General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to improve bilateral breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-22 2:01 PM

Subject: How to improve bilateral breathing
I breathe on my left comfortably and am trying to learn bilateral breathing. I feel like my body stops when I try to breathe on my right and feels very awakward (not so much about the breathing itself but what to do with my left arm, like when it should start pulling..). Are there any good drills to improve this situation?

Thanks,

Yoshiko

2005-01-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #107041

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: How to improve bilateral breathing

The one that helped me alot was the one arm drill.  Click on the link below and read about it.  You can also watch the video on the top right corner if you can't visualize it.

It forced me to work on my weak side, in breathing and arm strength and balance. 

http://www.goswim.tv/drilloftheweek_comments.php?id=1071_0_20_0_C#

2005-01-22 10:03 PM

Thanks for the link. Look forward to trying the drill in a few days.
2005-01-23 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
New Haven, Connecticut
When i was learning how to bilateral breath, what worked for me was to watch and observe my technique on the side that I was comfortable breathing from (it was my left side). Once I did this, I was able to reproduce my breathing technique, but on my right. Overall, it was really only a week or two before my right breathing side was as comfortable as my left side. However, I must warn, I swallowed an awlful lot of pool water in that first week. Good luck. You can do this!!
2005-01-23 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
I'm trying that catch up drill breathing only on my weak side. It is helping slowly but surely. It lets me focus on (for me) the left a bit more. I also have tried a pull only drill with a buoy between my legs. I still swallow more water than air. The hardest part for me is to stay calm and realize I'll get another chance to breathe on the next stroke.

Good luck.
2005-01-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: #107325

olddskool - 2005-01-23 10:23 AM

When i was learning how to bilateral breath, what worked for me was to watch and observe my technique on the side that I was comfortable breathing from (it was my left side). Once I did this, I was able to reproduce my breathing technique, but on my right. Overall, it was really only a week or two before my right breathing side was as comfortable as my left side. However, I must warn, I swallowed an awlful lot of pool water in that first week. Good luck. You can do this!!

I have been trying that - I just can't transfer what I can do on my left to my right...... I am at the point where I don't swallow water any more, but I slow down too much....

2005-01-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: #107343

iceit99 - 2005-01-23 11:45 AM

I'm trying that catch up drill breathing only on my weak side. It is helping slowly but surely. It lets me focus on (for me) the left a bit more. I also have tried a pull only drill with a buoy between my legs. I still swallow more water than air. The hardest part for me is to stay calm and realize I'll get another chance to breathe on the next stroke.

Good luck.

I should give it a try to the buoy. Thanks!

2005-01-23 4:03 PM

Veteran
SF soon!
My coach has me doing drills, drills, and more drills on my weak (left) side. Basically, you start by floating on your back, then you raise one arm over your head, balance on your side, turn face down, then do a series of zipper and catch/pull drills - repeatedly just on that one side. Once you're comfortable, try swimming a few freestyle laps while doing the bilateral breathing. I was comfortably able to do so after a couple of days of one-sided drills.

Edited by adventuress 2005-01-23 4:05 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to improve bilateral breathing Rss Feed