Cutting Edge Events
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 56m 28s
Overall Rank = 8/166
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Relaxed by watching the Cardinals on TV the night before. Put on some tunes and laid in bed.
It isn't a routine yet, because it's the first time I've done it, but I wrote up my race plan using lots of positive words and imagery. I reviewed it several times in an effort to make what I wrote down, become reality.
Event warmup:

I got in the water and swam just a little bit to make sure my breathing was relaxed and my suit was comfortable. I never got too worked up about this swim, so I was pretty happy just not to be nervous.
Swim
  • 35m 34s
  • 1900 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Starting out in the competitive was was probably silly, but it was a good mental hurdle to overcome. Most everybody just got out in front of me quickly and never looked back. I only passed a couple of swimmers who went out too hard. On the other hand, I was taking it pretty easy, not wanting to have my HR sky-high in T1, so I think I got what I deserved. In my plan, I had budgeted about 35min for the swim, and I was right on that.
I intended to draft more, but I didn't have much success with that. Feet would just pass me by. I feel like I did this swim solo.
What would you do differently?:

Focus even more on settling in behind some feet.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

11th OA here. Easy jog up to my bike. Got everything ready quickly and only had to run a few steps with my bike before the mount/dismount line.

I could have gone faster. I let my HR settle a bit, though, and played this pretty conservatively.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.29 mile/hr
Comments:

The goal going in was to drink lots and go fast. I did okay on those goals.
Started off relatively easy with the words of my coach echoing in my ear, "First 20 minutes conservative. The race is not won or lost in the first 20 minutes." I had to let some much stronger cyclist pass me without so much as a fight. And I even let some weaker cyclists pass me, too, knowing that I'd get my shot at them later on. So I followed the rules and followed my fuel plan. I just took what my heart rate would give me, because that's all I can do.
I hit a low spot about 2hrs in. My quads were starting to get a little achy, and were talking to me. I relaxed a bit, took in Thermolytes, a couple extra swigs of gatorate, and started to feel better. Towards the last 10 miles, I really started feeling good and probably peaked for the whole race at about the 2:30 mark. I felt great and reeled in several cyclist who had passed me early on. I was getting excited to run!

*Challenging cross-winds for the vast majority of the ride really caused all riders to engage core muscles more, and that takes a toll over the course of 56 miles. * just a side-note about the event.

I would drink more. I never had to pee, which is fine with me, but I think I could have safely absorbed more liquid calories. I don't get the feeling that I underfueled because I don't think my performance suffered, but if it had been hotter, or if I were riding 112 instead of 56, it would have become a factor. I'll work on that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

10th OA. 3rd in AG.
Quickly executed.

Not make a wrong move toward the wrong exit.
Run
  • 1h 33m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

After 3 miles in high z2, I stopped running conservatively, and finally had the go-ahead to move up to high z3. I held that effort for the next 7 miles. About the half-way point, I developed a blister on the bottom of my left foot. It stung badly, so I contorted my foot to stop the pain, but it was no use. I found it more comfortable to run on a left slant, so I spent a good deal of time running on basically the wrong side of the road. Oh well. I filled my water flask at each aid station, and took my pills and gels at the right times. I never had a side-stitch or a cramp at all. I would have liked more cold sponges out there, but it was nice to even get them twice.
I had a great run and caught up with a lot of people who went too hard on the bike, especially a couple of guys in my AG. I made up a ton of time on the run, and the way I executed the bike ride, really gets a lot of the credit.

More water.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around and hung out with the BT peeps, CKinsey, Umbach, and NewburghBrett. All great guys with wonderful families. It was a pleasure to get to race with them and hang out with them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a strong tail-wind?

Event comments:

This race gets good reviews from me because of the atmosphere. There are lots of supportive, positive people out there. The competitors were generally very nice. The Cutting Edge folks really made a great effort to take care of everybody at the finish line. Good stuff.

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:34 | 1900 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 44/166
Performance: Good
Checked my watch after the first loop and saw 17:31 with AVG HR - 136. The second loop, I actually increased my effort and was aiming to negative split, but ended up 17:58 with AVG HR - 155.
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: 2 loops with a beach exit to report your number.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:45:38 | 56 miles | 20.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 31/166
First 1:20 was at AVG HR - 153. Perfectly situated at the top of Z3. I wish I could go those speeds in Z2, but it ain't happening! So Z3 it is! Remainder of ride was AVG HR - 152. I tried to maintain pace, but be a little bit more conservative, knowing that I wanted to have as good of a run as possible.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out-and-back style with two loops at the end of it. Mostly flat with a couple rollers. Smooth pavement for the most part, but there were some sketchy sections with lots of gravel.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:33:16 | 13.1 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 5/166
I'm a little ticked that the course wasn't well marked beyond 3mi, and that I didn't have my Garmin because the jerks haven't fixed it yet. But that's neither here nor there. mile 1 - 7:06 AVG HR - 155 mile 2 - 6:54 AVG HR - 159 mile 3 - 7:23 AVG HR - 159 NO individual mile data after that, however, the remaining 1hr+ was at AVG HR 165!
Course: 2x out-and-back. pretty flat. couple little rollers. some shade/sun mixed, and a little bit of hiway with a little bit of country roads.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2008-06-30 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1499049

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic

Holy smokes, what a time! Nice job. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet (I was the HIM noob in the BT gear). Sounds like you had your nutition and pace plan worked out perfectly, or near enough. Best of luck on the upcoming IM race.  Thanks for sharing your race experience.

peace,  John

2008-06-30 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Awsome execution of your plan! Great race!!
2008-06-30 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Great race!!  You smoked that course.  Hope the pizza was good, I had some too.  It was really nice to meet you and look forward to hanging out some in Louisville.
2008-06-30 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Freaking 4:56...Nice !!!

Sounds like you had a good time too...That's great!

2008-06-30 9:34 PM

User image

Westminster, CO
solid!  that run is simply smoking!!  Holy #&$(*#!  Well done!

2008-07-01 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I knew you'd be fast... but you went even faster than I imagined!! WTG! What were your goals for this race? I can't wait to see what you do in Louisville. Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed