United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 59s
Overall Rank = 22/62
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Wasn't planning on doing this race. However, on Saturday got the urge to race and figured a Sunday morning race was a perfect way to start celebrating my 34th birthday.

Event warmup:

About a mile of easing running and some drills 20 minutes before the race. A few strides about 5 minutes before the start.
Run
  • 45m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Had no expectations for this race (knew I was not 100% recovered from the HIM I completed two weeks ago). Just wanted to hold a 7:15 pace for as long as I could.

Gun went off and there was plenty of running room right away (got to love smaller races). Used my Polar footpod to help keep a steady pace. Hit the first mile in 7:05 (a little fast) and the second in 14:18. Hit mile three in 22:00, didn't think I had slowed down that much so I checked the distance on my watch and it read 3.08.

Pulled up along side a woman and we had a nice chat for the next two miles. Still managed to keep right around my 7:15 pace. Hit the mile 5 marker and was on pace for a PR but was starting to feel it. Really focussed on maintaining a steady pace. After what seemed like forever, she asked me how much farther I thought we had. I looked at my watch and said that we had to be close, because according to my watch we should already be done. She took off in a dead sprint never to be seen again.

I finished the last section pretty strong, even holding a guy off in the final kick to the finish shoot.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was my 2cd fastest 10K (if the course was truly long, might have been my fastest).
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around for a bit. Had a lot of people ask me what distance my footpod recorded (based on the general grumblings everybody thought the course was long).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The HIM I completed two weeks ago.

Event comments:

Not a bad race. Could have used some better post race refreshments (they only had oranges, water, and coffee).

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 22/62
Performance: Good
Course: A twisty route through the town of Blissfield. All blacktop, a few mole hills to climb over.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes