Alberta Triathlon Assoiation
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 57m 12s
Overall Rank = 137/158
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 30/37
Pre-race routine:

The prerace routine started with a 15 hour bus trip to Calgary. I had a nice walk Thursday night to loosen up the legs. I got to room with Nick and Terry, fellow BTers. Some men look better fully clothed and these are two prime examples of them.
On Friday the bus people did some bike tuning, my roomies drove the bike course and I went shopping with Jeannette. The hotel provided a huge breakfast and as I was going to be walking for most of the day I took in as much as I could including bacon bagel sandwiches to sticky buns an omelette a variety of juices and coffee. Lunch included water and a latte at Starbucks. Jen and I went to see Get Smart. After the movie we walked 3 miles back to the hotel to get ready for the banquet. We hooked up with the bus people and then waited an hour and a half for a cab to take us 2 miles. As an aside that cabs in Calgary were terrible but at least the drivers were polite. Jen and I got to the banquet halfway through the meal which was lasagna and it filled the hole. Also I had a chance to meet Jason the fourth roommate. He was very gracious in taking the cot. I think he had the right idea because he put it in the master bedroom with Terri and Nick which was air-conditioned. My pull out couch was very comfortable with the room was much warmer. I think I needed my room cooler and really rest well but it wasn't an issue and besides Nick was cold and would.nt spoon with Terri to keep warm.
After Jeannette left and the bus people went to bed, I went up to the room and put my numbers on ended one final check of my race kit. My three roommates were already in the dark. I spent the next hour reading to relax eating banana chips and flax chips.
Event warmup:

Saturday morning I got up bright and early with Terri again for coffee. I had a banana peanut butter wrapped for breakfast and one bottle of water. The roomies were carpooling to the race and I got on with the bust people and we were down to the site by six thirtyish.
To try and alleviate the anxiety I felt last year at the swim start, I got in the water early and swam around for 10 or 15 minutes to get the blood going. I felt I was ready as I know I could swim and I knew I could bike but had no preconceived notions about a run at all. I had been mentally prepared at the first sign of pain to DNf this race or walk it.
Swim
  • 36m 25s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I guess I knew what was coming. I started out really well and then I got knocked around and lost my breathing rhythm. The heart rate spiked much similar to last year. So instead of fighting it I just let it happen because I knew it would leave me eventually and breaststroke for about two minutes. And then I was off like a shot. Going around the buoys was pretty good but the first one I think I meant more under it than around it and lost sight of the next week but picked it up pretty quick.
What would you do differently?:

I enjoyed the swim once I got going, my breathing was really good. But once again due to our weather I really should've had the wetsuit on more than twice before this race, but I can't do anything about that. I also think that I should of got in the water closer to the back of the pack then perhaps there wouldn't have been that pressure to go so quick right off the bat. But this is happened to me before and I knew how to handle it. Don't think just be!
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

I had my stuff set up exactly where I wanted it but I really think this is something I have to practice so instead of just grabbing something willy-nilly I have a routine. As I was exiting the water the race director yelled at 36 minutes way to go!

I've got a practice these transitions.
Bike
  • 3h 32m
  • 59.65 miles
  • 16.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this was going to be a pretty good bike right from the beginning, as my legs were turning over fast and I was in a high ring for most of it. Just as I was getting out of the city a coyote cross my path. I took this as a sign from the tri-gods but I would finish this race. Jan caught me in the first 5 miles as she did last year and she was flying. At about 20 miles mark my back started to tighten up and it was a little bit uncomfortable. At the turnaround the bus people and my roomies and pretty much everyone else had passed me. I got off my bike and walk for about two minutes and felt great. I was drinking every 2 miles and was very comfortable with my nutrition although I had planned to have a bar every 10 miles but had only had one to this point. As I started the return, I could see Sonia coming on. She was the bus owner and was suffering from a terrible cold or virus she picked up on Friday. We didn't think she was in a race today and she was not a strong swimmer and her chest was terrible.
The ride back to Calgary was faster than the ride out and usually it's the other way around for me. There was a couple climbs ahead to put in the granny gear but I don't feel like I was taxed at all. I maintain a comfortable pace, enjoy the scenery, encourage my homies and stayed in a moment.

This was a good ride for me, I really didn't have any issues. Scoob had adjusted my seat the night before and I think it made a big difference as I enjoyed this ride immensely. I experienced no back pain on the way back to Calgary.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Dismounted, change shirt and shoes and was ready for the run.

Again, this is something I have to practice a little more of but the big thing is not putting my run stuff in the anthill. I realized as I was putting on my shoes at the end for all over it and I look down and truly were all over my stuff. It gave me the creeps to have the ants crawling up my legs.
Run
  • 2h 38m 38s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I made it around the first lap in 118. I walked the eight stations and took in lots to drink and was trying to figure out if I was going to go for another lap or not. The body was fine but I did not have the run fitness to do this thing with any speed at all. But I figured I'd just go till I couldn't go any further and then walk. I started playing little games like just get to the next section, just get to the next section. I couldn't believe it but there was actually a chance that at running 5 miles an hour I could still break the seven hour mark. Three months ago I thought 630 had a chance but then when I got hurt I figured maybe 730.
As I walked up the last hill which is maybe half a mile from the end my calves started to cramp. Thankfully there was nobody around to hear my girlish screams as I clutched and grabbed on both sides. According to my watch I had about five minutes to possibly get a PR on this race even at a 2 1/2 hour half marathon. As I made the turn to come down home shoe the left calf really cramped up at all I didn't scream I started the limp three steps later the right when went and I was almost hobbled and I felt like I was going down. But I could see all my homies at the finish line and the Cavs held up and I crossed a couple minutes faster than last year. There was no way they should've happened.
The tri-gods were smiling!

Given the hand I was dealt there's nothing I could have done differently. There was a couple spots running through the desert that I was actually hoping for pain so I have an excuse to give up. But I kept seeing that coyote in my path on the bike and banished those thoughts. I kept thinking how cool it would be to finish this thing only training into disciplines. I made everyone promised to wait for me to the finish line and they did and it was terrific!
Post race
Warm down:

The Cavs were cramping in spasming but once I got into the lake it was a great relief to watch the salt sweat mud off me and I felt like a new man. Took in s'more water and some fruit and listen to the adventures of Terri and Nick and the bus people.
Jan the girl I ran with last year and who works for my bos law'ss and who's only been training for 18 months with the second overall female and first in her age group. Sonia managed to catch up to Scoob and they crossed the finish line together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things here, first was the back injury I suffered 10 weeks ago and had only recovered recently. Lack of training and run fitness killed this leg of the journey but the fact that I was still maintaining a strong swim and cycle regime got me across the finish line overall. Also, as I say in almost every race report I may still be a little heavy. But the world loves a short fat bald guy!

Event comments:

You never run a perfect race. This is the third time I have come here and I always enjoy it though matter what happens. I am most heartened by the fact that my body can take the punishment and they can train hard summer. The volunteers organization and overall atmosphere of this race makes it truly pleasurable experience. Between my roomies and my bus people this race was the most fun I ever had this year at this race.

Last updated: 2008-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:25 | 2000 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/37
Overall: 59/158
Performance: Good
I just used my Timex watch and although I brought the rest of the gadgets I did and use them.
Suit: orca predator
Course: This is a triangular course similar to last couple years and just slightly altered and as you make your first lap you have to get out of the water for about 10 m and go round a big rock and then jump back in the water.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 18F / -8C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:32:00 | 59.65 miles | 16.88 mile/hr
Overall: 125/158
Performance: Good
I stuck with the bike computer at my watch.
Wind: Some
Course: This is a beautiful bike course with long rolling hills. It is an out and back course that was well marked, plenty of volunteers, and my police brothers at the major intersections.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:38:38 | 13.05 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 141/158
Performance: Bad
Just used my watch here.
Course: This is a two lap course. The first section is through a residential area then you go down into the park. This section was very hot and felt more than 25°C. I made it into the trees along the river going very slowly but I wasn't in pain and I felt mentally fresh. I really thought I was going to have to walk this and was heartened by the fact that I was running although what I was doing probably was not considered running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes