't pleased with the way I got through the swim, I was definitely happy with the time.
Transition 1
  • 10m 35s
Comments:

There was a pretty sizable run through from swim out to the transition area. I was taking it slow (walked the whole way) because I knew I needed to slow my heart rate so I could catch my breath. Then I had to take a potty break. I think the thing that took me the longest was getting my feet clean. Part of the distance between swim out and the transition area was sand and then mud. Other than that, it was pretty easy to throw my shoes, helmet and glasses on.

Assuming I can control my heart rate in the swim, I need to be able to run from swim out to T1. And I need to find a better way to clean off my feet. Also, I would like to be able to run with my bike to bike out and take a running start. Baby steps :)
Bike
  • 1h 08m 41s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 12.06 mile/hr
Comments:

This seemed like the most comfortable part of the race, but in looking at my pace it seems like this is the leg that I paced the same as I did in training. There were a few low grade hills, but overall pretty flat. One part of the road had a lot of patch work so it was a little bumpy. I think at least one person crashed and I saw someone on the side of the road fixing a flat. I was a little paranoid that I was going to have a flat because I didn't bring anything to fix it. Not that I know the first thing about fixing a bike flat.

I had some GU during the first lap which could have been good or bad. I had never had any before and even though everyone had told me to not try anything new on race day, I decided to do it anyway. It wasn't too bad actually. A little bit of an aftertaste, but otherwise good.

An interesting thing happened on the bike. I had some pain in my hands and wrists. I didn't wear gloves and I think that was a problem. I was using my hands to support me quite a lot. I know I need a different bike, but I'm waiting until next season for that. I might experiment with different handle bars to see if that would help for now. And my butt and lady parts started hurting about half way through. I suppose there's no way to get over that except to keep training.

I do have to say that it was discouraging to see people in later waves passing me. But they were always very nice about it. 'On your left...you're doing awesome!' One day I'm going to be the one to say that :)

Learn how to do routine bike maintenance so I don't have to go home with a DNF.
Be more consistent in training so I can go faster :)
Get more comfortable with reaching down for my water when biking.
Don't forget the lip balm at home!
Wear biking gloves.
Transition 2
  • 05m 22s
Comments:

I biked in my running shoes so I didn't have to worry about changing shoes. Although I could feel some sand on my ankle, so I applied more Body Glide. I had an issue with the person next to me. She basically put her bike where mine was supposed to go so I had to move hers in order for my bike to fit. Almost forgot my hat and my race number but remembered to go back and get it. Overall, I didn't feel too badly about this transition.

Need to get better at transitions so I don't forget stuff and have to go back and get it.
Run
  • 50m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 16m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

There was little to no running today. If I had to guess, I would say it was probably 98% walking. I wasn't sure how much I had left in me and didn't want a DNF, so I took it easy. But looking at my pace, it's my fastest pace ever!

I brought a water bottle along with me which helped in keeping me cool. My ankles started hurting at about mile 2, but I tried to keep jogging as much as possible. And I started to feel blisters forming on both feet but I kept going.

Again, on the run as it was on the bike, ladies passing me telling me I was doing a great job and to keep it up. I was amazed at how encouraging everyone was. I have read it here on the boards, but until you experience it first hand, you really can't understand.

One of my goals was to run across the finish line, so I dug deep and kicked it up and ran across the finish line with a big grin! And then I went over to my friends and started blubbering like a baby.

I need to be able to jog most of this leg, but that will come in time.
Not sure I would bring the water bottle along again, especially when I get to the point where I'm running the whole thing.
More Body Glide!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training

Event comments:

I was amazed at all of the volunteers at this race. They were all very encouraging during every leg. Without them, I might have given up. You guys rock! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:49 | 820 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/408
Overall: 0/1913
Performance: Below average
Suit: Danskin 1 piece
Course: 6 zig-zag laps, 6 buoys total
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:41 | 13.8 miles | 12.06 mile/hr
Performance: Average
2 laps total
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly residential
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:20 | 03.11 miles | 16m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Residential streets, riverwalk path
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-23 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville

2008-06-23 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1484073

New user

IL
Subject: RE: Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville
Congrats to you on gutting it out and finishing! You should be really proud of that. I was a little nervous we weren't even going to get the race off with the lightening, but boy did it clear up! It was hot on the run - I wouldn't have minded a little shower to cool off then!

Congrats again-
Amy
2008-06-24 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

Congrats on becoming a triathlete!  Woooooohhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooo.  Great race report.  It seems like you learned a lot of great lessons. 

Nice work!

2008-06-24 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Congratulations, kappie!!!

You did Team Skinny proud!
2008-06-24 9:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-24 4:11 PM

South Elgin, IL
I think you did fantastic! This was my second year doing it and I def. learned a lot in the one year since my last one...next year youll have less adrenaline rush at the start since youll know what to expect when you hit the water. one thing someone clued me into before last year's race was to bring a shallow "gladware" type plastic dish to rinse your feet in...Before you leave the transition area to go swim, set out this dish about half filled with water so that when you come back after the swim into T1, you just have to swish your foot around in it (or maybe swish it and then pour a bottle of water over it too) and ALL the grime and sand comes off. Im super sensitive to sand on my feet so this really was a good trick for me to learn!! Arent you proud of yourself for finishing??? YEA!!

2008-06-24 5:14 PM

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Congrats!!!!
2008-07-01 11:04 AM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Awesome effort! You ROCK!

Now that I know how close you are ... we can practice some stuff together, if you'd like. It's pretty dorky setting up a transition alone in the park ... but with TWO of us practicing ... I'm sure it would be ... um ... less dorky?

Robin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville Rss Feed